Author Topic: Christmas is coming, post gift ideas here.  (Read 26008 times)

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Christmas is coming, post gift ideas here.
« on: November 30, 2005, 17:43:12 »
SO.. I was brainstorming on what to buy the "little lady" and I haven't got a clue. I figure it's early enough that we can all put in some ideas and pull something off by the 25th.

Here we go:

- Nice set of Pyjamas/nightie.
- Gift certificate for clothing (like I would even dare try to buy something for her on my own!).
- Silicone baking sheets, molds, etc...

I am hoping you guys and girls can give me a GREAT idea that will really impress her, the ones I suggested are just the beginning.

As you can see.. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm not just disobedient, I'm careful
Re: Christmas is coming, post gift ideas here.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 17:49:15 »
Please oh Please someone buy me a gun so I can shoot myself...... BAH HUMBUG!
"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

When the going gets tough I take a nap...It's easier that way

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 17:49:31 »
CAUTION: Wives/girlfrienbds DO NOT actually want baking hardware, small appliances, power tools or clothing (that they didn't pick out and tell you to buy for them). 

Try jewelry.
A basket with a good wine, chocolate, candles and something nice from the Body Shop. Check her current stock to see what flavours/aromas she prefers (note clothing remark above).
Spa gift certificates.
Flowers (on top of everything else, a few days before, or after, to help relieve the holiday stress (unless the added cost increases that stress).

Ignore any and all suggestions that you should only buy "practical" gifts.  It is a trap.

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 17:50:25 »
I love giving CD's, just cause they arent hard to find if you know which specific one would be fitting. How to tell which CD to get? Simply ride in the car with her, and play the radio on low. When she turns it up, make note of that song...

;)
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

Offline karl28

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 17:55:48 »
All I want is a Hummer lol probably wont get it but a guy can dream . ;D

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 17:58:07 »
Haha, I have learned my lesson with the whole "appliance" thing. DO NOT EVER GO THERE.   

I have the bad luck that her birthday is at the start of Jan, so I have a double-whammy to plan for gifts.   I bought a spa gift certificate last year and it turned out it was for two (bonus!!). I believe she enjoyed that.

Cd's are a good idea (noted).

We are a scent free home, some body shop is a little over the top for us a but a good suggestion nonetheless.

Keep firing!!
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline camochick

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 18:00:49 »
Do not buy her baking stuff. Although she may say she wants it, she doesnt really. I suggest you get her to make you a list of things she wants, marking the ones she really wants, and then chose from that. Thats what I do and that way there are no nasty surprises like a tool box or something (although the bf keeps saying I am getting a tackle box and a fish finder for xmas, how convenient since he is buying a boat next year)
Stay away from lingerie and clothes. You will either buy it too small or too big and you will be sleeping on the couch either way.
Jewelry is always a safe bet, but perhaps ask her what kind of things she likes (this will help prevent you from buying her earrings when she doesnt have pierced ears).
For the most part women just want you to show that you put some kind of effort into the gifts. Anyone can buy us socks for xmas, we want something that says I'm thinking of you.   >:D
I am bushy bushkisser!!!
It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees!!

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 18:07:52 »
That's great.. IF she'd only TELL ME WHAT SHE WANTS!!!!

Me - "Honey, what do you want for Christmas?"

Her - "I don't know, you don't have to buy me anything"

Cause that helps a ton!!
Adsum

Offline bumsy

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 18:25:39 »
This would be great....its thoughtful and sweet....being a girl i know this is what i would want

http://www.sparklesforever.com/detail.aspx?ID=1313

oo and an ipod....black 60gig  ;D

Offline c1984ml

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 18:29:55 »
Does she have any hobbies?  What about a new book?  As for appliances, if it was a kitchen aid mixer (in red!) it wouldn't really count as an appliance! ;D

Good luck!

Offline Code5

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 18:51:09 »
yeah I'm having similar problems, which have only been compounded by the fact that i think she's looking at getting me leaf tickets for Christmas (I saw that she was checking out many games on ticketmaster and that she had visited some of the online scalpers... in case you're wondering i was looking in her history on IE because I needed to find a website that i had accessed at her place...)... plus we're at the 3 month point.  I think the hardest time buying gifts is in the first few months of a relationship.. but i digress

So I was thinking of doing an abbreviated 12 days of christmas
day one - short bread (she loves short bread)
day two - some stuff from the body shop
day three - wine
and yeah I have no idea where to go from there... its official I'm horrible at buying gifts.

Offline ReadyAyeReady

• Rate Post
  • Armchair 2nd Lt.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 19:45:10 »
Coal in the stocking always seems to work well. ;D

Take her for a big night out in the city.  Dinner, a show (musical, opera etc.) and then stay at a nice hotel.  That's worked for me in the past.

