Author Topic: Tan berets and other CANSOFCOM, JTF, and CSOR fashions [1st split: CSOR]  (Read 223950 times)

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
I thought that it was rather foolish/pompous at first. If billed as a "service dress" uniform, I still, at least a little bit, see it that way, but now look on it more as "regimental dress" and therefore accept it completely. I have no problem with kilted, bearskinned, and other peculiar traditional regimental uniforms, after all. It certainly presents a more cohesive appearance rather than the usual three-ringed-circus seen everywhere else.

In the good old days when everybody was in green, all qualified members of the Airborne Regiment wore maroon berets, Airborne capbadges, and jump boots regardless of occupation and parent regiment or branch. Today, two of the three coloured uniforms cannot be worn with division/brigade/other patches, which I think is wrong. We wore the 4 CMBG patch in 444 Squadron, and many of us were miffed when we were no longer allowed to do so upon being stuck into light blue.

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post

Great, I got a new command badge.  What I really needed was a decent effin flashlight so I don't have to buy my own at a PX again...$500k could buy a lot of good, tactical flashlights and decent boots for my Sqn.

Hey, at least you guys get to buy flashlights. We techs are on tool control and have to use the flashlights on the tool board. If they work and we can find batteries.

We could also spend that 500k on training  so we don't have guys sitting around for 2 years waiting on a career course required to do their primary job.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL

We could also spend that 500k on training  so we don't have guys sitting around for 2 years waiting on a career course required to do their primary job.

There's that too! 

I've got nothing against DEUs and all that...I just think all these "only 500k" projects add up and I see where the money could surely be better spent.

If its only a few hundred thousand here or there...they can drop some of it on my Mid-Nov pay!   :sinister:

"...Pilot, Radar...turn right, heading...3-6-5..."

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
There's that too! 

I've got nothing against DEUs and all that...I just think all these "only 500k" projects add up and I see where the money could surely be better spent.

If its only a few hundred thousand here or there...they can drop some of it on my Mid-Nov pay!   :sinister:

Not if it's run on Phoenix!  :skull:         :moose:

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Not if it's run on Phoenix!  :skull:         :moose:

Actually, you probably have a better chance of getting that kind of pay under Phoenix...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/phoenix-overpayments-ottawa-70-million-1.3969455

Optio

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
 :rofl:

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Actually, you probably have a better chance of getting that kind of pay under Phoenix...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/phoenix-overpayments-ottawa-70-million-1.3969455

"The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is its inefficiency." Eugene McCarthy
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Fred Herriot

• Rate Post
  • New Recruit
    • http://NA
Re: Tan berets and other CANSOFCOM, JTF, and CSOR fashions [1st split: CSOR]
« Reply #257 on: November 08, 2017, 07:15:52 »
I'm rather ambiguous concerning the issuing of a special "DEU" for the folks at CANSOFCOM.  Technically, it's not an independent service but a joint service command, so the fact that personnel from the Navy, Army and Air Force are serving in it should be acknowledged.  Everyone had either the tan beret or the tan inserts in the dress cap or wedge cap to mark them, not to mention the command badge on the jacket.

The idea of bringing out a whole different uniform kit for people in CANSOFCOM, atop the waste of money when (as people on this chat and elsewhere have commented on ad nauseam) there are a billion things more vital to worry about, just strikes me as creating some sort of "fourth armed service" visually.  Are we trying to establish our own version of the Marine Corps while refusing to acknowledge where the people who pass selection processes and serve in CANSOFCOM came from originally?  Don't we want to show that our special forces are made of people who come from the traditional service, who are willing to do something new, exciting and vital to the national defence?  The tan berets/cap inserts and the command badge was enough in my eyes.

Ah, well...!

If this is the way it's going to be, let it be so...

It's still a waste of money if you ask me.

