Author Topic: VIRUS in YAHOO Tool Bar  (Read 4280 times)

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
VIRUS in YAHOO Tool Bar
« on: July 29, 2006, 11:40:08 »
Well I have just burned off 48 hours and pulled out many hairs that I can't afford to pull out; all over a Virus. 

PROBLEM:

Internet Explore Opens and then closes immediately. 

All use of any program that uses IE is no longer possible.

SOLUTION:

Go into your Control Panel

Add/Remove Programs

Remove Yahoo Tool Bar

After two days of Running three different Anti-virus Programs and nothing detected, reinstalling IE, and Network Assistant, to no avail, I phoned Bell's 310 Surf and got this advice.  Now I have IE up and running again and I can get my Army.ca fix.   ;D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: VIRUS in YAHOO Tool Bar
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 11:42:47 »
Of course, if you are having this problem than you probably won't be able to read this.   ;D

I loaded up Mozilla Firefox on Thursday night to get onto the site, but it slowed my computer down to a crawl and maxed out my 512 Gig of RAM causing it to hang up for long seconds.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline karl28

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 15:29:32 »
George Wallace  hi there I heard a coworker talking about this at work I believe he had a web site to go to take care of the problem I can ask him tonight when I go into work

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 15:42:58 »
Any tips will help.....but you may have noticed, I have rectified my problem and hopefully any solutions we can find will help others to fix theirs.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 15:46:58 by George Wallace »

couchcommander

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 15:46:36 »
We've had a bunch of these in the last little while.

We think it has something to do with a recent microsoft update.

Supposedly, the newest toolbar is supposed to fix the problem. Uninstalling is usually the route we go anywho, we don't like it on our systems.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 15:49:26 by couchcommander »

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 15:51:29 »
I tried four different Anti-Virus programs and then used various other methods and it was undetectable.  Uninstalling Yahoo Tool bar was the only solution.

Now my McAffee is doing a major upgrade, and it is saying that my AdAware, AVG, and all kinds of other programs are incompatible with their new versions......great way to sell more of their products or drive away customers.......bastards.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5920.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 15:57:28 »
Had the same thing on my wife's computer, showing an illegal operation being performed. Ran a history check and saw that stupid Yahoo tool bar as being installed at the beginning of the problem. Uninstalled it and voila, no more problem. Piece of useless, memory clogging eye candy anyway.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

couchcommander

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 16:17:25 »
Piece of useless, memory clogging eye candy anyway.

Indeed. Also, same as 90% of the software you get on a modern out of box machine.

HP's are particularly bad. Their new media center Pentium D 930's with a gazillion gigabytes (technical term ;)) of DDR2 ram run slower with the shite they have installed on them than some of the old Pentium 3 1ghz's we have around. The DDR2 is overrated I might add unless you're installing 5300 or 6400... most machines come with 4200 where read/write is actually slower than the old DDR 3200. A tweaked, low CAS stick of 3200 will still beat anything out there.

If you find yourself in the unfortunate position of owning one of these machines, uninstall anything you don't need, and switch to less resource intensive anti-virus than Norton (McAfee is better, but still not great).

Most importantly, if you are capable, go through your startup and remove all the superfluous HP stuff. You'll all of a sudden find your machine running like you thought it should - not to mention having less errors (the HP digital imaging daemon is particularly bad for that, conflicts between it and media center caused an entire line of machines to be unusable in their media centre role until it was removed or upgraded... you can guess which route we took).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 16:22:22 by couchcommander »

Offline karl28

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 02:40:09 »
George Wallace  I got this from a friend at work says its a great site for virus scans hope that it helps http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/home.htm

Offline snowy

• soldiers
  • Rate Post
  • hello everyone:)
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 04:23:26 »
Hi,
Fix-it utilities Professional 6 Vcom is a good package for viruses as well, you can get it at staples or london drugs.

cheers

snowy
keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 08:37:44 »
George Wallace  I got this from a friend at work says its a great site for virus scans hope that it helps http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/home.htm

As a matter of fact, that is what Bell Sympatico technicians sent me to originally, and it didn't detect the problem.  It was a couple of days later that another Tech recommended the deleting of Yahoo Toolbar.  Still was a bit of help, just not enough for this virus.  I would recommend bookmarking that site though.

Offline Wolfmann

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 08:54:55 »
Generally you should not run any toolbars in IE, no matter how helpful, unless you absolutely need them. They are programs that run within the IE context, and IE is heavily integrated into Windows. So if the toolbar can be exploited...hmmmm...so can IE and by proxy Windows.

Also consider using Opera 9 (www.opera.com) or Firefox (www.firefox.com), though you can still continue to use IE without many issues - but just don't become an Add-in or Toolbar junky.

Offline karl28

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 11:50:21 »
George Wallace sorry to here that didn't work for you just wasn't sure if you had tried that one but yeah I booked marked that one for sure have a good one

Offline MikeH

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 12:21:36 »
Spyware Dr might help you excellant program. If you do get it fix and I hope you do cause I know what its like to be frustrated from computer problems.Use firefox and never use IE again, less prone to virus attacks with firefox.
Vegetarian.. ancient word for poor hunter....My grandfather was on JUNO beach to helped crush the Nazi's. Now it's my turn to help crush Terrorism.