Author Topic: After BMQ - PAT [Merged]  (Read 50481 times)

Offline CJS21

• Rate Post
Re: After BMQ - PAT [Merged]
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2014, 20:11:43 »
I will soon be part of PAT platoon in Gagetown as armoured. Quick question. What's the cost of living in shacks on base ( rations and such) per month?

Offline Ayrsayle

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2014, 14:39:04 »
I'm currently on PAT Pl until end of September when i start poet and I got approved to get a pmq with my SO with no hassles, it's very easy to get a pmq all you need to do is put a request to vacate through your CoC

While the experience was "easy" for you, it will entirely depend on the CoC involved, circumstances, and a whole host of other variables.  For everyone that finds it easy, there is a fair number who unfortunately did not. 

In contrast - I had a friend (Armoured) who was injured but ultimately passed BMOQ when we headed to Gagetown.  His injury made him unable to be loaded on any courses, and he spent the next two years getting surgeries and unable to move out of quarters (despite knowledge of how long he would be unable to continue training).  Only way he ended up living with his wife again was when he requested a posting to a staff position elsewhere.

So your milage may vary.
Leadership is understanding people and involving them to help you do a job. That takes all of the good characteristics, like integrity, dedication of purpose, selflessness, knowledge, skill, implacability, as well as determination not to accept failure. ~Admiral Arleigh A. Burke

"It takes 10 minutes to dress like an Infantryman, but it takes a few years to become a good one" - Jungle (Army.ca)

Offline medeiros87

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2015, 22:50:35 »
Hey, I have a question regarding when I'm able to move my girlfriend to live with me after bmq.I'm listed as single because we have only been together for a year and living together for 6 months.

Thank you.

Adam

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2015, 22:55:10 »
Hey, I have a question regarding when I'm able to move my girlfriend to live with me after bmq.I'm listed as single because we have only been together for a year and living together for 6 months.

Thank you.

Adam

DON"T DO IT!
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline medeiros87

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2015, 22:56:35 »
Lol, no seriously. Any idea?

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2015, 23:38:35 »
You've not given us enough information to give you an adequate answer.

I'm going to presume that you're Reg Force. If that's the case, then it's unlikely your girlfriend will be able to live "with" you while you undertake QL3 training. What some folks have managed to do is to move their partner to a nearby town and rent on the economy. You may still be required to maintain a barrack room and pay for rations, so it may prove costly to choose this path.

In any event, you will have to check with the school you will be attending next to see what your options are.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline medeiros87

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2015, 00:38:30 »
Thank you and yes I'm reg force. I'm enrolled as a vehicle tech. I already completed an automotive apprenticeship so my schooling after bmq, sq, and my driver training has been shortened a great deal. I have 12 courses I have to complete and I was told by my local recruiting center that it might only be a months worth or even shorter.

Thanks.

Offline mkil

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2015, 11:17:09 »
Your course may be only a couple months in total, but there are several parts to your trades course. Each section may have weeks or months waiting in between. And directly after BMQ, you will be put on PAT platoon (personnel awaiting training) until you are course loaded. This could be a week or a year - you will have no idea until you get to Borden.

Even if you were married, you are unable to move any spouse or dependents to Borden while you are doing your QL3 training. Once you get posted after your QL3 she can move with you - but because you are no officially common law you will not receive financial compensation for her travel, she will not be able to accompany you on a house hunting trip or meal allowances. If you tie the knot prior to moving, then you will be entitled to those benefits.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Ghandi

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2015, 12:02:18 »
Once you get posted after your QL3 she can move with you - but because you are no officially common law you will not receive financial compensation for her travel, she will not be able to accompany you on a house hunting trip or meal allowances. If you tie the knot prior to moving, then you will be entitled to those benefits.

The OP says they have lived together for 6 months.  After they live together for a year, they can submit documents for Common Law Status.  If the OP is away for 4 of those months because of service reasons, they can still count them.  So, it will be possible for the OP to attain CLS before his/her posting after attaining Career Status.

