Author Topic: Deployment duration  (Read 13046 times)

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
Deployment duration
« on: November 11, 2005, 17:03:39 »
It is understandable that many people interested in joining the CF are curious on how long they could be away for so as they may help prepare their loved ones for the inevitable separation. Folks there is no easy formula to say how long you will be away. Depending on the reasons of your deployment, your trade, and what is the situation you could be gone for awhile. So unless you have an actual end date for your deployment I would not sweat it. Even then you may be delayed, so until your back in your loved ones arms after a job well done, just relax and do your country, your unit and yourself proud by doing what your suppose to be doing.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

jmackenzie_15

Re: Deployment duration
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 14:09:38 »
And if you feel like complaining or saying something, think of the yankees in Iraq, and ask them how long their deployments are, and what fun stop loss is.

Offline Hollywog

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 12:40:09 »
Well the government makes too many comitments for the number of troops it has.

Was it Timor they had to cancel?

Troops who served in WWII spent less time overseas than some canadian troops will serving now.

Something wrong with that, were at peace.

Offline signalsguy

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 12:47:35 »

Troops who served in WWII spent less time overseas than some canadian troops will serving now.

Umm. IIRC, there were guys that left home in 1939 and didn't come back until 1946.... Thats a pretty long 'tour'. (correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Dorosh!)

jmackenzie_15

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 13:01:07 »

What the hell are you talking about ? yeah, guys that left in 39 didnt come back untill the war was over.

Some guys spent less time in ww2 than troops spend in afghanistan do today, because they were sent home. They were no longer alive and could not be used as soldiers to the army. Yeah, thats one way to end a tour.

Offline BSmith12

• <3 Years Overdue>
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 13:10:38 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're on a tour until:
A) You die
B) You are relieved by another soldier
C) The conflict ends
Time spent on duty cannot be measured, as all conflicts are different.
We can only hope that all goes well for our troops as well as those who we serve with (Britain & the U.S.)
"A love of tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril; but the new view must come, the world must roll forward."
- Sir Winston Churchill, speech in the House of Commons, November 29, 1944.

jmackenzie_15

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 21:10:15 »
We are?

Yeah! didnt you hear? All those terrorist attacks and threats, the tours overseas and the thousands and thousands dead are all just an elaborate scheme and illusion concocted by Ashton Kutcher! He's pulling his biggest Punk'd episode ever! Ashton punks the planet!

hollywog, how exactly would you define peace again ? I dont consider somebody jumping on the hood of an Iltis jeep on patrol in Kabul with two mortar rounds strapped to his chest, and blowing himself up, something that happens in a time of peace.

Again, this is a perfect example of the ignorance the public has on what our military is involved in, and why nobody really cares enough to do anything, budget cut after budget cut. I said in a previous thread, ironically, a terrorist attack in downtown toronto would be the best thing to happen to the forces in a while. The public would be out for blood, and be totally dumbfounded and wonder why it happened, and why our military is in such rough shape as it is.

aesop081

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 21:17:38 »

i'll give you that one

NO....Troops went to East Timor.   Guess you dont follow current events much...or know anything about the CF do you ?

Guess you are not into history either.   Put the nintendo down...you might learn something

We are ?   Could have fooled me   ::)

Offline J. Gayson

• Rate Post
  • . . .
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 10:35:12 »
Umm. IIRC, there were guys that left home in 1939 and didn't come back until 1946.... Thats a pretty long 'tour'. (correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Dorosh!)

You are correct.  My grandfather was overseas with the field ambulance from Thunder Bay from 1939 to the end of 1945.

Offline Cpl Bloggins

• Reservist
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 10:41:19 »
ironically, a terrorist attack in downtown toronto would be the best thing to happen to the forces in a while.

Be careful what you wish for, my friend...
VVV

Sharpey

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 12:17:02 »
From knowing people that have been on tour, typically tours seem to be 6 months actual deployment over seas (I've heard of 4 as well in one case). This of course is less leave time (if any) and does not include work up time. I do not know from personal experience, but I will find out soon enough.

jmackenzie_15

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 12:23:10 »
Be careful what you wish for, my friend...

