Author Topic: Avionics Systems Technician ( AVS )  (Read 103718 times)

aesop081

Re: Next Avs tech course?
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2008, 10:33:26 »
  These hangars have some aircraft that are still in running condition (and are used for teaching marshalling) and a metal cap badge could pose a danger if lost somewhere within them.

Alon with all the pens and the million other things everyone carries on them in the course of a day.

"no metal cap badges because that is FOD"........ ::)

Might as well start wearing cloth nametags on our DEUs or sew medals directly to the tunic while we are at it.

But yeah.....what do i know.

Offline RandomAVS

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2008, 14:14:18 »
Inquiring minds want to know if the cap badge issuing is done by trade/ regiment or does the air force just get theirs early?

Offline avs2010

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2010, 06:34:40 »
Hello all,

I'm wondering if someone could post the POs and the subjest of each for the AVS course at CFSATE

Any help is much appreciated

Thank you

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2010, 07:11:42 »
Wow, look what I found when I Googled "CFSATE AVS Tech POs":

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/itp-pfi/page-eng.asp?id=942

But I'm at work so I don't know if the link is available outside of the DWAN.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2010, 07:07:13 »
From the profile of avs2010:

Last Active: March 12, 2010, 07:18:08

Why the hell do people come on here, ask a question and then never come back?   ???

The least they could do is say thanks.   >:(
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline jack0527

• Rate Post
AVS Tech interview
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 17:17:13 »
I have a interview coming up soon for AVS tech through subsidized education in Toronto recruiting center, and was told to study a bit about the trade before the interview. I am unsure as to what exactly to look up, so I started studying basic circuitry, stuff like resistors, compactors, and inductors, also I took a brief overview at what is avionics, such as comm, nav, data management, sensors etc etc (nothing in-depth). I am wondering if I am going towards the right direction? and can someone shed some light on as to what could help me perform better in the interview; knowledge I should know, types questions that I should be prepared to answer, competitions I am up against, and based on a brief description below about myself how are my odds?

thank you all in advance, your helps and advices are greatly appreciated.

biography:
-high school dropout (I was a delinquent teen)
-obtained GED
-applied to military years later
-while in application process I have accomplished the following to boost my odds:
*paid off all debts, to improve my credit rating (roughly $10,000) (few outstanding rogers accounts, car accident, fines etc etc)
*obtained 5 grade 12 credits so far 3 of them are math in the 4U level all with scores above 95% and working on finishing my 6th grade 12 credit. (all these are achieved while working full time job)
*started my pardon process (criminal record)
*Centennial college made me offers in both AVS and AVN programs
*I was told that my CFAT scores are good enough to take any NCM jobs
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 17:20:43 by jack0527 »

aesop081

Re: AVS Tech interview
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2012, 17:22:59 »
how are my odds?

We will be able to give you our best GUESS as soon as ALL other AVS applicants have posted their stories here.

Do you see what i am getting at ?

For your interview, you should be very familiar with the AVS page of the recruiting website and everything it talks about. Your interviewer is not going to ask you about circuitry and soldering technique.

If you still have a criminal record, you could end up having to wait until you have received a pardon.

Offline jack0527

• Rate Post
Re: AVS Tech interview
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2012, 17:29:34 »
We will be able to give you our best GUESS as soon as ALL other AVS applicants have posted their stories here.

Do you see what i am getting at ?

For your interview, you should be very familiar with the AVS page of the recruiting website and everything it talks about. Your interviewer is not going to ask you about circuitry and soldering technique.

If you still have a criminal record, you could end up having to wait until you have received a pardon.

Haha I know I cant seem to find other AVS applicants post here, so I thought I just ask and hoping that someone with experience in the field would come shed some light. I however did not know that I might have to wait until I have received a pardon, since I have already got this far in the application (back checks, medial, CFAT), I do not have a weapons ban, and it a charge when I was 18 which makes it 9 years ago, so this criminal record might still haunt me eh?

Offline Daywalker

• Rate Post
AVS Tech from ACISS CST. I'd like to know the good, bad and ugly!
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2013, 18:28:18 »
I am seriously considering OT'ing to AVS from ACISS CST, assuming it is still in demand.

I have read all the forums and got as much info as I can on here. What I would like to know is... what are the things that people don't like about the trade as well as what they do like about it. Don't sugar-coat it... give it to me straight up please.

