Author Topic: Personal car at Basic, or other courses? [MERGED]  (Read 38457 times)

Offline SirMoose

• Rate Post
Re: Personal car at Basic, or other courses? [MERGED]
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2006, 14:03:41 »
I will be there starting Oct. 16, and I was told no cars allowed for the first four weeks. After that if we get leave, we are allowed to return with a car. Still not sure if I will bring mine, I guess I'll wait till I get leave first.

Offline Mayhem911

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2006, 14:16:25 »
Nice, I'll ask my recruiter about that. I'm just not a big fan of taking a bus home every time. The issues about the snow removal make a lot of sense though, I never though of that. There would be cars everywhere that do not move for weeks, which would make it kinda hard to clear the snow.

Offline SiS

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2006, 21:38:20 »
I was told by my recruiting officer not to bring my car to bmq because there wasn't much parking, but when I got there and talked to a few recruits who said that they had no trouble parking, so on week 4 I brought my car back. At no point during the rest of my stay there did the lot alloted for recruits reach even half full.
If everyone were to bring their cars however, the lot would fill up easily. If you bring your car, you do take the risk that if the lot is full, you'll be stuck having to find some place to park your car for the rest of the week as you're CB all week.
Also, depending how far from St. Jean you are, there is the slight risk that if you're car breaks down on the way in and you're late, then you're AWOL (I know of at least one instance where this happened).

Offline DirtyDog

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2006, 10:04:58 »
I'll think I'll get dropped off at first and scout out the situation and then grab my truck the next available leave (if possible).  I really don't need to deal with having a vehicle stolen in the middle of Basic though and my truck is a popular target for Montreal theives.

Offline JDMCRX

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2006, 13:12:59 »
Whos gonna steal a car off the base. The mps are constintly back there and cruising the base. And depending what side of the building u are at u can see the lot.
This Board is soo full of jung farts that need to get off there high horse. Another reason the cf is having issues.

Offline DirtyDog

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2006, 13:38:22 »
I just assumed that since it would be common knowledge that some vehicles would be sitting for weeks at a time unattended that they might be favourable targets.  Also the fact that high end late model trucks have a habit of dissappearing in Quebec (in my experiecne).

Were you there during the winter months?  Because the issue of snow removal still seems like a big one.

Offline ab136

• Rate Post
  • "Running to stand still."
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2006, 14:17:29 »
That pic just made me throw-up a little bit :blotto:
Proud to be an Engineer!!

Offline JDMCRX

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 14:25:59 »
I was there from sept to dec. My other buddies were there and they had no probs with snow removal they just did infront of the cars thats it.

This pic you will love.:P
This Board is soo full of jung farts that need to get off there high horse. Another reason the cf is having issues.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2006, 15:01:35 »
JDMCRX

Welcome to the Warning System.  You have been sent the following via PM at least two times.  You have failed to pay attention to them.  Perhaps it is time that you read these, and welcome to your Verbal Warning:

As you have failed to pay attention to your PM's, you can find out here how to read up on the Warning system.

Army.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,24937.0.html

MSN and ICQ "short hand"http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,33247.0.html

Regarding the use of "MSN speak" versus the employment of prose which is correct in grammar, spelling and punctuation, please see: http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,34015.msg260446.html#msg260446

FRIENDLY ADVICE TO NEW MEMBERS - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,24937.msg259412.html#msg259412

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

Army.ca wiki pages - http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

To summarize. Welcome to Army.ca, start reading. 
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 15:05:41 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline bcrawford

• FNG
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008, 22:59:55 »
I hate my car.  Don't get me wrong... I like having a car; they are useful.  I just hate my car.  (Hate is not the most accurate term to use here, but as I am new to the board, I choose not to push my luck by speaking my mind.)  Also, when* I attend BMOQ in May, I will be taking a significant pay cut for a while.

These two facts create an interesting opportunity:  Perhaps its an easy thing offset this by being rid of the car altogether during the months of AEC training ahead of me.  This will save cash and good measure of frustration.  Naturally, I will replace it with a younger, more attractive car afterwards.

So, my question is: Will I have less trouble adapting to life without a car during training than I would in civilian life?  I have become disgustingly dependent on the mobility in daily life, but I have no idea what expect in the forces.  I'd like to hear from anyone who has made the transition, even if only temporarily.

cheers,
bc

*this is still technically an 'if'.  (still waiting anxiously on an official offer)

Offline lacqui

• Rate Post
    • Lacqui's Writing
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008, 23:05:40 »
During BMQ, you're not going to use your car - if you're even allowed to bring it, you'll have to keep it in storage.

Afterwards, it depends on your trade and training program, but you'll probably be living in the shacks for a while, in easy marching distance to your classes; getting around during evenings and weekends depends on where you get posted.
Writing short stories, some of which refer to military situations.

Offline omgLiam

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2008, 23:13:45 »
You'll make enough money to get to and fro to the bars. Don't worry about it!

Offline benny88

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2008, 23:36:01 »
During BMQ, you're not going to use your car - if you're even allowed to bring it, you'll have to keep it in storage.

Not true. At least, not true for St. Jean. There is parking for your car, and while you will be confined to base for the first month or so, having a car to hit Montreal on weekends you get off will make you very popular with your platoon.
  Lacqui may be right about other bases or courses, but at St. Jean you're allowed a car.
The people trying to make this world worse, are not taking a day off.

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2008, 23:48:41 »
Actually I have been wondering this myself, as I have been pondering on making a CT to Medtech, and seeing as how a very large portion of the course is going to be in B.C., I was wondering if should sell my car before going on course.

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2008, 09:41:31 »
Perhaps its an easy thing offset this by being rid of the car altogether during the months of AEC training ahead of me. 

You'll be so busy on course, especially during the week, that you won't have too much time to go out anywhere.  There really isn't a need to anyway.  CFSACO in Cornwall has most amenities.  I've seen people never leave the place their whole time there!  And if you do have to go to the mall or anywhere, there is a bus stop right outside the main door.  It doesn't run on Sundays, but other then that, it's fairly reliable.  Besides, there is always someone on course that has a car and is willing to do a trip to town once in awhile for gas money.  Or you share on a cab for a night out.

My advice, sell the car (especially as you're not happy with it anyway).  Then wait until you finish training and get posted.  In the meantime, put aside the money that you would have been spending on a vehicle (payments, gas, insurance etc) into a separate account and you've got a nice fund to get started for new wheels when you get settled.
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2008, 18:17:41 »
Actually I have been wondering this myself, as I have been pondering on making a CT to Medtech, and seeing as how a very large portion of the course is going to be in B.C., I was wondering if should sell my car before going on course.

Your MedTech QL3 will be done at JIBC Chilliwack, and having a car will do you wonders in morale and happiness. Not that you'll have THAT much time to zoom zoom around, but it is handy none the less :)
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline Cardstonkid

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2008, 18:26:18 »
If your are in Gagetown, get a car. Trust me, you will be so much happier and you will never have so many "Friends"!!! :)
UBIQUE!

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2008, 18:30:01 »
Your MedTech QL3 will be done at JIBC Chilliwack, and having a car will do you wonders in morale and happiness. Not that you'll have THAT much time to zoom zoom around, but it is handy none the less :)

Well seeing as how I live in Ontario at the present moment, I am not sure about the CF shipping my F&E for the JIBC portion of the course ;)

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2008, 19:00:38 »
Well seeing as how I live in Ontario at the present moment, I am not sure about the CF shipping my F&E for the JIBC portion of the course ;)

Meh! Drive there mate :) see the rest of the country ;D Besides, seriously you won't regret it. Because if you do come out here, you better be willing to drive out the Vancouver for a M&G because we're not driving out to the wack.

هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2008, 20:06:58 »
Meh! Drive there mate :) see the rest of the country ;D Besides, seriously you won't regret it. Because if you do come out here, you better be willing to drive out the Vancouver for a M&G because we're not driving out to the wack.
  Well I am going to enjoy my class B time before I pull the trigger on making a CT.

:)

Offline OtsegoUndead

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2008, 00:43:55 »
I am switching over to reg force infantry from the reserves. I will probably have to go through BMQ again. Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to have your own vehicle when you go to BMQ?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 00:49:21 by OtsegoUndead »

aesop081

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2008, 00:47:33 »
Can anyone tell me if you are aloud to have your own vehicle when you go to BMQ?

I'm sorry, i could not hear your question.

WHAT ?

Offline OtsegoUndead

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2008, 00:50:03 »
My bad, I am infantry after all....  ;D

Offline kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2008, 00:52:36 »
"Having a car".

I will not even ask how or why, but I would hazard a guess based on the weight and complexity of a car the gestation period of a car would be longer than your course. So as the proud parent of a car, you will have already filled out a FCP and be ready to carry on your duties with the CF.  ;)
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2008, 01:11:28 »
I am switching over to reg force infantry from the reserves. I will probably have to go through BMQ again. Can anyone tell me if you are allowed to have your own vehicle when you go to BMQ?

If you go to BMQ at CFLRS St-Jean (the Mega) you can have your car there.  There is a specific area you will be required to park it.  I am not familiar with the reg's in Borden or other depots that run BMQs.  Para 2(b)(1) of the CFLRS Joining Instructions (effective Feb 2008) states:

(1) Personal Transport. This method entails the candidate using a personal motor vehicle (whether the vehicle belongs to him/her or someone else). A road map (annex A) can be found at the end of this document. Candidates who wish to park their vehicle in the St-Jean garrison for their course must have registration and insurance papers with them. You will have to park your vehicle in lot K. During the course, you will only be authorized to use your vehicle during designated weekends.

You will be required to provide proof of registration and insurance to the Commissionaire's at the Main Gate I believe, to get your parking pass, but that may have changed.  Page 4 of the .pdf document at the link below refers:

http://www.cflrs.forces.gc.ca/site/soyez_prets/qmb/joining_QMB_PEI_PEEO.pdf

Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.