Author Topic: Hair Regulations - Female Members of CF  (Read 149992 times)

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Hair Regulations - Female Members of CF
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2010, 03:06:22 »
So my hair is a no go, great, thanks mom for passing down your genes.

Those are nice cuts and everything but it won't mean anything to my hair it will just curl like crazy (like in my picture) the shorter the curlier and more wild. My hair will be sticking out at weird angles, flipping all over the place, doing drugs and having unprotected sex, I have no control over my hair and there's nothing I can do about it. It drives me crazy.

I guess I'll just have to cut it all super short and gel it like there's no tomorrow, I'm sure I can find some cuts that aren't too manly.
Oh well, thanks anyways.  =(

Your hair is far from curly. My hair ... is curly. Think afro curly. Think afro curls and spots where it all naturally bunches into one big clump of a ringlet. And frizzy. Naturally. Curly hair is  natural and allowable.

Having cuts that hang way down in front past the collar level while short in the back is not a natural cut. Allowing curly hair to frizz all over is not allowed. My curls are fine even when hanging to my collar, but I do use a leave in conditioner or anti-frizz so that it doesn`t look like my finger was stuck into a light socket.

Think carrot top and then you have my hair. Shoulder length. It can be tamed. This I know. I have to do it every day. I`ll get a couple pics of mine .... before and after.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Sparkplugs

• Rate Post
  • Herc Junkie.
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2010, 15:57:08 »
I had the shaved head at basic -- bleh, not really by choice, but by stupidity.  One weekend near grad, I dyed my hair black, my staff didn't like it, so off it went!  Worst 8 bucks I ever spent on a haircut, hahahaha!  My hair's ridiculously thick, so it grew out standing straight up -- I looked like a tennis ball for many many months, but it grew back.  Now I'm sitting here in Afghanistan trying really really hard not to shave it all off -- it was so convenient and easy!  (Must think of wedding in 6 months -- would like to have hair for it!)
pilot:  Number 3 engine missing.
tech: Engine found on right wing after brief search.

pilot: Aircraft handles funny.
tech: Aircraft told to straighten up, fly right and be serious

Offline GenePool

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2010, 11:52:43 »
I had the shaved head at basic -- bleh, not really by choice, but by stupidity.  One weekend near grad, I dyed my hair black, my staff didn't like it, so off it went!  Worst 8 bucks I ever spent on a haircut, hahahaha!  My hair's ridiculously thick, so it grew out standing straight up -- I looked like a tennis ball for many many months, but it grew back.  Now I'm sitting here in Afghanistan trying really really hard not to shave it all off -- it was so convenient and easy!  (Must think of wedding in 6 months -- would like to have hair for it!)

Interesting, as I was reading through this I pondered whether or not any women would choose to shave their heads during BMQ.  In your case, from what I can tell, it was not really by choice. 

I supposed I would be safe in assuming that a woman with a shaved head wouldn't be deemed to have an 'exaggerated' haircut then?

Online PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2010, 13:24:52 »
I supposed I would be safe in assuming that a woman with a shaved head wouldn't be deemed to have an 'exaggerated' haircut then?

I don't know that females can shave their head bald, however, I have seen some that are quite short.  Most of those were in Afghanistan.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2010, 16:23:55 »
I've been known to be bald.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2010, 16:30:21 »
I've been known to be bald.

...and I says "Pardon!!??"

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2010, 17:21:36 »
...and I says "Pardon!!??"

MM

Out of the gutter; you're not a pilot.

Vern - Trenton circa Y2K ...
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2010, 17:25:47 »
Sounds more like you were in MY gutter...I was just having problems picturing you with your melon shaved - this a Cops for Canncer thing or something to that effect?  Or did someone just dare you?

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2010, 02:45:30 »
Sounds more like you were in MY gutter...I was just having problems picturing you with your melon shaved - this a Cops for Canncer thing or something to that effect?  Or did someone just dare you?

MM

Nah, although I've gone a couple rounds with the big C (& am still smoking  :-\), this particular pic was unrelated to any of that.

A few of the Snr Officers from Trenton anted up their hair as part of United Way fundraising. I think it was 10 grand per haircut. When the day came for the deed to be done, they had their heads shaved down to mere #2s by the barber (Air Force guys you know ...  >:D). I made a comment that I'd go totally "bald" as that was what the deal was supposed to be. Someone said "yeah, right". So, up I walked and told the barber they had brought in to take it all off. He did. After that, the Officers had their hair re-cut down to bald.