It's hardly a wish of mine. I was just pointing out, if that were to happen, you would see a quick turnaround in regards to public opinion and government spending. Of course I could be wrong, but either way it would still suck.

Wishing for it not to happen would also be irrellevant... its just a matter of time and we all know it. Lovely world we live in sometimes.

Offline Cpl Bloggins

• Reservist
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 12:50:16 »
True enough. What a great time to live in downtown Toronto!
VVV

Offline Doug

• Rate Post
  • Paratrooper
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 13:15:40 »
Slightly off topic, but since reference was made to the "incident", I want to clarify something.  "Somebody" didn't jump on the hood of and Iltis jeep and blow himself up.  "Somebody" was +/- a meter off the front passenger side of the Iltis (the 2nd one) before he chose to blow himself up.  Only one mortar bomb detonated.  He did not jump on the front of the jeep, or the back of the jeep, which many believe.  Don't you think the injuries and the outcome could have been much worse if this were the case?
Every man dies, not every man truely lives...

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 13:21:20 »
Sorry to inject here Doug, but anyone who wishes to post that "they heard or read different", well don't,

....he knows. :salute:
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline 3rd Horseman

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 18:05:26 »
The Air force had a good idea when they were trying to limit tours to 90 days
- you get the gong,
- you can leave your job and the unit wont miss ya for 90
-  the family probably needs a 90 day break from ya.
- You could do more tours because 90 days is not that bad no need for retraining if we rotated ever 18 months on 90 day tours. Back in the 80s I can remember 40 to 70 day exercises. 6 months she knocks the stuffing out of your life ever 2 to 3 years. There is somthing to be said for the 90 day cycle.
Sanctuary is as hard to find and as difficult to walk on as a razors edge

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2005, 07:54:02 »
The Air force had a good idea when they were trying to limit tours to 90 days
- you get the gong,
- you can leave your job and the unit wont miss ya for 90
-   the family probably needs a 90 day break from ya.
- You could do more tours because 90 days is not that bad no need for retraining if we rotated ever 18 months on 90 day tours. Back in the 80s I can remember 40 to 70 day exercises. 6 months she knocks the stuffing out of your life ever 2 to 3 years. There is somthing to be said for the 90 day cycle.
If you are talking about the 56 day rotos brought about by the AF side during Op Apollo, one of the main reasons for this occurance was to enable the Aircrews/groundcrews to remain current in others aspects of their duties. So even while at home during their 56 days out of theatre, the guys usually weren't at work but were out getting all their other quals made current. You think their Units weren't missing them? I'd guess again here. I'd personally rather go for the full 6 and get it over with all at once, although as a Sup Tech, I've found my typical tour length to be 6.5 to 7 months long. 
Sailors, if their ship happens to pull a NATO are often at sea 7-9 months per year. This used to be the norm for them but has slackened off in recent years and usually only occurs should they become part of the NATO fleet these days. I guess any job or task in the military has the ability to knock the stuffing out of you without having the proper resources and equipment. That is key.

As for 'Doktor Hollywog' and all his beaucuop d'experience...I've got news for him. My husband once came home from a tour to a 1 month old he'd never met. My grandfather once came home from a war to find a 5 year old he'd never met. How does he explain this little mystery? And please remind me on Monday, to tell my Cpl that he must remove his East Timor medal from his inventory, as apparently the CF didn't go there!!
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2005, 08:15:46 »
They should have told me... I guess the 5 months I spent there with INTERFET don't count ??
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Offline Ralph

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2005, 08:07:29 »
A slight hijack, but as the subject is "deployment duration"...
My WO, who only rarely lies to me, swears tour lengths are all being lengthened to a full year. I'm sure there's at least a grain of truth to this - anybody know who it's going to affect?
Cheers.