But now, I'm putting on my "insignia geek" hat and nitpick?  Since it has been the tradition of CANSOFCOM that personnel get to wear their branch/corps/regimental insignia on their uniforms, how exactly will the rank insignia be displayed?  Will the Navy officers get to have their executive curls?  Air Force personnel wear pearl grey insignia?  Or are the badges going all Army crowns and Vimy stars?  I hope, at least, that the origins and trades of the personnel in the command WILL be reflected on their rank and service insignia.  At least let THAT happen!

Okay, "insignia geek" hat off. ;)
Non Nobis Sed Patriae
Servire Armatis

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #258 on: November 08, 2017, 08:55:10 »
The idea of bringing out a whole different uniform kit for people in CANSOFCOM, atop the waste of money when (as people on this chat and elsewhere have commented on ad nauseam) there are a billion things more vital to worry about, just strikes me as creating some sort of "fourth armed service" visually. 
It's still a waste of money if you ask me.

They are considered a 4th, independent command, not a joint command.

But now, I'm putting on my "insignia geek" hat and nitpick?  Since it has been the tradition of CANSOFCOM that personnel get to wear their branch/corps/regimental insignia on their uniforms, how exactly will the rank insignia be displayed?  Will the Navy officers get to have their executive curls?  Air Force personnel wear pearl grey insignia?  Or are the badges going all Army crowns and Vimy stars?  I hope, at least, that the origins and trades of the personnel in the command WILL be reflected on their rank and service insignia.  At least let THAT happen!

Okay, "insignia geek" hat off. ;)

Last I saw them, they all wore the same Combats and Berets, but the rank insignia was indicative of their former branch (i.e. the Major I met had Air-Force style rank slip-ons).

That being said, these particular personnel I met were support trades. I'm not sure if it's any different for operators. If, for example, I was to join as Special Operations Assault Officer (lol), would my slip-ons stay executive curl, or switch to pips?
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #259 on: November 08, 2017, 13:24:10 »
That being said, these particular personnel I met were support trades. I'm not sure if it's any different for operators. If, for example, I was to join as Special Operations Assault Officer (lol), would my slip-ons stay executive curl, or switch to pips?

Duh, it would be just Velcro, along with your name and everything else, because it's tactical.   :rofl:
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #260 on: November 08, 2017, 14:23:13 »
That's it!  CANSOFCOM clearly needs new ranks as well!

I found the Armed Forces Dress Committee Proposal for CANSOF new ranks:

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #261 on: November 08, 2017, 16:41:39 »
I'm rather ambiguous concerning the issuing of a special "DEU" for the folks at CANSOFCOM.  Technically, it's not an independent service...

But then again, the RCN, C Army and RCAF aren't independent services either, yet each have their Distinct Environmental Uniforms...

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/n-5/page-2.html#h-10

The Canadian Forces are the armed forces of Her Majesty raised by Canada and consist of one Service called the Canadian Armed Forces.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #262 on: November 08, 2017, 19:15:30 »
Duh, it would be just Velcro, along with your name and everything else, because it's tactical.   :rofl:

Odd. These guys didn't have any name tags or badges displayed, but seem to have done well on Mt Longdon regardless.

I guess they didn't get the memo on how displaying lots of badges increases combat power... or something like that.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #263 on: November 08, 2017, 20:10:45 »
But notice...their ammo belts are NOT strung the same, 1 has a moustache and one doesn't....and wait.  Is that an issued grenade?  Because if it isn't, you can't use it.  It doesn't matter if it is a better one than your issued one.  Leave your personal grenades at home troops.  Sling those SRAAWs the same their gentlemen...wouldn't want the enemy to see us unprofessional!

Only by looking like clones can you be combat effective.  It must be true...I saw it on Facebook last week.

;D

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #264 on: November 09, 2017, 11:33:33 »
You forgot something EITS - their clothing is a bit dirty and the dude on the GPMG needs a shave...

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #265 on: November 09, 2017, 19:05:47 »
You forgot something EITS - their clothing is a bit dirty and the dude on the GPMG needs a shave...

MM

And an RSM I know would try to give them a hard time for not having the same scrim on their helmets. Seriously.