Author Topic: Weight Requirement  (Read 22660 times)

Offline >>Paladin<<

• Rate Post
  • "In Pace Paratus"
Re: Weight Requirement
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2006, 12:33:29 »
In my limited experience so far, the weight, height and muscle issues are still pretty huge amongst a lot of CF members. This post started out with a guy who wanted to inquire about the optimal weight for Infanteers and turned into "how to win a fitness/beauty contest". When I did my QL3 031 a few years back, I saw people in all sorts of shapes and sizes...all worrying about the same thing..."Am I fit enough?" That soon changed to..."Am I going to finish?" I was one of the three lightest and shortest guys out of 30 odd pers at 5'8 and 140 lbs; the average being 160 lbs. I will admit that those 20 and 40 km humps were challenging but certainly not impossible and I guess the biggest dificulty I had was the carrying of heavier loads over longer distances...but the advantages of being light were also not things to be taken lightly :) for example I could move faster than most people on fighting patrols and section attacks and obstacle/assault courses were always easier with FFO especially those godforsaken tunnels (in which some of the bigger guys got stuck in from time to time hehe).  After completing the course (and thank God for that!) I started a strict regimen of protein, weight training and smaller meals (5-6 small meals) everyday (with help from a PSP coordinator) and gained the extra lbs of muscle and stability within a couple of years. Now at 165 lbs, playing soldier is a little more fun and sure the loads on the back seem a little lighter (but not all the time as distances can weigh any man/woman down after a while)...moral of the story is that weight or height was never a deciding factor in working within the combat arms, infact it only crossed my mind much later on. To get through training you need a complex combination of certain things; will power, adapatibility, good attitude tied with a good sense of humour and a level of fitness you can deem as your own strength. If you have them you will see that training becomes a lot more fun and manageable to your own mind/body duality. After-all training is what you make it out to be...regardless of weight, height, etc. Hope that helps!

Cheers!  :salute:
"I chose nothing...I was born and this is what I am."---Achilles---

Offline the_midge

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2006, 12:48:24 »
The actual # on the scale is so immaterial.

I'm 5'2" standing on my tippie-toes, and I currently weigh 120 lbs. I look like I weigh about 100lbs.

Gotta love that muscle.  ;D

"Politics is for people who have a passion for changing life but lack a passion for living it" -- Tom Robbins

Offline Castle

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2006, 23:07:59 »
do basic exercises...pushup...situps..chinups...run...as long as you can carry your own weight...size does not matter...plus it means that you can fit your skinny body into the tight spots...so you'll come in handy.