Author Topic: Cell phone family plans across canada  (Read 31535 times)

Offline Lil_T

• Make the DRMIS go away....
  • Rate Post
  • Non-compliance will be met with brute force.
Re: Cell Service Providers across Canada
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 13:45:10 »
I've actually had all 4 providers at one point or another over the last 10 years.

Aliant - never had a problem, dropped call, but I used to work for them so I had people on the inside taking care of me.  Others weren't that lucky during/ after the strike.

Rogers - living in Nova Scotia using a rogers cell phone is a mega pain in the arse.  You leave Halifax and it's a dead zone until you get to Truro.  And again in certain parts of Cape Breton, heading from Sydney to New Waterford the stretch of highway by the prison - no service until you hit Gardiner Mines. Even now, there's no service out here in Rockland, once you pass Canaan road the signal disappears.  Crappy crappy crappy.  Will never have a rogers phone again.

Telus - great rates, again, no service problems since in the areas where they are lacking in towers they run off Bell's or Aliant's towers (or companies running CDMA phones)

Bell - rates aren't fantastic, but I don't expect much from a company that was the only game in town for the longest time.  I use Bell now, and have all my stuff bundled with them.  Mostly because Rogers cable doesn't even come out as far as Rockland and I wasn't paying extra for the Anglo channels with Videotron.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 13:48:23 »
In 2004 when I was on tasking to the Inf School, one of my Cpls found it cheaper to pay Rogers the $200 penalty to break his contract than to keep their service.  He got a fantastic deal with Aliant and was very happy with their service.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 14:39:35 »
George, that's exactly what I did with Rogers when I left them for Telus.

Lil T, Bell and Aliant = Same, AFAIK.

And since Telus and Bell/Aliant have pretty much mirror coverage in eastern Canada with the piggybacking it all comes down to what exactly you want from your plan. For instance, those that wish to combine home, internet and cell services in NS may wish to go with Aliant. I use my one phone for everything and have cable internet at scandalously low prices so I am happy but others may be sort of locked towards another option.

I suppose hardware options also factor into things. For smartphones Telus seems to only offer about 5-6 choices, not sure about the others.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 15:25:44 »
I use Virgin, $35 a month (no 911 fee, no system access fee)..  No complaints at all.

Offline JBoyd

• Attending CFLRS, Currently back in B.C. for the holiday break
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2009, 15:51:33 »
Jboyd, jailbreaking an iphone does not permit you to tether to any wifi, that ability is inherent in the phone.  What jailbreaking will do howveer is allow you to "unlock" your phone ie. make it able to use other cell phone companies' SIM cards.  It can then be used internationally.

Jailbreaking will also allow you to record video (cycorder app), do landscape texting and even cut and paste!!

I did a hardware upgrade to get an iPhone, I have a 6GB (tons!) data plan and I pay $65 a month.  I won't list my whole plan but I am very well taken care of.  And when I am not, I call customer service, scream "cancel" at the electronic voice thingy and then talk with a RETENTIONS rep.  I usually leave with a new perk on my phone.

I admit, Rogers has had (many!) billing issues since I have been with them but most of the time one call is all you need to sort them out.

Cheers.

My bad, the way I understood it is that Rogers locked the ability to tether to wifi for internet usage.

Another thing Rogers does is scale their rates per province. You can get a family plan with my5 Canada wide for roughly $70/month in BC, whereas the same plan in Nova Scotia is $55 and has more perks. Not sure if Telus also does that with their plans.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." -- Henry Ford

Live your life in such a way, that when you wake up and your feet hit the floor, the Devil says "S*** It's awake!"

Nill illigitimi carborundum

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 15:54:11 »
I can only state that I have a plan brochure right in front of me for Telus and it states that it is for Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Atlantic Canada. IIRC, when I moved back to the east coast and changed my plan it did get a tad cheaper and had different perks/drawbacks compared to what I had in Alberta. It's been a while though.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Lil_T

• Make the DRMIS go away....
  • Rate Post
  • Non-compliance will be met with brute force.
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 18:29:43 »
George, that's exactly what I did with Rogers when I left them for Telus.

Lil T, Bell and Aliant = Same, AFAIK.

And since Telus and Bell/Aliant have pretty much mirror coverage in eastern Canada with the piggybacking it all comes down to what exactly you want from your plan. For instance, those that wish to combine home, internet and cell services in NS may wish to go with Aliant. I use my one phone for everything and have cable internet at scandalously low prices so I am happy but others may be sort of locked towards another option.