My background: I have a 2 year Electronics Technician Diploma. I worked as an electronics tech for 15 years civvie side before joining the military. I repaired all kinds of radios, electronic and mechanical instrument clusters, body controller modules, test equipment, and other automotive and consumer electronics (tv,etc) down to high-level circuit board repairs. I have done more soldering than you can imagine, mostly with surface-mount components and even ball-grid array ICs. I would say I have at least 50,000+ repairs under my belt as we worked our asses off all day everyday. I am also very good with computers. I can build any PC and troubleshoot all sorts of hardware or software problems. I'm also a major audio and video guru. I'm kind of a super-nerd...  :)

After losing my job I joined the military. I wanted ATIS but it wasn't available. I didn't want to go Navy tech so my choices were LCIS or AVS. I chose LCIS as it was a perfect fit for me because of my background and my love for computers and IS. I got a POET bypass and started at a higher pay level, and got my hook, day one.

Well, after doing very well at basic (top student, best shot), I eventually found out....hey you are no longer LCIS you are ACISS now...oh and you will wait forever to start DP1.0 instead of going right to your LCIS QL3's, and spec pay... haha sucks to be you! You are also going to be a signal operator...and all the IS stuff you were hoping to be able to do... say bye bye to it! Its going to IST mostly...

Long story short, I'm now a fully qualified LCIS tech...oh sorry ACISS CST now. I'm not completely happy with ACISS as it is not what I have signed up for. I'm not saying it's all bad, there are parts of it I like... but it's a bit of a mess. I have worked on radio and comms equipment for 15 years... and with the changes of ACISS, maybe its time for me to change to something else.

Reality is... I want to go Airforce (like I originally wanted), and I want to work as a TECH on electronics equipment in aircraft. My background makes me a perfect fit for it.

I'm still a Private with 3.5 years in (after multiple recommendations for promotion to Corporal...2 years with no pay raise, and no sign of spec-pay returning). I'm up for contract renewal in 1 year.

I have made an appointment with the BPSO. Hope it will actually happen. What do you guys think and recommend?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 18:54:18 by Daywalker »

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: AVS Tech from ACISS CST. I'd like to know the good, bad and ugly!
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2013, 20:41:35 »
You'd really do well as an ATIS Tech.  You'd probably do well also as an AVS Tech, but you'll likely not see much/any of the IT side of the house in that trade.  That's not to say you won't have an opportunity, but the number of positions in IT-related fields doesn't compare between the two.

I know guys who have remustered from the Army into both trades, and have remustered from the Navy into both trades.  They've all been happy with their choices.

I'm partial to ATIS Tech, the scope of responsibilities seems (in my perhaps biased opinion) much wider and offers a much wider range of employment.

Offline Daywalker

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2013, 21:52:53 »
It's been a while since we chatted Occam...

I agree with you, and believe me, if I could get ATIS then I would take it! It doesn't seem to be open... however I will certainly ask the BPSO if that's a possibility since it would be MUCH easier to fit into that trade. Unfortunately, the longer former LCIS now ACISS CST goes without spec-pay, the more people you will see trying to get into ATIS.

I've resolved to the fact that if I can't get an IS related tech position in Airforce, then AVS would be my choice.

I've been lucky enough to be somewhere where I was able to be a tech and learn the newly upgraded comm suites in armored vehicles better than most people at other units. However I think now is the time for me to start asking about other options.

I'm sure there are former LCIS now AVS that can share their experience....

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2013, 22:49:01 »
Ah, now I've clued in. 

Good luck.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2013, 22:56:09 »
Have you ruled out rubberheads?  They do a lot of IT, in their own secret-squirrelly world - and they get spec pay after QL5.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2013, 12:44:27 »
Have you ruled out rubberheads?  They do a lot of IT, in their own secret-squirrelly world - and they get spec pay after QL5.

Not the IT he has experience in. I doubt he'd ever touch the inside of a PC again if he was CommRsch.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2013, 13:22:33 »
Not the IT he has experience in. I doubt he'd ever touch the inside of a PC again if he was CommRsch.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing.   ;)

Half the people working at TSAANS (or whatever they're calling themselves this week) in Ottawa are current or retired 291ers.

