Author Topic: Cadets Joining the Reserves - Can it be Both?  (Read 93891 times)

Offline mo-litia

• Banned
  • Rate Post
    • The Loyal Edmonton Regiment Homepage
Re: Cadets Joining the Reserves
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2005, 07:16:56 »
Join . . . JOIN NOW! Get paid for your weekends and decide if the regs are for you while you are still in high school.   As a former cadet this is what I did when I was 17. (The age to join the reserves back then.)   Of course, I liked the reserves so much (The $2000 / year post secondary benefit helps as well.   ;) ) that I stayed for the long run; and I'm still getting a pension!   ;D
"LET THE EASTERN BASTARDS FREEZE IN THE DARK"
- Popular Alberta bumper sticker from the Trudeau era; placed here in homage to all Liberals across Canada

OPTION A:
http://www.conservative.ca/

OPTION B:
http://www.separationalberta.com/
------------------------------------------

Offline Saorse

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2005, 10:17:58 »
Depending on your location to a reserve training base. Even with the opportunity of joining the reserves now, I'd never leave cadets.
-- If I am a hero today, that is in question again tomorrow. I am never relieved of responsibility. --

Pte. Gagnon

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2005, 17:52:30 »
In November I'm joining the reserves...then im going Reg

Offline Globemaster

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2005, 19:24:23 »
Depending on your location to a reserve training base. Even with the opportunity of joining the reserves now, I'd never leave cadets.

thats why you do both!!

Pte. Gagnon

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2005, 11:45:21 »
thats why you do both!!

I'd love to do both but Cadets are on Tuesdays and the reserves train on Tuesdays.

Offline Alex252

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2005, 14:22:11 »
AS others have mentioned.. while Cadets is certainly something to be proud of, when I was going through ROTP (RMC) there were a significant amount of people coming through who came from Cadets.. many knew each other, and most were the "top" or "senior" cadets... with a plethora of awards, ranks, etc....   I think it took all of two hours on our first day for one of the DS to proclaim that he did not give a rats ---- who had been in Cadets, and that we were all in the real military now.

Well im glad that the "DS" said that, bring some of those cocky people backdown to Earth
Aspiring CF member!

Offline Globemaster

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2005, 19:59:09 »
yea when i parade with the reserves i pretend i don't know anything and just go with the flow. its easier that way. plus some of the reserves drill is different from whats learnt in cadets

Offline Love793

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2005, 15:48:03 »
yea when i parade with the reserves i pretend i don't know anything and just go with the flow. its easier that way. plus some of the reserves drill is different from whats learnt in cadets

Drill is the same, you where taught wrong (either in cadets or reserves).  Good idea to "play dumb" though.  I've seen many young soldiers, fall victim to the 'MCpl, when I was a cadet..." statement.
The role of Cavalry is to add dash and colour, to a otherwise drab event called war.

Offline Globemaster

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2005, 18:14:41 »
does front rank stick their arm out while doing right dress?...cause cadets do and my reserves regt. don't.. oh and like the procedure for filling in in front of the officer to recieve award/promotion in reserves is different from what i learnt in cadets. and plus you gotta learn c7 drill...which is really different from drill cadets do with the enfild  ???

Offline Sapper24

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2005, 21:21:46 »
C7 drill isn't that hard, its kinda like riding a bike once you got it you never forget it, well at least for some people...but ya some of the drill movements are different in the reserves/reg. Forces, like the right dress I noticed that too in one of my first nights parading with the reserves.  :cdn:

Offline Zedic

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2005, 21:41:57 »
I've seen right dress done both ways.  When I do NCOs Parade (where all NCOs are inspected by the RSM prior to the cadets being inspected) we don't use arms, but we do for anything involving the junior cadets.

Offline Love793

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2005, 13:22:42 »
does front rank stick their arm out while doing right dress?...cause cadets do and my reserves regt. don't.. oh and like the procedure for filling in in front of the officer to recieve award/promotion in reserves is different from what i learnt in cadets. and plus you gotta learn c7 drill...which is really different from drill cadets do with the enfild   ???

The CF Manual of drill and ceremonil (201) is the same regardless of the element.
The role of Cavalry is to add dash and colour, to a otherwise drab event called war.

Offline Meridian

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2005, 14:39:07 »
IAP and RMC taught me to use arms...

Offline Love793

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2005, 21:28:50 »
The only reason why we guesstimate our distant without using an appendage, is when under arms (carrying rifle), it's carried in the right arm (usually).  It makes it hard to do, with a wpn in your arm.

Offline marshall sl

• Rate Post
  • Retired Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2005, 21:32:59 »
As I recall, using the arms on the right dress is for new /inexperianced troops. The arms are left at the side for the remainder.
The land of hills, glens, and heroes; where the ptarmigan thrives and where the red deer finds shelter; as long as mist hangs o'er the mountains and water runs in the glens, may the deeds of its brave be remembered, and health and victory be with the lads of the Cabar Feidh."

Offline foxtwo

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2005, 22:43:12 »
My Flight Officer said that you had to quit cadets before you can join the Reserves. Is this true? Sorry if this question has already been asked/answered.

Offline Kyle Burrows

• I'm Batman
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Barking out orders"
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2005, 23:09:23 »
No,  It is incorrect.  The only way you can be forced to leave cadets is if your CO and the CO of your cadet corps agree that you being discharged from cadets is the best thing.
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-- February 1955 Combat Forces Journal

Offline Sapper24

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2005, 01:29:42 »
you don't have to quit cadets, pendind on who you are, you can do both at the same time, from my point of view it is better to quit cadets and join the reserves, but to answer your question, no you don't have to quit cadets to join the reserves

Offline Saorse

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2005, 15:42:01 »
It really is something how greatly opinions differ on this subject.
-- If I am a hero today, that is in question again tomorrow. I am never relieved of responsibility. --

Offline Frankex

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2005, 12:48:13 »
i have spent the past year trying to decide what i want to do, go to college and join reserves, go to rmc (didn't have the proper credits so nothing happend there), join reg force and try to go to college, go regs only, or stay at home and get a full time job and pay rent. you really do get lost when you know you have nothing coming after the summer.

i think i am going to go with the reg force. i have an application all filled out for a vehicle technician. it sounds like something i want to do. and after 4 years i will be a fully qualified mechanic.

Offline william

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2005, 15:16:43 »
I was thinking of staying in cadets until im old enough to get into the regs and then quit cadets.
Cadets has been a good experience for me but i think that the regs would be a better one.

Dogbert

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2005, 01:14:47 »
I never thought you could do both..weird. I wouldnt do that though, would probably take up to much time.

I guess its a difference in opinion, I never even thought you could until I saw this thread.

Offline ouyin2000

• Rate Post
  • Me Start Engine, Okay Pal?
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2005, 02:32:29 »
neither the reserves nor the cadets say yes or no directly, it's all based on whether your cadet unit CO and your reserve unit CO both say yes
--
"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are" - Kurt Cobain

Offline aspiring officer

• Rate Post
  • GOOOO ZIPPERHEADS!!!
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2005, 19:00:57 »
No,  It is incorrect.  The only way you can be forced to leave cadets is if your CO and the CO of your cadet corps agree that you being discharged from cadets is the best thing.

Actually, according to the recruiting center, you must leave cadets once you have sworn in to the Forces. But i asked this in the context of a Reg force member. It probably is different for reserves.

Offline Saorse

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2005, 20:20:34 »
It is definitely different for Reserves. :)