I suppose hardware options also factor into things. For smartphones Telus seems to only offer about 5-6 choices, not sure about the others.

They're the exact same thing now, since the buy out.  I was referring to the pre Bell-Aliant days (even going back as far as MT&T)

the biggest thing that sucks about Aliant and Bell or Bell-Aliant is that there is no cap on the cancellation fee - it's $20 per remaining month in the contract.  SUCKS ***!
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 19:21:01 »
I know Telus has the same thing WRT the cap on cancellation charges. IIRC, Rogers gave me a break on mine, I know I did not fork over the entire 200 bucks - or maybe I screwed them for a change? >:D
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Guy Incognito

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 22:43:40 »
I know Telus has the same thing WRT the cap on cancellation charges.

Actually, they don't. Telus is the only of the service providers that does not cap ECF. They made this quite clear to me before I signed, though. If you think you're gonig to jump ship for any reason, you might want sign a short contract, go month to month, or pick a different provider.

According to my contract, the ECF is $20*(number of months left in contract), or $100, whichever is more. Thus, canceling my current contract with 18 mo.s left would cost me a nice $360. Canceling a full 3-year contract will put you back a hefty $720

(Source: https://secure.telusmobility.com/selfserve/common/PCS_Retail_agreement.pdf)

Offline JBoyd

• Attending CFLRS, Currently back in B.C. for the holiday break
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 23:19:16 »
Actually, they don't. Telus is the only of the service providers that does not cap ECF. They made this quite clear to me before I signed, though. If you think you're gonig to jump ship for any reason, you might want sign a short contract, go month to month, or pick a different provider.

According to my contract, the ECF is $20*(number of months left in contract), or $100, whichever is more. Thus, canceling my current contract with 18 mo.s left would cost me a nice $360. Canceling a full 3-year contract will put you back a hefty $720

(Source: https://secure.telusmobility.com/selfserve/common/PCS_Retail_agreement.pdf)

I believe that Scott was responding to Lil_T's in which she mentioned that Bell/Aliant has no cap on ECF. He was saying that Telus has the same policy, not that they cap the ECF
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein
"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." -- Henry Ford

Live your life in such a way, that when you wake up and your feet hit the floor, the Devil says "S*** It's awake!"

Nill illigitimi carborundum

Offline Scott

• Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2009, 08:02:06 »
I wasn't clear enough...but yes, I was trying to get across that Telus and Aliant have the same policies WRT cancellation.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline gcclarke

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2009, 19:36:09 »
All of these cell phone comparisons seem to be suited for those who use their phones a lot. For those of us who only talk on their phone a few minutes per week, a pay as you go plan is likely best. When I was posted to Ottawa, I had realized that I was over-paying on my Roger's phone by a great deal, and needed to either downgrade contracts substantially, or move somewhere else entirely. So, I did some digging on google to try and find reviews of the best pay as you go plans in the country. Eventually, I stumbled across a site that pointed me in the direction of 7-11's Speak Out Wireless service.

Pros:
Calls cost 20 cents per minute*
Service Piggy-backs on the Rogers network, so coverage is pretty much everywhere you need it to be in Canada
Free voice mail
Free Caller-display
Free call-waiting
No system access fee
Canadian and US Long distance and in-Canada roaming at 36 cents per minute*
Send and receive texts for 4 cents
Phones are unlockable, so you can swap the SIM card in and out (Useful when traveling)
Money added to the account lasts 365 days, regardless of the amount of money added. Many other pay as you go plans only have money last this long if you top up with the maximum amount. Adding any amount of money to the account makes all the money on the account refreshed till a year afterwards. Thus, with a very small amount of usage, the minimum required to keep the account would be $2.08 per month.

* If you refill the phone with either a $75 or $100 voucher.

Cons:

No roaming outside of Canada
You need to physically go to a 7-11 location to top up your account. Some parts of the country (Such as Nova Scotia) do not have 7-11 locations. If you wish to get your account topped up, you'd have to get a friend or family member living elsewhere to purchase the top-up and then tell you the code to be entered.

The phones currently available with Speak out wireless are the Nokia 1661, 1208, 2760, and the 1680.

