Author Topic: Boot cleaning / polishing / care of  (Read 465576 times)

Offline Marti

• Rate Post
Re: Boot Polishing
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2003, 23:32:00 »
if you keep polishing after the polish has been worked out of the cloth it‘s sort of the same as buffing. the only difference is that with buffing, you tend to get streaks. they‘re not too bad but they take away from the shine. keep polishing in circles, if it feels like there‘s a lot of friction breathe on the boots (the same way little kids breathe to fog up windows), i find that gives just the right amount of moisture.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2003, 04:52:00 »
For touch ups, try using an old nylon or panty hose (boy, I can see the comments now) instead of a kiwi cloth. Just make sure it‘s clean!  :D
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2003, 08:14:00 »
This way works for cadet issue parade boots. I‘m not sure about combat boots. if they are already $hit, strip them using boiling hot water and a slightly coarse cloth. This will melt out and rub off all the contaminants.
Combat boots are not meant to be polished to the same degree as the ankle/parade boots. It is sufficent that they appear to have a slight shine to them (but if you are on QL2/BMQ, listen to what the course warrant/section commander wants).

As for the new "gortex" boots, they CAN NOT be shined as you have to use that useless boot paste that is issued with them (only good for blackening)
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2003, 14:19:00 »
Actually, it‘s officially against QR&O‘s to polish combat boots at all. But try getting away with that...!

Offline Marauder

• Rate Post
  • Dirty Infidel
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2003, 15:34:00 »
You know the actual section/number/whatever for that? Might be funny to try sometime.

C‘mon, what can they do, demote me? BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of lambs."

Offline kurokaze

• Rate Post
  • Reservist
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2003, 18:51:00 »
eh, I was reading the QR&Os and I couldn‘t find
anything which said that combat boots shouldn‘t
be polished...

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2003, 22:53:00 »
I know that it‘s in there somewhere (I had it pointed out to me by a WO, in my previous post I meant to say that the combat boots should be blackend with polish as to remove any trace of dirt or scuffs.
But from the courses I have been on, eventhough the QR&O‘S states that they are not meant to be shined, try telling that to any of the course staff and you would be in a whole new world of hurt.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

RoyalHighlander

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2003, 23:50:00 »
You are supposed to maintain your equipment, boots included. Combats are to be kept clean and polished to help maintain water proofing ( also have a **** silicone stuff for the boots.) But on any courses you take up until you are above a MCPL you better have them done nice for any of the time you are in depot in classes. BTW that future floor wax trick does work if you do it right, toe cap is done in 2 moves only across top and then aropund the front taking care NOT to overlap your stokes, and apply only once.. :)

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2003, 04:59:00 »
The new gortex boots are not to be polished because boot polish seals the leather and your feet will sweat, defeating the whole purpose of the boot. The "uselesss" paste allows you to blacken them without damaging the breatheablity.
The combat boots are issued with a care tag that tells you not to use boot polish, only the silicon & liquid blackener, both avail at the QM.
Kind of like the care tag found in your combats, that tells you not to iron them. Totally disregarded by some people.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

RoyalHighlander

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2003, 09:37:00 »
Hmm ive been out a while, was refering to the older boots... Sorry..  :D

Cadet810

Boots
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2004, 04:09:00 »
When I look at boots of service man there boots are sooo shiny ! How do you guys do it?

*regarding parade boots*

Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
Re: Boots
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2004, 09:03:00 »
Lots and lots of elbow grease.  :D

Actually I learned when I was in cadets. Most the problems with doing boots for cadets, such as yourself, is the amount of time availiable to do them. You have school, homework, some people have jobs, cadets, and trying to have a social life. Not much time for them boots is there?

My opinion here is, when you are watching TV at night, do a little polishing. Even half an hour a night for a week will show big results.

Here‘s a secret:

When they are gleaming you don‘t have to work hard on keeping them that way.

Use ONLY shoe polish, nothing else looks as good or stays better. Don‘t burn shine, they‘ll crack or dull in bright sunlight/ heat.

Hope this helps

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline CheersShag

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My mom says I'm cool
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2004, 09:21:00 »
The only real secret, like Franko said, Is time!
When you think they‘re polished well, put another layer on. Just keep building layers on layers of polish, that‘s the only real secret to shiny boots. Brush in the polish for the first few layers, then break out the kiwi cloth.

