Author Topic: Decreasing the Signal to Noise Ratio  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
Decreasing the Signal to Noise Ratio
« on: February 25, 2004, 21:42:00 »
We seem to spend an inordinate amount of time and posts sorting out the Regular vs Reserve question and answer loops. When questioners aren‘t specific regarding their Component some answers may not fit (or actually confuse) the intended question because of the two different viewpoints.

Perhaps the "Add New Topic" form could be amended to include a checkbox where the original poster can specify that they are inquiring about Regular or Reserve Force issues and concerns. It would also need a matching display on the post when it appears. It is likely that this is most applicable to the Recruiting and some of the Corps/Branch areas.

This won‘t avoid the tangents that occur when someone hasn‘t read the whole thread, but it might help.

Mike

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: Decreasing the Signal to Noise Ratio
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 12:55:00 »
Hi Mike,

Not a bad idea, and technically possible. Unfortunately, these forums are part of the beta program from the vendor, and one of the requirements is that no code changes can be made.

I also recognize that asking people to identify is probably not going to work, but maybe if people include their component in their profile, it will help provide some context to their discussion...

Thanks

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2004, 11:09:00 »
Thanks for considering the possibilities.

Mike

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2004, 12:00:00 »
Goes to show how far the Total Force concept went...   :rolleyes:
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2004, 12:37:00 »
Nothing wrong with the concepts of total force, but there are still great differences in the Recruiting and training concerns of new members between the two components. And many of our participants will ask or answer from their own experince or interest without weighing the fact that the question may have two very different anwsers and only one is being sought.