For more information, the official site is at http://speakout7eleven.ca/ and a much more useful Unofficial FAQ is at http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
- Calvin Coolidge

Offline macknightcr

• Ring Knocker as of Dec 2013
  • Rate Post
Cell Service in Canada
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 23:05:49 »
I am moving back to Canada in July and will be attending CMR for the next year.  I have not lived in Canada for a number of years and will be in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC, for one year Kingston, ON, for the three after that and hopefully will end up in Edmonton.  What cell provider is looked at as the best in Canda for these regions?  I have an iPhone and would like to keep it, so the provider would have to be iPhone compatible. 

Offline Alea

• Rate Post
  • Alea Jacta Est
Re: Cell Service in Canada
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2010, 00:15:57 »
I am moving back to Canada in July and will be attending CMR for the next year.  I have not lived in Canada for a number of years and will be in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC, for one year Kingston, ON, for the three after that and hopefully will end up in Edmonton.  What cell provider is looked at as the best in Canda for these regions?  I have an iPhone and would like to keep it, so the provider would have to be iPhone compatible.

Hello,

Welcome back to Canada!

Here's a thread that could be of some help, if that's not the case, I suggest you google your question.
NOW MERGED WITH THIS THREAD.
Bruce

Enjoy the reading ;)
Alea

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 13:40:12 by Bruce Monkhouse »
"When the student is ready, the teacher will appear" Buddhist proverb

Offline Guy Incognito

• Rate Post
Re: Cell Service in Canada
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2010, 14:48:33 »

If it's the old iPhone 2G, you're stuck with either Rogers or Fido.

If it's a 3G or 3GS, you can use Rogers, Fido, Bell, or Telus.

Rogers and Fido are OK in terms of coverage, but I've heard nightmares about getting customer service out of them. They have a 2G network to fall-back on.

Bell and Telus (in particular) have good customer service, but your iPhone will not have a 2G network to fall back on. 3G or nothing. That said, their 3G coverage is usually good in urban areas.

Frankly, it's a toss-up between the 4. There's little competition between them, and to have voice and data is expensive.

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2010, 15:12:32 »
Of course, you will have to unlock your iPhone though if it has been upgraded to 3.1.3 you're out of luck.

That being said.  They are looking at June (rumour mill) for the release of the iPhone 4G after the whole fiasco with the lost/recovered phone and Gizmodo. You might want to wait until then.
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline momof2

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2010, 20:58:36 »
BELL sucks

Offline CallOfDuty

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2010, 21:50:43 »
  I am extremely happy with Virgin mobile......
"I bought a box of animal crackers and it said do not eat if seal is broken.  I opened it, and sure enough...................."

Offline macknightcr

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2010, 10:07:25 »
Of course, you will have to unlock your iPhone though if it has been upgraded to 3.1.3 you're out of luck.

Why is it that I would have to unlock my phone?  I have updated my phone with the most current firmware, I don't understand why that is a problem?

Offline Guy Incognito

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2010, 11:46:38 »
He means SIM unlock: Phones sold by a carrier tend to be "locked" to that carrier - putting in a SIM card from another carrier won't work. You need to get it unlocked so that you can use other carriers. SIM unlocking tends to cost about $20.

iPhone OS 3.1.3 kills SIM unlocks. I hope you can downgrade to 3.1.2, else you're going to need a new phone in Canada.

Offline macknightcr

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2010, 22:12:13 »
Well that is not what I wanted to hear.  I think I will keep my phone as an iPod while in school and get a pay as you go phone, because I don't expect having too much time to talk on the phone.  Then why I graduate and recieve my first posting I will then re address this problem. 

Thank you for all the help. 

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2010, 07:59:15 »
Macknight - it is easily done with software once you get to town.  jailbreak, then downgrade the baseband then unlock.  I am in the process of doing it right now.
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline macknightcr

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2010, 14:25:53 »
I don't want to jailbreak it because if something goes wrong Apple will not fix it.  Atleast they won't here in the U.S. will they in Canada?  Then I will be forced to buy a new phone any how.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2010, 17:19:29 »
I was under the impression that resetting to defaults after a jailbreak removed all evidence that it had been done...

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2010, 08:46:03 »
Occam, you are correct.  If you are looking to get any work done on a jailbroken phone, simply "restore" it to factory default (after doing a backup) and send it in.  You'll be safe.

As for unlocking, it seems that once jailbroken (even to 3.1.3) you can use a program called "fuzzyband" to rollback to be able to unlock.  I tried it and it crashed my phone causing me to have to restore and re-jailbreak yesterday.  I have not tried it again as for right now, I have no need to but it may very well be something that can be done.
Adsum