Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 182677 times)

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
Re: Recipes
« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2018, 12:13:09 »
Nope. The scrambled egg hack I learned (for others, I can't stand eggs as a breakfast dish) is to whisk in a can of beer - cheap ale type.

You are all welcome. :subbies:
Be nice for no reason.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2018, 15:07:37 »

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #277 on: December 23, 2018, 15:34:32 »
The best scrambled eggs that I have ever eaten (and I kid you not) were from a haybox in the hut at Granville during basic way back in the 1970s.  They were soft, fluffy, creamy and still the standard by which I measure (over four decades later) all other scrambled eggs.  There have been a few occasions when I found some close to that perfection (sometimes a restaurant, a couple of times in my own kitchen and once when a chance encounter resulted in her making me breakfast the morning after), but I was never able to find another CF cook who could replicate the feat.

Nowadays, I content myself with my own recipe that relies heavily on good quality butter in the pan as well as in the beaten eggs with the addition of Frank's RedHot Sauce.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #278 on: December 23, 2018, 17:11:33 »
Watch Gordon Ramsay's video on YouTube on how to make scrambled eggs.

Short version: you've been doing it wrong all along.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #279 on: December 23, 2018, 17:14:06 »
Watch Gordon Ramsay's video on YouTube on how to make scrambled eggs.

Short version: you've been doing it wrong all along.

I started using his method a few years ago and swear by it. Worst thing is overcooked scrambled eggs (ie the standard method most folks use)

:subbies:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #280 on: December 23, 2018, 17:16:43 »
No scrabbling ahead, no salt or pepper until the end, off the heat half the time... Crazy talk.

Eggs.  Butter.  I use a bit of EVOO in the pan in advance, and that is all.

Were I not on a train about to be served a meal, I would make some now for dinner.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #281 on: December 23, 2018, 19:24:14 »
I do like butter as well,specially cooking pancakes in it.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #282 on: December 24, 2018, 09:41:47 »
Today is "catching breath" day. 

Yesterday was a house party with a bizarre diverse (...no, bizarre may be more accurate) crowd of family, neighbours, friends, friends of friends....  Feeding was all finger foods: wings, ribs, salamis/cheeses, air-fried crusted cheese sticks, etc, etc... plus 4 flavours of hot sauces.  Popular were the Greek and Moroccan-flavoured devilled eggs, and the beef & blue cheese stuffed/bacon-wrapped mushrooms.  Some  whiney people thought that the vegan sushi had too much wasabi.  pffft  wusses  Serves them right for not being meat-eaters.

The gathering included some extra folks for breakfast, having decided that they had been 'overserved' (notwithstanding I served everyone's first drink, then pointed to the beer coolers, wine fridge, liquor shelf after that);  the spare bedrooms were used to good purpose.     ;)

The turkey is currently thawing in preparation for tomorrow's dinner... which will be spatchcocked and BBQ'd  (if only because my inner adolescent likes saying "spatchcock."   ;D

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #283 on: December 24, 2018, 09:53:29 »
The turkey is currently thawing in preparation for tomorrow's dinner... which will be spatchcocked and BBQ'd  (if only because my inner adolescent likes saying "spatchcock."   ;D

There are two ways to cook a turkey: Spatchcock, and wrong.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #284 on: December 24, 2018, 19:09:06 »
Have a Great Christmas and don't overeat.  :snowman:

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
« Reply #285 on: December 24, 2018, 19:39:06 »

Your warning came too late! Ham. Mmmmmh.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #286 on: December 24, 2018, 20:30:32 »

Make up your mind!
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #287 on: December 27, 2018, 08:44:20 »
The turkey ... spatchcocked and BBQ'd 
After splitting the turkey, I brined with water/kosher salt for about 3 hours. I then added a few pats of butter between the skin and breasts, and coated the whole thing in olive oil.  BBQ'ing took only 90 minutes, checking with meat thermometer after 1 hr. 
Delicious, moist, tender, with crispy skin.  I now have a favourite turkey recipe!   

Note that you have to acquire fat drippings for gravy another way, since there's no roasting pan.  I gathered the bits that normally get boiled into soup stock afterwards  (neck, spine [that was removed when splitting], any trimmed skin...) and added the wings (not generally eaten b/c there's so much meat available on the bird).  I threw them into the hot air fryer.  The fat that collected in the bottom of the fryer provided enough base for gravy for three of us non-vegans (yes, the extended household has some of those  weirdos). If I had to make more and didn't want to use store-bought powder, I'd likely try a mixture of butter and olive oil.*

* Yes, I read somewhere about fat clogging arteries.... so I rely on the self-delusion of "red wine cures all."   ;D

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #288 on: December 27, 2018, 14:18:52 »
Sounds tasty. One friend I know coats the turkey in mayo but it stays moist and I don't use mayo even on a sandwhich,and I thought I wouldn't like it but I loved the end result.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
« Reply #289 on: December 27, 2018, 23:30:55 »
Our solution for a moist turkey is to buy nothing but Butterballs. Nothing fancy after that just a few pats of butter on the outside.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #290 on: December 28, 2018, 00:11:01 »
We use butter and poultry seasoning and "massage" the bird.  We add 4 cups of chicken stock, some carrots, celery and onions, and baste every 30 mins for however long the bird needs to be roasted.

It's turned out pretty well so far.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #291 on: January 27, 2019, 18:25:23 »
Vermilion Snapper is delightful. Grilled over medium heat with salt, pepper, parsley and a little lemon.

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #292 on: April 29, 2019, 16:58:46 »
Bit of a necropost, but starting to look forward to the summer bbq season, and figured I'd share this.

Picked up the Food Lab cookbook for Xmas, and it's been a huge win for great recipes.  So pretty confident that this should work (once the temps get above 25 and sunny).

Cook Your Meat in a Beer Cooler: The World's Best (and Cheapest) Sous Vide Hack

[...]Here's how it works: A beer cooler is designed to keep things cool. It accomplishes this with a two-walled plastic chamber with an air space in between. This airspace acts as an insulator, preventing thermal energy (a.k.a. heat) from the outside from reaching the cold food on the inside. Of course, insulators work both ways. Once you realize that a beer cooler is just as good at keeping hot things hot as it is at keeping cold things cold, then the rest is easy: Fill up your beer cooler with water just a couple degrees higher than the temperature you'd like to cook your food at (to account for temperature loss when you add cold food to it), seal your food in a plastic Ziplock bag*, drop it in, and close your beer cooler until your food is cooked. It's as simple as that.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

He goes into a full breakdown on the site, and has a whole section on it in the cookbook.  For any science nerds, it's pretty great, because he goes through a bunch of tests with different temps, cooking times etc and compares the final output.

Going to pick up a charcoal grill as well to finish it off, so looking forward to some sweet BBQ!