This sounds real bad but there's a jewelry maker called Tiffany & Co.  Everyone knows it I'm sure.  Well most of their crap is ridiculously expensive but you can get silver stuff from there for pretty decent prices.  Girls love that crap...expecially when its from Tiffany and Co.  You can get a silver necklace with a heart symbol for less then 250 bucks.  There's three ex-girlfriends of mine walking around Toronto and Vancouver with those babies on...unless they flushed them down the toilets :P
"He who dies with the most toys, still dies." (No Fear T-Shirt)

"University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small." (Henry Kissinger)

Offline brin11

• Rate Post
  • Gun Plumber
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 20:28:05 »
I'm looking for a mitre saw in my stocking this year.  Does that help??  ;D
The enemy's gate is down.

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 20:37:47 »
During my unfortunate incarceration, known as "marriage" in some circles, I had the same problem.  I devised a cunning plan: 
   Me-  What do you want for non religious day of extravagant gift giving this year?
   Her- Oh, nothing...
   Me-  Good, I have all kinds of that in my bank account.

Designated Day of Gifting rolls around, nothing under the Stat Holiday Tree for her....

I never got "nothing" for an answer again.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 20:57:12 »
And you survived?!?!?!
Adsum

Offline CloudCover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2005, 21:00:46 »
Dear Santa: I would like my very own sniper to take care of some patent trolls down in the US for me.
... Move!! ...

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 21:01:39 »
I got the cold shoulder for a few weeks, but "say what you mean, mean what you say" is something I was raised with.  She learned it too, and so have all my kids.  The Holiday Headgame and Moral Blackmail program never reared it's ugly head again..... >:D
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline meg

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 23:48:39 »
Is there something you could make for her?  Not necessarily a Marths-Stewart type craft, but something that you made just for her.  Mix c.d., wood carving, arrangement of dried flowers, whatever you do for a hobby, etc.  There are lots of books that give instructions on how to make really easy (for the crafty challenged) but really nice, personalized gifts.  It's original, it's something she'd never be able to buy for herself, she'll appreciate the effort you put into actually making it yourself instead of just buying something, and you'll feel all warm and fuzzy when she likes it.

Another idea I've heard around (but don't know that I would like myself) is to buy a really nice picture frame and put a photo of the two of you together in it.  It's supposed to be romantic and personal...you'd have to judge based on her character.

Good luck.
Mozart wore lace underwear, and his music sounds like it.

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 00:12:03 »
During my unfortunate incarceration, known as "marriage" in some circles, I had the same problem.

You asked if he survived, and judging from that line.... Im thinking, not entirely  :D
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

Offline COBRA-6

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2005, 00:32:19 »
I'm looking for a mitre saw in my stocking this year.   Does that help??   ;D

Now you're talking my language! Maybe a sliding compound mitre saw?? 10" blade... If more women wanted power tools our lives would be so much easier!  ;D
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline Moose

• Rate Post
    • my msn webspace
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2005, 00:54:36 »
Honestly, take a look into the medicine cabinet or wherever she keeps her beauty products. Take note of specific perfumes and stuff she regularly uses and buy that. You can't go wrong. Or if she constantly wears a certain perfume, buy her the hand cream or something from that scent. Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 02:12:49 by Moose »

Offline Rose79

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 06:42:18 »
Well when I ask for baking stuff I mean it!  :D  I probably can't give you any good ideas, because apparently she'll only want typical girl gifts, and I never ask for 'girly' stuff.  For example, this year my list has: weights/exercise equipment, stuff for my horse, winter boots, DVDs, etc. - Oh, and another dog!  ;D
I don't like jewellery much, flowers aren't my thing, and I think I'd be tempted to give away a day at the spa, lol.
One thing I'll agree with everyone else on... if you want to buy clothes gift certificates are safest!

Good luck!
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Offline x-zipperhead

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 09:32:31 »
Does she have any hobbies?   What about a new book?   As for appliances, if it was a kitchen aid mixer (in red!) it wouldn't really count as an appliance! ;D

Good luck!

Funny, I got my wife a kitchen aid mixer last year using exactly this logic.  I mean this was the Binford 2000 of kitchen mixers.  Trust me it is still considered a kitchen appliance.  Be very careful in this area.  It didn't go over well for me. ;D

Offline Springroll

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 09:37:30 »
I told hubby to buy me some Mary Kay stuff, slippers and flannel pj's...girlie girls like spa stuff(especially stuff with a guarantee like MK)

"Take every day with a grain of salt. This works much better if the salt accompanies a Margarita"

Offline dearryan

• "Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once".Shakespeare
  • Rate Post
  • "131" 1 day
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 10:51:18 »
ya, back to the appliance thing........

You guys say even if they request it (baking stuff, kitchen appliances etc.) its not a good idea? I was thinking about getting the girlfriend a espresso machine. Not a professional one or anything. The Starbucks bill is looks like a car payment! Yay/Nay???

R