It was just one of those things. I can't remember how much we actually raised that year, but it was awesome and record setting.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2010, 03:11:22 »

I never walked around bald as a habit, mind you, I have always had very short haircuts since my entry into the CF. I have naturally curly red afro hair. Think Carrot Top & Lil Orphan Annie. I haven't had a haircut since last Nov 8th as I promised my kids I'd go a full year without cutting it to see what it ends up like. I have only just managed to get it into a braid last week. it looks goofy - it'll be gone this Nov 9th I swear.

In 90-91, I was tasked to Goose Bay from CFB Halifax to work with the MPs there and 119 AD Arty out of Chatam to perform the searchs on female innuit that were arrested during the Low-Level Flight Protests. I had a crew-cut at the time - Marine style. No one from either of those Units had an issue with it and I recall one occasion where I was used as the demo model for one of the troops who was deemed to be "in need" of a haircut when they called me in and said to him, "if your hair is longer than hers, you need a haircut."

In late 90, 119 AD was pulled out so that they could man the ships heading out to Gulf War I. They were replaced by the Van Doos. One crusty old guy in the Van Doos (a Sgt) did have a problem with my haircut. He stood me to attention one day and raged all over me about how he was going to have me charged with "personating a male". I reached under my shirt, pulled out my bra strap and said "show me a man who wears a bra to work with his uniform and I'll show you someone you can charge." I didn't get charged (caveat: for that 'personating').

When I disembarked the herc at CFS Alert in 98, and walked into the theatre for the new-arrivals in-brief by the CO & SWO, the SWO made the comment "I can see we're not going to have a problem with your hair while you're here" before launching into his speil about dress & deportment on station.

So, other than that one incident - I've never had an issue or gotten any grief over having a number 2 or 3 as a female. Circa Y2K, # 3 and 4 became my 'norm' ... and people were commenting then about me letting my hair grow so long.  8)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 03:15:02 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline GenePool

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2010, 14:04:11 »

One crusty old guy in the Van Doos (a Sgt) did have a problem with my haircut. He stood me to attention one day and raged all over me about how he was going to have me charged with "personating a male". I reached under my shirt, pulled out my bra strap and said "show me a man who wears a bra to work with his uniform and I'll show you someone you can charge." I didn't get charged (caveat: for that 'personating').

That made me spit a portion of my coffee out on to my keyboard.  :salute:

Offline medicineman

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2010, 14:23:21 »
I actually remember my CSM in St Jean who was a gazillion years old letting loose on the women that had their hair cut to male standards or shorter...he didn't want to have to guess people's gender.  Women were to look like women and men like men .

MM
MM

Offline Pearlina

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2011, 15:13:49 »
I am curious as to what types of updo's are acceptable. I currently wear a bun everyday,  I would love to try something new such as a neatly tucked french twist, or something to that effect. Very conservative, would not interfere with the wearing of head dress, and would not be excessivly tall, or big.  Also a neat roll at the nap of the neck, same basic idea only instead of vertical the roll is horizontal, securely and discreetly pinned, styled and pulled away from the face.  I will be doing the hairstyles at home, taking pictures and bringing them in to see if they are approved or not before sporting them at garrison of course. Just wondering if anyone else currently does them or has seen them.  Also we are about 10 to 15 females at my unit and well, most have either short hair or are fine with sporting a bun everyday.

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2011, 16:57:19 »
I am curious as to what types of updo's are acceptable. I currently wear a bun everyday,  I would love to try something new such as a neatly tucked french twist, or something to that effect. Very conservative, would not interfere with the wearing of head dress, and would not be excessivly tall, or big.  Also a neat roll at the nap of the neck, same basic idea only instead of vertical the roll is horizontal, securely and discreetly pinned, styled and pulled away from the face.  I will be doing the hairstyles at home, taking pictures and bringing them in to see if they are approved or not before sporting them at garrison of course. Just wondering if anyone else currently does them or has seen them.  Also we are about 10 to 15 females at my unit and well, most have either short hair or are fine with sporting a bun everyday.

