Author Topic: The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....  (Read 199209 times)

Offline Tomas

• Rate Post
Re: question about shaving
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2004, 19:06:23 »
are you implying i dont have cover up?:P

jk i dont have any.. but it would be a good idea thanks

Offline ringo_mountbatten

• Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2004, 19:17:46 »
umm i am not so sure you wanna get caught wearing cover up if you are a guy. just a thought that the razor burn might be better to show than having someone find out you are wearing coverup. 

Offline Tomas

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2004, 19:21:05 »
actually i figure youd get yelled at for razor burn:P id rahter wear consealer than get yelled at:P

Offline ringo_mountbatten

• Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2004, 19:27:42 »
i think concealer might elicit the same response as razor burn.   you are better off trying to find a way to shave that doesn't result in razor burn and just take care of the problem at the source.  

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2004, 19:28:56 »
They're not animals, they're not going to jack you up for razor burn. If they find out you put on makeup, man it's all over.
In the words of my first troop commander, "Suck it up Buttercup"

Cheers
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline atticus

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2004, 19:52:33 »
You won't get any trouble for having having razor burn. Guy on my BMQ got it extremly bad and he had no problem whatsoever, in fact one of our MCpl gave him tips for getting rid of it. Your also not allowed to wear make-up while in uniform. And hasn't this topic been discussed?
"Canada being mad at you is like Mr. Rodgers throwing a brick through your window." - John Stewart

D-n-A

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2004, 19:53:34 »
Yea, you won't get jacked up for razor burn(great way to show to the NCOs that you shaved that morning too   :D   )

But wearing make up... if your a guy.. just no.. you will get jacked up rather harshly an probably get a warning.

Offline CFN. Orange

• Rate Post
  • Proud to be Canadian ARTE ET MARTE
    • http://www.25service.ca
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2004, 19:56:26 »
If your razor burn is really really bad ...chances are your going to be able to go to the MIR and get a med chit stating that you can take 48 hours in between shaves.
Proud to drink and be Canadian.
True Blue Leafs Fan.
ARTE ET MARTE

R421 Weaps Tech (land)
25 Svc Bn (Toronto)

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt!
    • CANUCK
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2004, 19:58:00 »
Also, always shave in the same direction; this is a simple thing but some guys miss it.  Make sure the strokes on your face go the same direction each time you shave.
"So, how's your sister?" -Brigadeführer Hermann Fegelein

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com
 http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2004, 20:07:17 »
I used to get it on my neck really bad, Mach 3 Turbo with Nivea for men shave gel (the menthol one) and Nivea aftershave.  Works wonders, if it doesn't just try different shaving creams/gels until you find a good one, I used to swear by Edge Gel till by buddy told me to try Nivea menthol and I haven't used anything else since. Also, take a wet washcloth soaked with water as hot as you can stand and hold it on your face for a few seconds before laying the gel on. It'll open your pores and allow your hair to move around without getting really irritated. Then when you rinse, use warm-cool water, not cold if you can help it.  Then rub the aftershave on, if you're bleeding hold a towel around your chin/neck for a few min.

It works for me, the only time I get bad razor burn now is if I'm wearing a shirt and tie and it rubs on my neck.

Cheers
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline Tomas

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2004, 20:59:17 »
btw guys:P i was kidding bout the makeup:P  im just tired and being goofy but thanks for the info bout razor burn.. i sometimes get it bad:P

Offline combat_medic

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Mod of burninating
    • Seaforth Highlanders of Canada
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2004, 16:47:19 »
The hotter and wetter you can get your face before shaving, the easier the save. If you can, have a hot shower and shave immediately after. If not, the suggestion about the hot wet washcloth works well. It will soften the hair and make for an easier shave.

Another trick I learned is to use hair conditioner instead of shaving cream. It will gunk up your razor faster, but softens the hairs and moisturizes the skin at the same time. Especially useful if you're in a hotel room and don't have shaving cream.
"If you're in a fair fight, your tactics suck." - Paracowboy

Offline Bert

• Rate Post
  • Military
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2004, 00:48:02 »
If you're going to a Reg Force BMQ in St.Jean, likely (sorry Combat Medic) you won't get a chance
to take a hot morning shower.  First off, its never hot and second the guys that cleaned the
washroom the night before will be pissed and throw a mop at you.

Razor burn is skin irritation caused by the blade scraping off a layer of decent skin as well as the
wiskers and other stuff.  In most cases, the skin will adapt to frequent daily shavings over
time (may be two weeks) but temporary discomfort is unavoidable.  Just make it bearable
for yourself and the Staff will get the picture once they see the razor burn so don't sweat it.

From my experience, use a moisturizing shaving gel and Schick disposables (sharp, gets in
the curves, and keeps sharpness over many shaves).  Wash your face and pat dry.
Apply a moisturing creme over the rough areas or anywhere it feels dry.  Keep
a tube of Zincofax around on areas that get really tender.  It will heal.  As a week and
then two go by, the razor burn will diminish as the skin adapts to shaving. 

