Author Topic: NCM to Officer  (Read 14216 times)

Offline techie

• Rate Post
NCM to Officer
« on: June 15, 2006, 22:34:52 »
I just recently was offered a position in the CF as a LCIS tech. and i am heading to BMQ in St. Jean for the Aug 21.(YAY) I plan on having a long and fruitful carear in the forces, but one day i would like to get a degree to be an engineer. Ive read all that i could find on the recruiting site, and done searches on these forums, but i didn't find anyone that has went from NCM to Officer(except for pilots). (CEOTP)

From what i have read the requirements were minimun rank of Cpl. and a C/O's recommendation. Can anyone give me an idea of the current process of applying(when i do hit that point in my service) and what hoops/tests i would have to go through. Also, what would i be looking at in the time that i would complete my degree, and what rank i would be after i completed my degree?
It is better to keep your mouth shut, and have someone think you are stupid, then to open your mouth and prove them right.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
Re: NCM to Officer process
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 22:44:59 »
You want to search for University Training Plan for NCMs or UTPNCM.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline S.O.A.D

• Rate Post
Re: NCM to Officer process
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 23:01:47 »
Hey,Im a was a bit  in the same situation as you,I did some research on the recruiting site of the cf www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca

There is a section that talks about the officer entry plans ,I got answers to my questions from there.

I hope it helps!

Offline thekrown

• Rate Post
NCM to Officer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 14:52:19 »
Currently I am a NCM. My university degree (undergraduate) will be completed in 3-4 years and I would like some guidance on becoming an officer.

I'd like to become an officer and I'm not sure which route to take. The CF offers several programs for this and I need some guidance.

The programs I know of are RESO and DEO. My options are pretty simple.

Option 1 - DEO: Obtain Master Corporal, finish my degree and then become an officer.
Option 2 - RESO: Apply for officer training during my bachelor's and start officer training right away.

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
Re: NCM -> Officer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 18:42:31 »
You have another option.  If you are regular force, then you can apply for the University Training Plan for Non Commissioned Members (UTPNCM).  You only need be a Cpl, have two credits at a Canadian University, and be accepted into a university.  Oh, you must also be recommended by your chain of command.  Talk to your chain of command, and search for "UTPNCM" on this site.

Cheers, and I hope this helps, even if only a bit.
So, there I was....

Offline darkbenny

• Rate Post
NCM to Officer
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 22:25:47 »
Hi,

I'm currently an RMS Clerk (Reserves) that has completed BMQ, BMQL and Driver Wheel courses.  I have not completed a QL3.

I have a university degree and would like to become a Logistics Officer; my questions pertain to CAP training.  Through searching around the forum I've been able to find out that CAP training for reservists is 5 weeks long (5 mods).

Will any of the courses I've already completed reduce the amount of CAP mods I will need to take? 

Will I have to take BMQ again as well (Officer edition) as I'm transitioning from NCM?

Finally, is it possible to complete some of the CAP on weekends?

Thanks in advance! :cdn:

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: NCM to Officer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 22:38:04 »
In brief:

On top of BMQ you will require BMOQ, an officer add-on to BMQ.  It may be offered on weekends, but I've usually seen it offered for (I think) a two-week block prior to the summer.

CAP is not offered on weekends. It's modules of two weeks each, generally offered in Gagetown.  It's preferable to do the whole thing in one shot, but can be done in smaller chunks if your availability is less.

Army Reserve Log training is DL (Mod 1) in the Jan-April timeframe, followed by Mod 2 (Common) in Borden for two weeks, then Mod 3, either Supply and Transport or Finance, for another two weeks in Borden.  Mod 2 and Mod 3 are in the June/July timeframe; exact dates vary year to year.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline darkbenny

• Rate Post
Re: NCM to Officer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 22:47:45 »
Thanks for the quick reply, very informative.

Offline JB2759

• Rate Post
Changing from NCM to officer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 11:29:32 »
Here's my current situation:
I applied a few months back for the infantry soldier trade (with the intent of switching my application to the infantry officer trade once my university degree requirements were met).  Once the degree requirements were satisfied, I forwarded the updated document and sent an email informing the vrc of the desired change.  I received an email back stating that my file was sent to Detachment Hamilton for Infantry Soldier, as Infantry Officer is not currently available.
The question I have is, how difficult would it be to switch from ncm to officer once the training process has begun?

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
Re: Changing from NCM to officer
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 11:31:09 »
No one can answer that question........ebb and flow,.....requirements,.......suitability,............

Try reading some of the threads already here for more info.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Skeletor6669

• Rate Post
NCM to Officer
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 19:05:46 »
I'm currently a Pte untrained looking for info on transferring to Officer. I did 2 years towards a BA before joining the military and have been in for almost 3 years. I want to know if it's possible to OT to an Officer trade and finish my degree or should I look into other NCM trades. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Transfer from NCM to Officer
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 19:13:35 »
I'm currently a Pte untrained looking for info on transferring to Officer. I did 2 years towards a BA before joining the military and have been in for almost 3 years. I want to know if it's possible to OT to an Officer trade and finish my degree or should I look into other NCM trades. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

This may help,

NCM to Officer (UTPNCM) Merged Thread 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=82016.0
21 pages.

See also,

confusing ncm to officer question 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=107007.0

NCM -> Officer
If you are regular force, then you can apply for the University Training Plan for Non Commissioned Members (UTPNCM).  You only need be a Cpl, have two credits at a Canadian University, and be accepted into a university.  Oh, you must also be recommended by your chain of command.  Talk to your chain of command, and search for "UTPNCM" on this site.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 19:25:00 by mariomike »

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 19:13:55 »
Untrained Pte after leaving for BMQ 2.5 years ago (along with a stint on Warrior wasted space platoon) doesn't scream officer candidate to me.

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 19:27:09 »
Long story short...no

If you have a degree you could apply to the SCP. However since you don't, UTPNCM is your only choice and you need to be a substantive Cpl before you can apply.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline Fikret111

• Rate Post
NCM on holding to Officer
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 18:04:42 »
I am currently a PTE on Worthy Troop (Armoured Soldier Holding Platoon) and I want to transfer over (Air Force) Financial Officer. I haven’t done my BMQ-Land, nor my DP1 yet. I just finished High School, so I need to go to Uni to become an Officer. I know about UTPNCM, but I read that you can only do this if you are a Corporal and above. I also heard that I can go into Reserves and they will pay 50% of my schooling, then after my schooling is done I can go back into Regular Forces. Then there’s VR-ing out doing your school then joining back in.

So my question is which is the best/fastest way to do this?