Author Topic: All Things Paul Franklin (merged)  (Read 56106 times)

Offline old medic

• Medical Forum Moderator
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: MCpl Paul Franklin: 1 Field Ambulance.
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2006, 18:53:37 »
Maimed but alive, 3 soldiers coming home

All three Canadian soldiers injured in a suicide attack in Afghanistan nine days ago are on their way home.
They boarded a plane in Germany on Tuesday morning for the flight back to Edmonton, their home base.
They are scheduled to land at about 4:15 p.m. local time.....

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/01/24/soldiers-return060124.html

Click link for full story.

... Medical officials were expected to offer an update on the condition of Corporal Jeffrey Bailey, Private William Edward Salikin and Master Corporal Paul Franklin following their arrival. ...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060123/canadian_soldier_060124/20060124?hub=TopStories
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 19:11:07 by old medic »
re-answering vision questions since 2004.

Offline old medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2006, 22:29:13 »
Wounded Canadian soldiers back home

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/01/24/cdnsoldiers060124.html

The three Canadian soldiers injured in Afghanistan earlier this month are now back home and being treated at Edmonton's University of Alberta Hospital.
The soldiers and their families received a low-key welcome when they arrived at the Edmonton International Airport. They were met by Gen. Rick Hillier, the chief of defence staff, and Lieut.-Gen Marc Carron, the commander of the army.
A specialized Canadian medical team also made the nine-hour flight from Germany.

Offline big bad john (John Hill)

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2006, 04:42:36 »
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1138143048339&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home

Injured soldiers back in Canada
Jan. 25, 2006. 01:00 AM
BILL TAYLOR
FEATURE WRITER

EDMONTON—The routine is established now as Canada prepares to go to war. This is how we bring home our wounded heroes.

With care, tenderness, dignity and respect.

After a nine-hour flight from Landstuhl, Germany, no one was about to rush.

Pte. William Salikin, of Grand Forks, B.C., was brought off first; then Cpl. Jeffrey Bailey, of Halifax, then Master Cpl. Paul Franklin, of Edmonton. The men, part of a NATO peacekeeping force, were cruelly injured by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan on Jan. 15. The attack took the life of senior Canadian diplomat Glyn Berry.

The wounded men arrived home yesterday as the first troops for Canada's upcoming combat mission in Afghanistan are leaving for the war zone around Kandahar.

The casualties were airlifted first to Germany, where they were met by a team of military doctors flown in from Canada. The doctors waited until the last minute to decide if Bailey was fit to travel. He has massive head injuries. He and Salikin, who also has head injuries, were placed in medically induced comas for the trip home.

Franklin lost his left leg below the knee. Doctors are still fighting to save his right leg. But he was alert and wise-cracking yesterday as he came back to Canadian soil.

Gen. Rick Hillier, chief of the defence staff, flew into Edmonton International airport from Ottawa in a sexy midnight blue Challenger jet to meet the sombre-hued Airbus that brought the wounded men from Germany. It touched down in the brass-bright glow of the dying sun and taxied, engines moaning softly, to a hangar away from the main airport. A specially constructed ramp was waiting to get the men off the plane and into three ambulances.

They were taken with their loved ones, including Franklin's 6-year-old son Simon, to the University of Alberta hospital.

Their platoon commander, Capt. Manuel Panchana-Moya, wheelchair-bound with leg injuries after being blown up in Kandahar last December, was also there to meet the men.

A Mountie in dress uniform provided a splash of colour amid the drab military fatigues.

As Salikin, Bailey and Franklin were painstakingly disembarked, a small executive jet scuttled by, whistling like a disrespectful boy.

Even wounded soldiers aren't exempt from Canada Customs, but the formalities were brief.

While he was on the Airbus, Hillier presented the families of the three men with Afghanistan Campaign Stars and the Southwest Asian Service Medal.

He also pinned the service medal onto Panchana-Moya.

Salikin's partner, Desirae Hasen, flew back from Germany with him yesterday. She told Canadian Press earlier that they had often talked about his chances of being hurt.

"That's part of the duty of someone in the military," she said. "It's a constant danger. He made it very clear that he might come home, he might not."

The first 140 troops left for Kandahar last Sunday with more due to leave Edmonton today for a mission lasting up to nine months. About 1,250 Canadian troops will be part of a multinational force, about 6,000 strong, to be commanded by Canadian Brig.-Gen. David Fraser. The force, including about 4,000 British and U.S. troops, will aggressively pursue Al Qaeda, the Taliban and drug warlords in the weathered terrain of southern Afghanistan.