Good luck.

Offline Kevin_B

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2004, 02:00:23 »
Are electric razors allowed?

Offline Jamson

• Rate Post
Razor Burn!!!
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2004, 14:55:03 »
I figured this would be a good place to ask since all or most of you shave(males of course).

Well everytime I shave I get razor burn on my neck... I try shaving against the grain, with the grain and it doesn't matter what I do I still get razor burn.
I use Gillette sensitive skin shaving gel not cream, Addia's anti-razor burn aftershave and a shick 4 razor blade. Can you guys give me some pointers as to what I mite be doing wrong or what I should be doing to get it right? (I've also tried skin moisturizer to keep it from getting dry and it made little difference.)

*edit* I know this kind of thing has been asked a lot but I think it mite be because of the kind of razor I am using or something.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 15:09:32 by Daryl J »

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: Razor Burn!!!
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2004, 15:08:49 »
You may have a minor allergy.  Try using soap and water only after shaving.  I have a problem with aftershave lotions, so I don't use them at all (well hardly).

GW
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline ReadyAyeReady

• Rate Post
  • Armchair 2nd Lt.
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2004, 15:15:17 »
I have one thing to say:

Gillette Mach III

I used to get razor burn all the time...until I tried out the Mach III...its pricy but worth it...and you don't have to change the blades all the time.

"He who dies with the most toys, still dies." (No Fear T-Shirt)

"University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small." (Henry Kissinger)

Offline Jamson

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2004, 15:32:20 »
Well I use the Schick with 4 blades and it's a good razor. How often should you be changing the blades?

Offline Garbageman

• Rate Post
  • Corrupter of Youth
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2004, 18:10:47 »
Four blades can mean four times the irritation.  Try a razor with fewer blades and see if it makes any difference. 
Usque ad finem - To the very end (428 Ghost Sqn, RCAF)

Offline AmmoTech90

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Catching Bullets
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2004, 18:58:31 »
Electric,

Used to get little cut and bumps all around my Adam's Apple and a couple of inchs to each side.  Switched to electric around 12 years ago and would never go back.  Have gone through three razors in that time.  Give your face a week or so to get used to it and buy a decent razor and you should be fine (unless your one of those people who can use electrics...).  A good rechargable should last a week or so on a charge so you can take it on short TDs, or just buckle down and use a normal blade in the field if conditions dont allow for electric.
Yep the Mach 3 is nice, took it to the UK with me recently and used it there.  Got around five or six shaves from a blade before I noticed a degradation in qualitity, but I have a fairly heavy beard.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

The fragrance of Afghanistan
Rewards a long day's toil
A Passage to Bangkok- Rush

Offline ramy

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2004, 19:08:29 »
I use the Mach 3 razor too and I have been very happy with it. As ReadyAyeReady said, its a little pricy but its well worth it.

Offline CheersShag

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My mom says I'm cool
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2004, 19:59:15 »
I also use to get extremely irritated where I would shave regardless of what aftercare I used or how I shaved.
I switched to electric and I will never go back unless I have to.
A decent electric is worth the investment, however there are obviously certain times you can't use it..

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2004, 23:09:16 »
I use a Mach 3t oo and love it, but I too have very sensitive skin, and thick hair.

I get the nicks and burns as well.  but it is funny some days I do, some I don't.

I Should have become a Pioneer

tess

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2004, 01:52:49 »
I use the old fashioned Gillette "safety razor", usually with normal shaving cream. I put on some warm soapy water first, then lather. (right now in A'stan I'm using shaving "cakes" that produce lather...). I use a sharp blade (keep replacing it often) and I get a very close shave (much better than any electric I have ever tried...) with no irritation.

I think alot of it has to do with skin and hair types. My son, who is a much hairier guy than me, gets hideous razor burn and sometimes has to stop shaving for a couple of days-he uses MachIII. Cheers.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline AndrewD83

• Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2004, 02:23:33 »
You guys got it all wrong.  It isn't the blade that determines whether you get razor burn... it is the protection you use!  I use to get nasty razor burn if I shaved every day or so.  I tried Mach III, expensive electric shavers, cheap one blade Bic shavers.... and I always got razor burn.

So I started changing my shaving cream.  After many trips to the drug store I finally found one shaving cream that doesn't give me razor burns.

Aveeno - Therapeutic Shave Gel is what you need. (there are many different kinds of Aveeno.... make sure you get the 'Therapeutic Shave Gel.'  It has the navy blue cap.)  It is just as expensive as any other shaving cream on the market and can be easily found in any drug store.

Now I can use any razor (I am currently shaving with the Schick disposiable, two blade razors.  Very cheap and easy to find, excellent close shave) and I do not get even a hint of razor burn or bumps even after shaving five or six days in a row.

Hope this helps guys.