OF course, there are alot of tricks, but none of them are good for your boots and in the long run they‘ll only hurt.
I‘ve seen alot of different things; for example, lighting the polish on fire before dipping into it with the cloth (I was always too afraid to try that), kiwi parade gloss (it comes in a can just like normal polish), breathing on the boots after applying the polish then rubbing it in with the cloth.

Actually the last one I‘ll admit I use, I don‘t even know if it helps but I‘ve been doing it ever since I used to polish my dads parade boots when i was a kid and it has stuck. Just keep putting on layers, that‘s the easiest (albeit time consuming) way of doing it.

Offline Chop

• Rate Post
  • Military
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2004, 10:30:00 »
I would also suggest the Kiwi parade gloss that Che suggested, on that I would only use Kiwi polish, one reason it is very popular so if you are ever away and need polish you can get it anywhere and have consistency. But that is why I also suggest Kiwi polish; it is of very good quality and very consistent tin to tin.

Next is supplies, this is very important, you will need three brushes make sure that they are made of horse hair not nylon, some people use a cloth but I prefer a brush applicator, it is easier to get into the grooves between the sole and leather, so you will need a small brush applicator. I would also get a course brush, and then a soft fine brush; Kiwi does have the brushes as well. After you purchase them never use them for anything other than black, if you have other colors, get brushes for them.

Apply the polish all over the boots with the applicator, then let the boots sit for at least ten minutes, this gives the wax time to dry. Then with the course brush, give your boots a brisk brushing, this will remove the residue and your boots will begin to shine. Then with the fine brush, lightly brush the boots, this will polish the wax and you will start to see the difference. Then you can use a boot polish cloth to give it one more shine, but I prefer to use panty hose nylon, this will really bring out the wax, your wife or mother may not like this very much so ask if they have an old pair to give you.

Repeat the process till they come out the way you want, I agree with Franko and Che, do not try anything else like burning, or some of the liquid waxes, they bring out a quick shine but in the end get dull and you cannot get them to shine as good, never mind the cracking. And the more you polish them the shinier they will get.

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2004, 15:33:00 »
All valid points for you Cadet 810. I don‘t think you‘re going to hear anything different from anyone else. Just take your time and use the hints stated above.

Cheers
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline Lexi

• Rate Post
  • Hi.
    • Ducimus
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2004, 19:07:00 »
I‘m not sure, but I‘ll guess at lots and lots and lots of elbow greese. Or just don‘t get em dirty..
  :p
62 Royal Hamilton Light Infantry
Royal Canadian Army Cadet Corps

Semper Paratus!
Proud young supporter of the Canadian Armed Forces          :salute:

Offline Caz

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2004, 19:32:00 »
Elbow grease is the way to go.  My boots never looked as good as they did on BOQ, because we spent a couple of hours on them every night as we studied.
JRC

Offline Just A Hick

• Rate Post
  • Dirty Monkey
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2004, 01:32:00 »
Yep Elbow grease, And Time.

Ive wore the same parade boots since cadets, And Man they Put ppl to shame, except someone dropped my kiwi cloth in clp, and it dired, now my boots are foggy, oh well start over again. New base coat.

They have a shine oh, but not mirror shin..:-(
The Beatings Will CONTINUE Until Morale Increases

Robert

Cadet810

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2004, 11:59:00 »
Water or siliva ?

D-n-A

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2004, 12:53:00 »
Water, unless you like spitting a lot   :rolleyes:  

I‘ve always used water, an worked fine for me.

Offline Just A Hick

• Rate Post
  • Dirty Monkey
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2004, 13:34:00 »
Spit just makes it cloudy
The Beatings Will CONTINUE Until Morale Increases

Robert

frenzied201freak

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2004, 12:50:00 »
Does anyonw know where to find Miki polish?
I can‘t find it anymore!

Cadet810

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2004, 16:06:00 »
So far I‘ve spent many hours working on my boots.
I am getting a bit of shine. Do I start useing less polish?

Offline Chop

• Rate Post
  • Military
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2004, 17:18:00 »
It is good to let them dry so that the wax gets hard, then keep at it, what shines is the wax not the leather, the more wax you apply as in layers the better the shine.

limejellobob

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2004, 19:54:00 »
Just a minor tip, but don‘t use a ton of polish at once, because it is a waste and sometimes makes it duller. Just a tiny bit works, believe it or not.
Also, don‘t start the polish on fire after it is on the boot. It usually melts through all the layers and you will have to take them down ((I run an iron over it and wipe off the polish repeatedly to take them down)) and start over.
Make sure you drape a Kiwi cloth or something over them when you are now wearing them. It keeps the shine better.

^_~