Author Topic: Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct in the CF  (Read 449669 times)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Sexual Assault & Sexual Misconduct in the CF
« Reply #1200 on: December 02, 2017, 13:01:33 »
This is my point, if you change the culture, do you spoil the recipe that makes these organizations effective war machines?

Reminds me of something I read,

"The military has long known that the soldier's morale is sustained not just by plenty of badges and medals and by ample access to alcohol and, when possible, non-infectious sexual intercourse but by the irrational conviction on the part of each soldier that he has the honor of serving in the best squad in the best platoon in the best company in the best battalion in the best regiment etc. in the army."

Wartime: Understanding and Behavior in the Second World War
By Paul Fussell

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

Online AbdullahD

update status.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Most CF Sex Assaults Are By Senior Soldiers On Subordinates
« Reply #1202 on: November 26, 2019, 04:49:26 »
Ran across this story this morning.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canada-must-pay-up-for-military-sexual-assault-victims/ar-BBXkjXm?ocid=spartanntp

From my biased point of view it makes sense that senior members exploit junior ones. I would think if it was reversed the senior member would have more avenues or confidence in dealing with the situation.

Quite suprising at how much is being paid out to be honest though.

Abdullah

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: Most CF Sex Assaults Are By Senior Soldiers On Subordinates
« Reply #1203 on: November 26, 2019, 15:28:10 »
From my biased point of view it makes sense that senior members exploit junior ones. I would think if it was reversed the senior member would have more avenues or confidence in dealing with the situation.

Quite suprising at how much is being paid out to be honest though.

Abdullah

It's expected that there will be quite a lot of claimants, so the amount isn't that surprising.

I know a couple people who have been involved in the legal action, and they're seeing the bigger victory as ND + VAC policy and procedure changes, including VAC's change to the 'benefit of doubt' policy, which impacts not just Military Sexual Trauma survivors, but all VAC claimants.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1204 on: November 26, 2019, 15:41:26 »
Further information, including claims forms and copies of the final settlement agreement, is available at: https://www.caf-dndsexualmisconductclassaction.ca/

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1205 on: November 27, 2019, 12:38:43 »
It's expected that there will be quite a lot of claimants, so the amount isn't that surprising.

I know a couple people who have been involved in the legal action, and they're seeing the bigger victory as ND + VAC policy and procedure changes, including VAC's change to the 'benefit of doubt' policy, which impacts not just Military Sexual Trauma survivors, but all VAC claimants.

I might PM you on other means... I have questions that you *might* be able to help answer.
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #1206 on: December 04, 2019, 21:47:04 »
In the news,

CTV News
December 4, 2019

Former high-ranking naval officer charged with 7 more cases of sexual assault since 2018 arrest
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/former-high-ranking-naval-officer-charged-with-7-more-cases-of-sexual-assault-since-2018-arrest-1.4715408#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=ifBPpSO

None of the allegations against the retired officer have been proven in court.