"We are going into a very dangerous area," Fraser told the Star last November. "We're well-trained, well-equipped and ready to deal with the threat."

And also, now, to bring home the inevitable casualties of war.

Asked if yesterday's routine would become standard, Hillier replied forcefully:

"If you mean world-class medical care, absolute support for the families and all of the dignity, care and respect they reserve, absolutely. Is that clear enough? I don't want there to be any doubt."

Offline spud

• Rate Post
  • Hammer or Nail...I choose to be hammer
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2006, 08:48:36 »
Welcome home everyone! To say the entire country is watching and praying for you all, including the families, would be an understatement.    :salute:

potato

Offline old medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2006, 01:34:58 »
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060126/soldiers_wounded_060126/20060126?hub=Canada

Master Cpl. Paul Franklin of Halifax, who lost his left leg in the explosion, is facing more hardships. He will have to decide with doctors in the next few days whether to have his remaining right leg amputated, or face reconstructive surgery.

Offline Martorius

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2006, 19:46:20 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Franklin

I have created a Wikipedia article on Paul, as I had just finished watching this terrible news and I had nothing better to do.  Since I don't know him personally or anything, please feel free to add/edit to make it the best possible.

I realise now that quite a bit of the information has changed since I wrote it, and I can't seem to find the Victoria Cross article anymore, but any information is great.  You can PM it to me, or just add it yourself!

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2006, 19:50:27 »
I think perhaps you should have waited until the actual official version of the incident came out. A point to edit in your article, his place of birth is Halifax NS not Edmonton.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 20:25:48 by armyvern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2006, 22:02:04 »
That Wikipedia article is BS.
You took one editorial and made an entry with it.

What is this:
"B Company, 4th Platoon, 3rd Battalion 1 Field Ambulance"
that is an utter fabrication. There are is no B company and definately no battalions of 1 Fd Amb.

Don't destroy what could be great by pushing out half truths to those who don't know different.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 22:38:50 by Armymedic »
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2006, 22:23:42 »
I sent the poster of the Wikpedia a very long PM detailing the glaring inaccuracies in their article. Something this glariningly inaccurate does more harm than good, especially before the "facts" are even known.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2006, 22:37:42 »
OK

Too much speculation going on here.  The matter is under investigation, and we can rest assured that when the matter is resolved, the appropriate Awards will be given to the deserving people.

Not to turn this into a 'media circus' full of gossip and half truths, we will restrict this topic to solely the facts and the concerns of friends and colleagues of MCpl Franklin.

George
Staff
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 09:27:20 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2006, 07:23:30 »
A brief update on MCPL Franklin's & CPL Bailey's conditions (did the search, and saw this wasn't up yet)

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060216/bailey_amputation_060216/20060216?hub=Canada

"A soldier seriously injured in a suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan last month is now expected to survive.  Cpl. Jeffrey Bailey remains in critical condition and in a reduced state of consciousness, but has been moved out of intensive care, the military said in a medical update Thursday ...  Meanwhile, fellow soldier Master Cpl. Paul Franklin of Halifax, who had already lost his left leg at the knee, has had to have his lower right leg amputated as well."

For a bit more:
http://milnewstbay.pbwiki.com/Fatal%20IED
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline simysmom99

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2006, 21:39:20 »
Time for a good update.
Paul has gone to the Glenrose to start his rehabilitation today!
If anyone wants his contact info, please pm me.

Jeff seems to be coming along well, and if a few things happen, he should be joining us at the Glenrose within a couple of weeks.

One step closer to home... ;D

Audra

Offline Marti

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2006, 20:37:46 »
Got this e-mailed to me, didn't look like anyone had posted it yet. It's his first press conference, he gives a detailed account of what happened and how he was treated.

http://sympaticomsn.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060319/franklin_speaks_060323#

Offline old medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2006, 22:37:51 »
Similar coverage carried by cbc:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/03/23/franklin-injuries-060323.html

"The military has said that they will keep me on. There's lots of jobs for me, from desk jobs to training, and what I really enjoy is teaching," Master Cpl. Paul Franklin told reporters in Edmonton on Thursday.

Offline RogueMedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2006, 13:03:14 »
Hey Audra.