Offline oldboy

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2005, 08:52:13 »
For the Army, tour lengths are not being extended to one year, though many options are being studied to try to relieve operational stress/deployment pressures and this is one option.  This, IMO, is what your WO probably heard about and rumour nets being as fast as they are, this flew.  Could tour lengths be extended or shortened? Of course as some of the people in Kabul found out.  Are tours longer than 6 months? Of course as many operations have found out, (and I believe almost all).  For example, the Bde HQ going in on TF 1-06 will be approximately a 9 month deployment.  If you are on, or going on a tour, then your chain of comd willl/should know your deployment and redeployment dates.
Sandbag

Offline Allan Luomala

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2005, 09:49:56 »
I think there are problems with "assuming" how long a deployment is going to be, and then having that hardwired into your brain. When my wife was on Op Apollo, I was the spouse who stayed behind and attended the rear party family briefings. I heard on more than a few occasions the wives saying things like "He HAS to be home in 6 months. When he went to Cyprus/Bosnia/Kosovo/etc, it was only 6 months" I rained on one of the wife's parade when I told her that they could be there as long as they need to be, because if the gov't decided on, say a 9 month deployment, they probably wouldn't have a second roto for just 3 months. Boy, was she thrilled with my dose of reality.

My tour to Bosnia in 00-01 was 7 months long, mainly because "they" wanted to gradually extend the tours so that they started/ended in Apr/Sept for money/planning issued, as the rumour went. Whatever the reason, we were there (on average) for 7 months.

The 6 month long tour is what everybody should get out of their head as the "norm": if you are gone for 2 months, 6 months, 9 months or 5 years, that's part of being in the military. I have a service wife and 3 kids, and I have resigned myself to the fact that it could happen. Odds are that the deployments will likely stay 6 months, but don't program yourself to think that's as long (or as short) as they will ever be.

Oh yeah Hollywog, if "we" aren't at war, put a fake suicide bomber vest on, walk up to one of the main gates of one of our camps overseas, and see how you make out. The soldiers there that aren't at war will shoot holes into your argument (literally).

Al

Offline wack-in-iraq

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2005, 13:28:24 »
Year long tours are a bad idea, the main operational reason is complacency. the troops i deal with on a regular basis over here admit to it, and i can see a big change in the group that got here around the time i did, especially the guys on gate duty. when they first arrived they were aleart, keen and observant, now 11 months later i can see a big difference, most notably at the gates where there is not a lot of action. of course if you are going through the airport road checkpoint thats a different story.... those guys are on their toes 24 - 7. personally i think 6 months its the ideal length, just enough time to be operationally effective, but not long enough to come overly complacent.

To the clown who hinted that an attack in toronto would be a good thing for the CF, you are an idiot, dont even joke about that stuff.
no, i wont get you a job, so stop asking

Offline HADES 1962

• Rate Post
  • I have a Cunning Plan
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2005, 15:24:27 »
From my little experience in the military all of my deployments to UN or NATO lead overseas have been 6 months; yes I also remember exercises in the 80's being in the 50-70 days ranges.
Hell even gun camps on my own base being 1 month.
The length of deployments will no doubt depend on the foreign policy of the current government.

Quote "a terrorist attack in downtown Toronto would be the best thing to happen to the forces in a while" end quote.
Is at this time a pretty dumb statement, if you ask me.

Quote "Wishing for it not to happen would also be irrelevant... its just a matter of time and we all know it" end quote.
Again a pretty interesting statement would the person who stated this like to enlighten the remainder of Canada with its just a matter of time? Do you have an inside scoop?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 15:30:29 by HADES 1962 »
Once a Gunner, always a Gunner

Offline kirkmell

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2005, 19:16:21 »
My wife is thinkis about joining the CF.  I was just wondering....
- How likely is it that she will get sent overseas?
- What is the earliest in her CF career that she CAN be sent overseas?
- How long on average is an overseas deployment?
- When she is overseas what kind of contact will she have with myself and our childeren?
- Can she be sent overseas right after basic training?

Thank you to whomever answers these questions!
I (we)look forward to reading the answers.  And getting the extra help in deciding if this is the best move for our family

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2005, 19:32:30 »
1.  It depends on her trade
2.  It depends on her trade
3.  About 6 months.  It can be more it can be less
4.  There are phones, email, personal mail
5.  Most likely not as she won't have a trade after basic.
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity