Author Topic: Major Paeta Hess-Von Kruedener  (Read 48766 times)

Offline big bad john (John Hill)

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
Re: Major Paeta Hess-Von Kruedener
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2006, 17:59:43 »
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=2020

Media Advisory
Military Memorial Service for Maj. Paeta Hess-von Kruedener
LFCA MA / SCFT AM 06-11 - August 9, 2006

OTTAWA, Ont. — A Military Memorial Service for Maj. Paeta Hess-von Kruedener, an Infantry Officer with the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry who lost his life while serving with the UN Truce Supervision Organisation in the Khiyam area of South Lebanon, will take place at the Princess of Wales’ Own Regiment Armoury, 100 Montreal St., Kingston, Ont. on Thursday, August 10, 2006 at 10 a.m.

As per the request of the family, the news media are invited to attend, though no interviews will be given.

Many dignitaries will be present to pay their respect.

An interment ceremony will take place at the Woodland Cemetery, Spring Garden Road, between Botanical Drive and Valley Inn Road, Burlington, Ont. on Friday August 11, 2006 at 2 p.m.

Offline dradel

• Rate Post
Re: Discussion on Israeli Strategy
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2006, 20:34:02 »
did someone has the address of Major Hess-von Kruedener I would like to participe oh his funeral..please advice..

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2006, 20:36:59 »
dradel I suggest a new thread or the one that has his condolences.
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2006, 21:02:14 »
dradel I suggest a new thread or the one that has his condolences.
I moved it.

dradel, attention to detail next time. All info you seek is available in the post above the one of yours. 
...time to cull the herd.

Offline big bad john (John Hill)

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2006, 22:35:47 »
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060810/memorial_peacekeeper_060810/20060810?hub=Canada

Fallen UN observer honoured in sombre memorial
Updated Thu. Aug. 10 2006 9:01 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The Canadian UN observer killed in Lebanon last month was remembered as a larger-than-life hero who was fiercely loyal to his principles during a sombre military memorial service on Thursday.

Maj. Paeta Hess-von Kruedener was killed along with three other observers after Israeli jets bombarded the town of Khiam, near the eastern end of Lebanon's border, on July 25.

"There is so much that I love about Paeta. And I use the present tense because his spirit and his soul is so fierce and so strong that even if he is longer in his body we know that his spirit is still with us," his grief-stricken sister Tonya Hess said at the Princess of Wales' Own Regiment Armoury in Kingston, Ont. on Thursday.

Hess described her brother as a larger-than-life hero who she believed was invincible.

"Even though I knew the job that he was doing I never would have imagined that he could have died," she said in her tearful eulogy.

She thanked the military "family'' for doing what she referred to as "putting their lives on the line all the time.''

Hess-von Kruedener's daughter Kirsten remembered her father as a gentle soul and a protective parent in a poem that she wrote called "The Tiger."

"I feel that my dad's intensity and spirit has always been embodied by the tiger," she said.

Maj.-Gen. Stuart Beare, the commander of training staff across the country, said the loss of "Wolf'' -- as he was known by his friends -- is a blow to the military family.

"We lost one of our own. We lost a brother,'' Beare said. "Ultimately in our business, his loss affects those of us who continue to serve ... but at the same time, the example he's left us inspires us to carry on.''

Hess-von Kruedener's casket was carried into the armoury by eight uniformed pallbearers, as about 500 people looked on, including his parents Shirlee and Gerry Hess.

At the end of the ceremony, the pallbearers folded the flag that had draped over the fallen UN observer's casket, while a trumpeter played Taps. Once the casket was carried into a waiting limousine, the Hess-von Kruedener received a 21-gun salute.

A member of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry for 20 years, Hess-von Kruedener was the only Canadian serving as a United Nations Military Observer in Lebanon.

The 43-year-old, who had three months remaining on his one-year mission, was stationed at a UN outpost in southern Lebanon, about 10 kilometres from where the Syrian, Lebanese and Israeli borders meet.

The attack sparked accusations Israel had deliberately launched a precision-guided missile at the UN observer post.

Israel has since apologized for the attack and said it was accidental.

The bodies of three soldiers from Austria, China and Finland were found shortly after the blast, but Hess-von Kruedener, a father of two grown children, remained missing until a body was positively identified days later.

In an e-mail written to CTV.ca one week before the bomb hit the UN outpost, Hess-von Kruedener described the battle between Hezbollah and Israeli troops as very high and continuous," with short breaks in between.

"What I can tell you is this: we have on a daily basis had numerous occasions where our position has come under direct or indirect fire from both artillery and aerial bombing," he wrote.

"The closest artillery has landed within 2 metres of our position and the closest 1000 lb aerial bomb has landed 100 metres from our patrol base. This has not been deliberate targeting, but has rather been due to tactical necessity."