If/when the OP is successful at common law status, as long as it is before a COS date after trg, they would be entitled to a cost move including the common law spouse.
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline medeiros87

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2015, 13:24:23 »
Oh OK. Thanks for the info guys. Looks like it could be a while.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2015, 16:56:13 »
Probably.  Basically, you are entitled to a 'cost move' when you reach "Career Status",which is defined as QL3 qualified OR 3 years of service, whichever comes first.

However, you can apply to your CO for Common Law Status after the 12 months residing together part.  That would require you to remain residing with her until you depart for CFLRS and that your primary residence remain that address, with her still living there, for the duration of the 12 months.

Then, enquire into your CofC about applying for CLS.  Cheers.
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline medeiros87

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2015, 17:10:40 »
Perfect OK. I'm going to be sending my gf half of each months rent through e-transfer while in St.Jean and having her still get receipts. Thanks again. I was just talking to a friend of my parents who's son left for bmq a year ago and now is in Borden. I guess he was told it was 6 months common law ( don't know if it changed again or not) and he was able to move his gf and child to Borden because his training is going to take over a year. I guess he was also told that they usually won't move your spouse up if your time in Borden looks like it will be less than a year? Anyways, thanks again. I guess I'll have to figure it all out for myself after my bmq.

Offline medeiros87

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2015, 17:21:06 »
Thanks though for taking the time to answer me. I'm not at all challenging your info either. It seems like there are some different factors that come into play when trying to figure this all out. The info at least gives me an idea of what to expect.

Offline kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2015, 18:48:42 »
...he was told it was 6 months common law ( don't know if it changed again or not) and he was able to move his gf and child to Borden because his training is going to take over a year...

This is the problem when comparing examples with other people. Your friend has a child with his common law wife, that changes what he is entitled to compared to what you have posted here.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline mkil

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2015, 12:37:50 »
Your friend was probably also in a hard air force trade - their training is much much longer. He likely was permitted to move into a PMQ with them, but he moved them there on his own dime. I am married, with a child and I was away from home for 1 year and 11 months. What Eye in the Sky said is probably your best bet - although make sure you have proof that you have resided with her as long as you say. My orderly room wanted bills with both our names on it going to the home address, or several from each person with the same addresses. Just make sure you get all your duckies in a row before you file paperwork. A lot faster to file it correct the first time, than to wait and have it sent back down because of one missing document. Best of Luck !
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Ghandi

Offline Aquila

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2017, 19:31:32 »
Hey guys just had a simple question couldn't find it in my forms, or in a thread. Do we get any time off after the 3 month BMQ? Or is it just straight from one to the other.

Offline lohocard

• Rate Post
  • Figuring everything out
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2017, 19:33:00 »
I think it depends on your trade. For me, apparently I go straight to Borden the next day and don't have any time off. I'm on week 9 BMQ. I'm also a supply tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Aquila

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2017, 19:53:14 »
Ah, I see. I'm going in on November 6th to BMQ as an infantryman.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2017, 22:59:28 »
Hey guys just had a simple question couldn't find it in my forms, or in a thread. Do we get any time off after the 3 month BMQ? Or is it just straight from one to the other.

Depends on if you're loaded on a course or not, noone but your staff will know when you finish BMQ and get sent to your next spot. You will fly out the day after your graduation to whatever location your trades training is where you will be on a holding platoon until you get loaded on course.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2017, 08:15:34 »
Do we get any time off after the 3 month BMQ?

You don't get time off because you complete courses. 

Offline sckurtis

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2017, 17:26:34 »
Depends on if you're loaded on a course or not, noone but your staff will know when you finish BMQ and get sent to your next spot. You will fly out the day after your graduation to whatever location your trades training is where you will be on a holding platoon until you get loaded on course.

if you are put on a holding platoon for a bit what kind of stuff do you do?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2017, 17:34:26 »
if you are put on a holding platoon for a bit what kind of stuff do you do?

Holding platoon is a armoured term for PAT Platoon.

Personnel Awaiting Training ( PAT ) 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,583.150.html
7 pages.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 17:39:10 by mariomike »