I've seen both and never heard of anyone getting jacked up for it.  The standard is nothing 'way out there', must be away from the face and off the neck.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline Sparkplugs

• Rate Post
  • Herc Junkie.
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2011, 08:00:26 »

I have seen women doing each of these, but if you check the dress regs, they're not in there.  All that's allowed to long hair, is a french braid, down the back, not extending past your armpit in length, 2 french braids, also worn down the back and not longer than your armpit height, or a bun -- unless you have a 'growing it out' chit, but as soon as it's long enough to bun or braid, that's where it's supposed to be.  And I had such a crappy time trying to explain this one on Remembrance Day, but in DEU's, it's a bun only, no braids allowed.

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2011, 08:43:17 »
I have seen women doing each of these, but if you check the dress regs, they're not in there.  All that's allowed to long hair, is a french braid, down the back, not extending past your armpit in length, 2 french braids, also worn down the back and not longer than your armpit height, or a bun -- unless you have a 'growing it out' chit, but as soon as it's long enough to bun or braid, that's where it's supposed to be.  And I had such a crappy time trying to explain this one on Remembrance Day, but in DEU's, it's a bun only, no braids allowed.

If you check the regs it doesn't even say that buns are permitted (except for the note):

Women (see Figure 2-2-3). Hair shall not
extend below the lower edge of the shirt
collar. Exaggerated styles, including those
with excessive fullness or extreme height,
are not authorized. Braids, if worn...

Regarding hair during parades:

Female personal appearance on
ceremonial parade in accordance
with Figure 2-2-3; straight hairstyles
will be gathered in a bun. This is
also applicable for the cornrows.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Offline Pearlina

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2011, 15:22:47 »
And see by the dress regs not specifically stating bun then any suitable hair do would be therefore exceptable as long as it falls within those regulations.  Definantly something I will bring up to my staff. Not that I'm trying to be poop disturber, I just like having options while remaining within the regulations.  I will definantly be printing out the exerpt from the regs and putting it in my wallet though so if anyone asks I can say look its within regs, especially since the only hair specific unit regs we have are for men and the difference between tapered and straight back haircuts. (straight back not allowed).  thanks to everyone for helping with the clarifications especially since we are so few women here and none seem to be overly interested in changing their hair styles except me.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2011, 15:28:42 »
And see by the dress regs not specifically stating bun then any suitable hair do would be therefore exceptable acceptable as long as it falls within those regulations.  Definantly something I will bring up to my staff. Not that I'm trying to be poop disturber, I just like having options while remaining within the regulations. 

Be careful how you write things.  There is a great difference between except and accept.   

I will definantly be printing out the exerpt from the regs and putting it in my wallet though so if anyone asks I can say look its within regs, especially since the only hair specific unit regs we have are for men and the difference between tapered and straight back haircuts. (straight back not allowed).  thanks to everyone for helping with the clarifications especially since we are so few women here and none seem to be overly interested in changing their hair styles except me.
???

The Regulations on how to wear your hair are not "unit regs", they are CF Regulations.

I would advise you to think this over.  When you do print off the proper Regulations, you will find that there are indeed Regulations for Female hair styles.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2011, 19:42:03 »
But the styles revolve around how to wear a braid an when one can wear a ponytail (it's really only in one situation so if none of you have seen it then you probably don't have permission/need to wear your hair that way).
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Offline Pearlina

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2011, 13:23:18 »
Be careful how you write things.  There is a great difference between except and accept.   
 ???

The Regulations on how to wear your hair are not "unit regs", they are CF Regulations.

I would advise you to think this over.  When you do print off the proper Regulations, you will find that there are indeed Regulations for Female hair styles.

In reference to the Unit regs, Yes the hair regulations are CF not unit, however my unit has also imposed stricter regulations in terms of the men being able to have straight back vs tapered back.  A hair cut in which the hair is cropped in straight line across the back of the neck is not allowed at my unit. Men are only allowed to sport the tapered back here. Anything else will result in a swift jacking for the men even though the regulations for the CF state that a straight back is fine.

Also I have thouroughly read the CF regultaions on female hair and it does not specifically state that hair must be in a bun unless on parade.  All that is stated is how it cannot be excessively large and should be conservatively styled away from the face, off the collar, not strange colours and of course the various styles permitted for braids/ cornrolls. So keeping that in mind I think most people just default to the standard Bun simply because it is the most commonly seen hair style on females.  I have not attempted anything new as of yet simply because the plan of action is to style hair at home, take pictures, then submit for approval through my staff before sporting a new do.