I served with Franklin in 1 Fd Amb until I released in 2003.  I thought I was going to be sick when I was watching the news the night it was all reported.  You never think it's going to happen to someone you know.  The funny thing about the forces is that once you're in you can never leave.  I may not be there in body... but my soul still remains.

He's a good man and the forces are lucky to have you guys in their ranks.

Best wishes to you and Franklin.  I am confident that future medics are going to enriched by his knowledge and experience much like I was.

Tell Franklin to drop me an email sometime.  It would be awsome to catch up!

Pte Ryan Ruch (aka. Red Light Ruch)

Offline Kirsten Luomala

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2006, 16:21:35 »
http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/inputSiteName.do?method=search&siteName=oursoldiers

Just an update on Paul.  The above link is provided by his sister and shows Paul up on his prosthetics walking, with help but he is up and about.  Best of luck Paul.

Offline Gunner

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Artillery Forum Moderator
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2006, 23:05:23 »
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sundayreader/story.html?id=d9da6bdc-509b-4c3d-9dbb-ad2e61b8f8e9

Very good write on MCpl Paul Franklin's rehabilitation in today's Edmonton Journal Sunday Reader. 

Keep it up Paul!   :salute:
Had a wonderful ~26 years in the military and still miss it.

Offline big bad john (John Hill)

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2006, 22:23:19 »
http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=6602e91d-dd33-4bd8-9fa0-fafc921e3d2b

Soldier's fighting spirit

Calgary Herald

Sunday, May 28, 2006

It is only two blocks from Paul Franklin's home in north Edmonton to his son's school.

But the distance marks the end of a much longer journey that began when the soldier lost his legs in a Jan. 15 suicide bombing in Afghanistan.

Back home in Alberta, Franklin vowed he'd do whatever it took to get out of his wheelchair, even though the doctors told him it was unlikely he'd ever walk again.

Now, Franklin is proving them wrong as he gets used to his prosthetic limbs -- with a lot of encouragement from his six-year-old son, Simon.

Offline muffin

going through the motions.

• LMS Admin at ALSC - CTC Gagetown
  • Rate Post
  • ~~~ Gee, I wish I was back in the army.......
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2006, 07:40:13 »
He never ceases to amaze me - what an incredible spirit.
"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."
Soviet infantry manual

Offline simysmom99

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2006, 12:12:26 »
I thank all of you for your continued support and kind words for Paul and our family.  He will only move forward from this point.  I pray one day he will walk unencumbered, and maybe even ride a skateboard again.
Audra

Offline old medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2006, 12:00:30 »
For those Interested, Simon Martin has an article about Paul in the August-September Issue
of Canadian Emergency News (Volume 29, Number 4). It is located on Pages 6 - 8.

Offline simysmom99

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2006, 11:50:40 »
I would love to read that article, but I can only find April May on line.  Any idea where to get a hard copy?
Thanks.
Audra

Offline ParaMedTech

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2006, 14:36:23 »
I just got the new issue, and it's fairy well done...the author promises to bring us (CF Medics) more fame and glory in future issues, but he thought the MCpl Franklin subject deserved it's own article.

I think it comes online about 3 weeks after the print edition comes out...but I may be wrong.  Hard copies are fairly rare at MSM outlets, I've only seen it at work; each of our stations has a subscription.

DF
Carter, hand me my thinking grenades.

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2006, 07:03:15 »
I had the honour of meeting the MCpl in person at the Abbotsford Air Show 06. He's doing well, and offers inspirational speeches. I received one of his business cards, and fwd it to ParaMedTech, who was my boss at the event. I have the deepest respect for MCpl Paul Franklin, both the way he conducted himself during the incident, and his conviction in life. All the best to him and his family.
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline military granny

it\'s May 12 and it\'s snowing what the ?

• Rate Post
Master Corporal Paul Franklin
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2006, 10:36:17 »
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2006/10/09/1984963-sun.html

Good read in the Edmonton Sun about Paul and what hes doing now.

Ten months after losing his legs in Afghanistan, Master Cpl. Paul Franklin is back on the job and taking direct aim at reducing the Canadian military's escalating death toll.

The 39-year-old field medic is drawing on his experience of being "blown up" by a suicide bomber to teach soldiers how to stay alive if wounded in combat.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally
worn out, shouting..Holy crap!! What a Ride!!"