On Thursday, his friends remembered him as a good-humoured soldier, and shared jokes and stories about the man they called Wolf.

Capt. Gerhart Hildebrandt, who served with Hess-von Kruedener in Cyprus, was quoted by The Canadian Press as saying his friend always wanted to look cool.

He said one of Hess von-Kruedener's mottoes was to always look good, never get lost and "if you get lost, always look good," he said to laughter.

An interment ceremony will take place at the Woodland Cemetery in Burlington, Ont. on August 11, 2006 at 2 p.m.

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2006, 23:54:12 »
RIP Sir   :salute:

A hard month for the PPCLI family. 

:salute:

Offline retread

• Slightly used ground pounder and sock counter.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2006, 20:55:23 »
I can't believe I had not heard this news before I read it here.  I did my JLC with HVK back in '85.  My condolences to his family.
"Expected levels of performance established by precedent are invariably substandard."

Rommel

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Remembering, five years later
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2011, 17:14:25 »
Monument to remember....
During the summer of 2006, when Israel engaged the Hezbollah faction in Lebanon in a 34-day conflict, the United Nations Patrol Base (PB) in the Lebanese village of El Khiam was struck by a 1,000-pound bomb that killed its occupants. PB KHIAM was the temporary home of a military observer team, called Team Sierra, from the United Nations Truce Supervision Organization (UNTSO) who were assisting the U.N. Interim Force in Lebanon.

As is normal in UNTSO, Team Sierra was a group of four experienced army officers from four different countries: Major Hans-Peter Lang from Styria, Austria, as team leader; Lieutenant Senior Grade Jarno Mäkinen from Kaarina, Finland, as deputy leader; Major Du Zhaoyu from Jinan in the People’s Republic of China; and Major Paeta Derek Hess-von Kruedener — known as Wolf — of Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry in Edmonton, Alberta.

Over 63 years of operations in the most volatile areas in the Middle East, UNTSO has suffered 50 fatal casualties, including 18 U.N. Military Observers (UNMOs).

On 25 July 2011, the fifth anniversary of the attack on Patrol Base KHIAM, the fourth annual memorial service was held in El Khiam, led this year by New Zealand Army Lieutenant-Colonel Helen Cooper, the current chief of Observer Group Lebanon (OGL) ....
CEFCOM Info-Machine, 29 Sept 11

Her Excellency Ms. Hilary Childs-Adams, the Canadian Ambassador to Lebanon pauses in remembrance after laying a wreath at the PB KHIAM site memorial on behalf of Canadians.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline beirnini

• Rate Post
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2018, 00:04:44 »
Details of Major Hess-Von Kruedener's last moments
The first barrage of artillery shells and guided bombs started at 12:11 and right away they all knew something wasn’t right. In the past, incidents of firing close had always been bombs or shells or missiles intended for nearby Hezbollah positions that missed their target. But now, there were no Hezbollah targets within hundreds of metres.

The four peacekeepers sheltered in the underground bunker began furiously radioing for help.

In the early afternoon—from 14:18 to 14:49—there was a second barrage.
[...]
At 18:29 the third wave of the attack hit the patrol base. Twelve 155-mm artillery rounds landed within metres of the base and four landed directly inside the compound, destroying most of the buildings above ground and blowing the door off the underground bunker. At this point General Alain Pellegrini, the man in charge of UN operations in Lebanon, called the Israeli liaison officer and shouted at him, no holds barred, “You are killing my people.”
[...]
[A]t just before 19:30, an Israeli F-16 pilot managed to do what so many other pilots and gunners failed to do that day—he dropped his 1,000-pound GPS-guided JDAM inside the compound, inside the blown-off door of the stout little underground bunker.

Canada's PM and Conservative Party leader at the time, Stephen Harper, responded
"We want to find out why this United Nations post was attacked and also why it remained manned during what is now, more or less, a war during obvious danger to these individuals,"

The DND's inquiry can be found here. Oddly it "was published [but] was subsequently removed from government websites for “security reasons.”" (Obtaining an official copy as of Jan 2013 requires a freedom of information request, which might be responded with a letter claiming it can't "be released within the legally-allotted time".)

The board report does seize upon the one huge question that remains—the attack on Patrol Base Khiam lasted nearly seven hours and during that time the Israelis received a blizzard of calls and protests all up and down the liaison network
[...]
“While the IDF has acknowledged the receipt of the protests from the UN, it has failed to explain why the attack was not halted,” the board writes. “Considering that on previous occasions the IDF had halted fires when protests were received, no indication has been offered as to why protests of this nature and severity did not result in the halting of fires. The ability of the IDF to halt fires on previous occasions, combined with the functioning on the UN side of the liaison network, and the ability of the IDF side of the liaison network to contact the implicated headquarters indicates there was sufficient time for appropriate information to have been transmitted to the appropriate IDF decision maker in order to halt fires on PB Khiam."