Also thanks for catching the grammatical error.  :)

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2011, 14:13:41 »
CF Regs trump Unit Regs.  Anyway, from A-AD-265-000/AG-001 CANADIAN FORCES DRESS
INSTRUCTIONS:

5. The following additional details apply to
specific groups to accord with religious and spiritual
practices and public perceptions of a disciplined
force:
a. Men (see Figure 2-2-1). Hair shall be taper-trimmed
at the back, sides, and above the
ears to blend with the hair-style
; be no
more than 15 cm (6 in.) in length and
sufficiently short that, when the hair is
groomed and headdress is removed, no
hair shall touch the ears or fall below the
top of the eyebrows; be no more than 4 cm
(1-1/2 in.) in bulk at the top of the head,
gradually decreasing to blend with the
taper-trimmed sides and back; and be kept
free from the neck to a distance of 2.5 cm
(1 in.) above the shirt collar. Taper trimmed
square back styles and shaving of all the
hair on the head are permitted.

As well:

b. Women (see Figure 2-2-3). Hair shall not
extend below the lower edge of the shirt
collar. Exaggerated styles, including those
with excessive fullness or extreme height,
are not authorized. Braids, if worn, shall be
styled conservatively and tied tightly:
secured at the end by a knot or a small
unadorned fastener. A single braid shall be
worn in the centre of the back. Double
braids shall be worn behind the shoulders.
Hair shall be a maximum length when
gathered behind the head and braided
which does not extend below the top of the
armpit. Multiple braids (cornrows) shall be
directed toward the back of the head,
pulled tight to the head and secured at the
end by a knot or a small-unadorned
fastener. Multiple braids extending below
the lower edge of the collar are to be
gathered in a bun. With the permission of a
Commanding Officer, a reasonable period
may be authorized in order to transition
from short to long hairstyles, during which
time hair may extend below the lower edge
of the shirt collar; all the while maintaining a
positive military appearance, and subject to
the member’s safety.

and:

NOTE

Female personal appearance on
ceremonial parade in accordance
with Figure 2-2-3; straight hairstyles
will be gathered in a bun. This is
also applicable for the cornrows.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2011, 14:15:26 »
Dress regs states at the beginning (reference Chapter 1 para 3):
CF Dress Instructions shall be interpreted as follows: if an item is not included in these instructions, it is not authorized.

Therefore, if it doesn't specifically state what you CAN do then you CAN'T do it.

Reference: Chapter 2, Section 2, para 5b begins:
Women (see Figure 2-2-3).

It is saying to look at the Figure (which includes cornrows, buns, braids and short hair).  Regardless of how you might interrupt the "conservatively styled..etc etc", if the picture of how you want your hair is not in this picture, it is not allowed.
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2011, 15:00:58 »
If that's the case than you cannot do a bun by using a single braid (twisting is around and pinning), or tuck the bottom of a french braid up under the braid and pin that.  We've all seen it and some have even been taught it.

See how silly that sounds?

In the same vein every man would have to have a part on the side of his head.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 15:10:20 by Strike »
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Offline Sparkplugs

• Rate Post
  • Herc Junkie.
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2011, 16:53:30 »
If that's the case than you cannot do a bun by using a single braid (twisting is around and pinning), or tuck the bottom of a french braid up under the braid and pin that.  We've all seen it and some have even been taught it.

See how silly that sounds?

In the same vein every man would have to have a part on the side of his head.

I was specifically told when I was on course that those were two things that were definitely not allowed -- the tucked french braid and the braid wound into a bun.  We were shown pictures right out of the regs, and told, "These are your options.  That's it."

Yes, I've seen women doing the other things too, but perhaps it's only because no one has jacked them up for it?  I know as a Jr NCM, there's no way I'd tell a female MWO, "Ma'am, your hair is out of regs," unless I wanted a world of hurt.  I get jacked up for my double braids all the time, so I started carrying around a print-out of the pictures from the dress regs.  I find that most times, it's only because it's not super commonly seen, and males aren't always sure about the female hair regs, so I have no problem sharing them.

A parting of the hair is not the same as a picture of a bun.  I don't think it sounds silly at all.  I don't see anything wrong with conforming to one of the three long hair options when I'm in uniform.  My time out of uniform is what I reserve for individuality, creativity, and 'fun' hairstyles.  Work is work.  I'm told to dress a certain way, and do my hair a certain way, so I do.

Offline Pearlina

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2011, 17:17:22 »
Well taking everyones points into consideration I will just stay with the bun this way I don't get jacked.