Author Topic: Is CFSPDB not used to its full potential  (Read 28034 times)

Offline CFSPDB

• Rate Post
Is CFSPDB not used to its full potential
« on: March 10, 2006, 01:33:00 »
Why is the  CFSPDB not  full  or at lest running to 80% of it total numbers for inmates

Offline AmmoTech90

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Catching Bullets
Re: Is CFSPDB not used to its full potential
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 02:04:30 »
Because there aren't enough people sent there to make it full or at 80%.

It's not a volunteer thing you know...
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

The fragrance of Afghanistan
Rewards a long day's toil
A Passage to Bangkok- Rush

Offline CFSPDB

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 06:21:31 »
NOt enough people?  I think 80%  of 25 is around 20. So where is it  we dont have enough people to send.

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 12:06:45 »
Are you talking about manning or people who actually go there because of an offence?

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 12:08:23 »
Why is the  CFSPDB not  full  or at lest running to 80% of it total numbers for inmates
Are you insinuating that more of us should do the Crime, so we can do the time?  Just to keep the DB full?   :-[
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 12:14:33 »
Are you insinuating that more of us should do the Crime, so we can do the time?  Just to keep the DB full?   :-[
I suggest we start by sending CFSPDB to motivate others... maybe if MPs lead the way, others would follow...  ::)
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Online Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 12:21:01 »

Since your profile is empty, should we assume that you're posting from CFSPDB? ;D

Feeling a bit lonely????
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 12:27:45 »
Wow...I never realized that was such a problem.

I fear I've failed in that I've neglected this ongoing situation.

meni0n, I think it's now our DUTY to go commit service offences, so that we may be part of the solution...

or wait, if it's not full capacity, maybe another solution has been working...like, the deterrent factor?
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 12:29:36 »
Right, I'm going to trash my room asap.  :)

Offline CFSPDB

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 17:00:34 »
If you want to trash your room go ahead. I was trying to get across why are not  more people sentenced to deter others. Btw Sig guys are the first one  to break in DB  ;D

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 17:10:04 »
If you want to trash your room go ahead. I was trying to get across why are not  more people sentenced to deter others. Btw Sig guys are the first one  to break in DB  ;D

Alcohol and smoke withdrawal? Probably.  :blotto:
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm not just disobedient, I'm careful
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 17:14:28 »
Des,

Remember "Every good troop spends time in jail" so I ask how good of a troop are you?   8)
"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

When the going gets tough I take a nap...It's easier that way

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 17:17:08 »
Des,

Remember "Every good troop spends time in jail"

"The better troops get away with it"

I'll leave it at that.  ;)

Offline CFSPDB

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 17:20:20 »
Digger time was a promotional avenue way back when. As for with drawl  No one has addictions.......well thats what they say   and three later  the scracthing starts.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 17:24:36 »
How long ago was "way back when"?   Was that in "the good old days"?  Or "back in the day"?

Offline CFSPDB

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2006, 17:37:06 »
Way back when is before 1988  but after 1975  The  good old days only apply to germany time :)

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2006, 17:43:02 »
Well, in that case, I remember "way back when", and the majority of the soldiers I saw go to SDB were improved by it only with respect to deepening their resolve to achieve civilian status.

Based on my experience of hearing it from NCOs of the early 80s, I would suggest that the "urban legend" of soldiers "improved" by doing time definitely predates your chosen period for "way back when" and the time served was not for the same crimes of note in the early 80s (ex., drug use).

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2006, 17:52:52 »
So let me get this straight...

Someone who has been in since around 1988, who works at the DB, is asking about why it is not being used nearly up to capacity?

Hmmm?

Possibly because new troops don't get into trouble as severely as often. Or possibly the COs want to sort out their own problems, not push them off to others?

Would a better question be:

If we are not using it to its capacity, why do we need it?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 19:44:08 by Armymedic »
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline CFSPDB

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2006, 18:52:10 »
Based on my experience of hearing it from NCOs of the early 80s, I would suggest that the "urban legend" of soldiers "improved" by doing time definitely predates your chosen period for "way back when" and the time served was not for the same crimes of note in the early 80s (ex., drug use

I am so sorry I don't go by hearsay. I actually work there and I do see some,not all but some soldiers do get back on the right track. I do think that a increase in use  would perhaps encourage the others to embrace the Army way.  I believe we have seen a decrease in the quality of the recruit ever sense Cornwallis was closed. CFSPDB  seems to be the last place for discipline   well  maybe  3 RCR still has it to

Offline Michael O'Leary

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 20:01:40 »
Oh, so my personal experience with soldiers going to and returning from SDB when I was a platoon commander in the 80s is heresay?

Please tell us how the CF should increase the numbers of soldiers being sent to SDB, since this is your solution to "improving" the NCO corps.

Offline Kasanika

• Rate Post
    • Our Family blog
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2006, 21:44:34 »
Maybe we should lower capacity by about 20%, say convert some cells into storage or offices, then it will be operating at 100% capacity again.
And if more people start getting sent there then convert the cells back.
All the best,
Bart
If something is worth doing, it's worth doing half-assed.

Offline J. Gayson

• Rate Post
  • . . .
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2006, 22:15:49 »
"The better troops get away with it"

I'll leave it at that.  ;)

The best troops get CD's.  12 years of undetected crime.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 22:20:18 by J. Gayson »

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2006, 00:40:11 »
I am so sorry I don't go by hearsay. I actually work there and I do see some,not all but some soldiers do get back on the right track. I do think that a increase in use  would perhaps encourage the others to embrace the Army way.  I believe we have seen a decrease in the quality of the recruit ever sense Cornwallis was closed. CFSPDB  seems to be the last place for discipline   well  maybe  3 RCR still has it to

Yes, of course, the old "declining quality argument".

I'm sure that the NCOs who trained you grumbled about the poor quality of recruits too - back in 1976, and their NCOs did it to them too.

I really have doubts as to how a medic who has "lots" of experience is able to gauge the level of discipline in my unit from his lofty perch over in the sin bin. Very perceptive.

You work with the bottom .02% of the military, most of whom are on their way out of the CF anyway - how would you know?
No leader was ever hated for being too hard, but a great many were for attempting to appear that way.

Offline CFSPDB

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2006, 11:07:08 »

I really have doubts as to how a medic who has "lots" of experience is able to gauge the level of discipline in my unit from his lofty perch over in the sin bin. Very perceptive.

You work with the bottom .02% of the military, most of whom are on their way out of the CF anyway - how would you know?

I was asking a question  on a open  forum  but I see by your profiel you have 7 years in So give us your in depth thoughts on  the other 98%. And as for your unit???????????/ Not all of us were the same trade we started out as. Please tell us about your experience in or working with CFSPDB if not maybe you can move on and lend you vast experience to other post /forums  who need  your knowledge.

Offline BulletMagnet

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm not just disobedient, I'm careful
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2006, 11:12:47 »
*Runs for his trench*

INCOMING!!!!!!!  ;D
"Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence" Cpl Jordan Anderson 1981-2007 RIP

When the going gets tough I take a nap...It's easier that way