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2013, 15:44:16 »
I'm a retired AVS tech. There is no strong negatives about this trade, in fact it is very similar to ATIS except I think ATIS is more hands on than AVS. Most of us work on the aircraft and a minority work in "Labs." When I taught POET I would often recommend AVS or ATIS, it depends on own preference. I like aircraft and the systems found on fighter aircraft so for me it was the right place to be.

Offline Daywalker

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2013, 21:59:21 »
Thank you for the info guys... much appreciated.

Just curious why there seems to always be more people needed for this trade. Is it the job itself, or is the training too tough?

I have my appointment booked for a few weeks from now. Any recommendations for the interview? Never talked to a PSO before...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 22:17:22 by Daywalker »

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2013, 18:52:01 »
Can't see it being the job, perhaps the training/job description scares some off. :)

Offline SilentRanks

• Rate Post
Avionics Systems Technician ( AVS )
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2013, 09:33:18 »
Hi everyone I have been searching the forums for info and am not finding answers to everything so if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Avs Tech
-Whats the day to day job like
-What training is involved?
-If your married are you posted during training or is it some form of a prohibited posting?
-What are some of the postings?
-Highlights of the job?
-Where are the courses and what are their lengths?
-When does someone Private  3 move to Corporal
-Is this shift work?
-Are there over seas postings?
-Is there Ship time?

Thanks again everyone

Offline Quirky

• Rate Post
Re: AVS TECH
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 11:13:13 »
There is a recruiting website that answers 90% of your questions.

-You can be posted from anywhere between BC to NS.
-Courses depend on aircraft type after 3's.
-You become Cpl after QL5 qualified and 4 years.
-Yes there is shift work, yes there are ship postings.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2013, 16:49:23 »
Hi everyone I have been searching the forums for info and am not finding answers to everything so if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Avs Tech

BMQ, POET, Common Core, and your basis trade training to start, followed by your type specific stuff once you are posted.

-If your married are you posted during training or is it some form of a prohibited posting?

I have a few friends who were OT's to AVN tech who had their family move to the school (CFSATE) in Borden On while they did their trg.  Call it a 'case by case' thing unless someone comes along to verify the current School policy.

Go to the RCAF website and look at the location of the 13 Wings from BC to Nfld.  That's a good guess for a first posting.

All initial trg is in Borden except POET (Kingston ON).  Not sure on lengths.  Ballpark POET for 6 months though.  Everyone starts with BMQ in St Jean Qc. 

Normally Cpl is 48 months of service.  If you have your QL5 done, once you get Cpls you start getting Spec pay.

-Is this shift work?
-Is there Ship time?

There could be shift work at various places.  Sailing would be expected if you got posted to Shearwater NS or Pat's Bay BC and were fixin' stuff for the Maritime Helicopter (MH) folks.

Some info above for you in yellow text.  I'm not a AVS or AVN, etc type but some rough info until a 500 series comes along that knows the score.
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2013, 18:23:16 »

I am a retired AVS tech, from the 104 and Voodoo world and some other stuff to old to be relative to your questions.
Check out my profile and you will see a variety of postings and aircraft.
I loved my work, I love flying and aircraft, I like learning and fixing things. Good traits for this trade.
-

Whats the day to day job like.
Labs -where you work on black system boxes, maintenance -big checks on the aircraft, snags- work repairing equipment faults and Servicing helping start, park and turnaround the aircraft.

-Highlights of the job?
-Is this shift work?
-Are there over seas postings?
-Is there Ship time?

Most of your questions have already been answered, the Forces recruiting site has some good general info.

Thanks again everyone

Edited many times in an attempt to enlarge font.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 18:38:25 by Baden Guy »

Offline SilentRanks

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2013, 21:38:50 »
Thank you so much everyone my husband is doing a COR to AVS so this information really helps and "Baden Guy" we are going to check out your profile thanks so much

Offline JohnBent

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2013, 12:29:49 »
  http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/re-enrollment.page?

Folks if you are a skilled AVS tech and you have been out for less than 5 years (in some cases longer than 5 years) and you are looking to re-enrol go to the link I posted - it's for Skilled Air Force Managed Occupations.  NCM or Officer, we will assist you back into service.  We will do our best to find you a job through direct conversation with the Career Manager before you put your application in . 

The Air Force needs skilled AVS techs and skilled pilots; call me, leave a message, or fire me an email.  If you are a pilot I'll send you to my co-worker who just finished going through the re-enrolment process himself.

Can't hurt ..

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2013, 18:17:37 »
Did I do good John ?  ;D