Author Topic: Hong Kong- Merged  (Read 19017 times)

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
Re: PM Trudeau visits Commonwealth war cemetery in Hong Kong
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2016, 12:15:35 »
True but in fairness I think the credit should really go to the advisors (mandarins?) you mentioned in the past.  I find the PM seems to space out when someone asks him unrehearsed questions. But yes, haters gonna hate  ;D
  A good manager/leader is one who is not afraid to rely upon the advise of others.  Trudeau will end up as a good leader if he learns to surround himself with independent thinkers and listens to them instead of or along with the cadre of 'old boys' that the party has foisted upon him.  (and no, I did not vote for his party's candidate in my riding)

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: PM Trudeau visits Commonwealth war cemetery in Hong Kong
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2016, 12:36:20 »

Many people are, but not everything the prime minister says or does is, automatically, wrong just because he was your or my choice ... he has done, is doing and will do some smart, helpful, useful and "good" things for Canada, too.

missed them as I am still waiting for him to do some.  maybe all the photo-ops made me blind.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Via the Info-machine:
The Honourable Kent Hehr, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Associate Minister of National Defence, issued the following statement to mark the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Hong Kong:

“Tomorrow marks the 75th anniversary of the beginning of the Battle of Hong Kong, an important and solemn chapter in Canada’s long military history. On this day, we take time to honour and remember the brave Canadian heroes who fought to protect the people of Hong Kong and suffered extreme hardships both during and after the battle.

“In late October 1941, Canadian soldiers traveled from Vancouver to Hong Kong to aid in the defence of the vulnerable British colony. On December 8, 1941, the Japanese attacked and our soldiers there would become the first Canadian Army unit to see heavy action in the Second World War. Over the course of more than 17 days, these men, mostly members of the Winnipeg Grenadiers and the Royal Rifles of Canada, would represent Canada on the world stage in defence of the area.

“Against overwhelming odds, the brave Canadians in Hong Kong fought on. Although many of our soldiers were very inexperienced, they defended Hong Kong with great strength until they were finally forced to surrender on Christmas Day. What followed for the survivors were close to four years in harsh Japanese prisoner of war camps before finally being liberated when the Second World War ended in 1945.

“The fighting in Hong Kong took a heavy toll: some 290 of our men were killed and almost 500 more were wounded defending the colony. More than 260 additional Canadian soldiers would later die in the brutal Japanese camps. In 2011, in a gesture of reconciliation, the Japanese government issued a formal apology to Canada’s Veterans for their mistreatment of prisoners during the Second World War.

“We will never forget the brave Canadians who fought in the Battle of Hong Kong. The legacy of those who did not return home lives on in our memories. The members of the Winnipeg Grenadiers and the Royal Rifles of Canada, and our other soldiers who served in Hong Kong represent the very best of our country; not only did they fight to defend the peace and freedom of another nation, but they also fought for the sake of future generations.

“Lest we forget.”

– 30 –
:salute:
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
Re: Hong Kong- Merged
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2016, 12:15:38 »
The start of a major NY Times article on the Canadians at Hong Kong, 1941:

A Doomed Battle for Hong Kong, With Only Medals Left 75 Years Later

BARRIE, Ontario — John Lawson has only a few tokens to remember his father by: military medals, a couple of dog tags and a silver ID bracelet that encircled his father’s wrist as bullets did their work in Hong Kong one terrible winter day 75 years ago this week.

There was a little pocket diary once, too, but that was lost in a fire. Mr. Lawson remembers two of the last words that his father wrote, summing up the situation before the ordeal that led to his death: “Quite impossible.”

Remembrances of war are worth noting not just for the lives lost but for the bad decisions that led inexorably to the waste of those lives. Mr. Lawson need not have grown up without a father, but misinformation, poor planning and simple incompetence left him with little more than a pocketful of ornaments instead of a man.

Brig. John K. Lawson, Mr. Lawson’s father, was the highest-ranking Canadian soldier killed in action during World War II. He was cut down by machine-gun fire in the doomed defense of Hong Kong, a largely forgotten battle that claimed the lives of nearly 3,000 soldiers, 290 of them Canadian.

The debate over what went wrong raged in the aftermath of the war but has long since grown cold. These days, the sacrifice and courage of those who died are remembered more than the senselessness of their deaths. But historians have long acknowledged that it was a mistake to send untested Canadian boys to defend an indefensible island...
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/23/world/canada/a-doomed-battle-for-hong-kong-with-only-medals-left-75-years-later.html?emc=edit_th_20161224&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=19349345&_r=0

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline Chispa

• Rate Post
Re: Hong Kong- Merged
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2016, 12:26:05 »
Source: DHH 2 H.Q., “unofficial” Report No. 52.,  31st., May 1952: On all occasions when Canadian forces operated detached during the Second World War, their commanders were provided With special directives defining their relationship to the British or Allied forces With and under Which they were acting. They were normally accorded the right of reference . (i.e., of appeal) to the Canadian Government in extreme cases.

Commanders placed under United Kingdom higher command were advised that they were acting within the framework of the Visiting Forces Act. They were informed that they had authority to remove their forces from "in combination  with the British forces under the terms of that Act - that is, to take them from under British operational commend - but that this should not be done except in extreme cases. For example,

Parts of the directive issued to The Canadian Brigade Commander sent to Hong Kong in 1941 as fallows:

5. While the designation referred to in paragraph 3 of these instructions allows you discretion, you will not take the forces under your command out of combination with the British Forces serving in Hong Kong other than in circumstances that you judge to be of compelling necessity, in which case you are to seek further instructions from Canada.
6. In the fulfillment of )'our mission, you will bear in mind that all matters concerning Military operations will be dealt with by you through the General Officer Commanding Hong Kong, whose powers in these respects in relation to the Force under your command are exercisable within the limitations laid down in the Visiting Forces Act (Canada) •.••
8. You will keep constantly in mind the fact that you are responsible to the Canadian Government for the Force under your command. In consequence your channel of authority end communication on all questions (except those concerning military operations referred to in paragraph 6 of these instructions) including matters of general policy as well as of• transfers , exchanges, recalls and reinforcements, will be direct to National Defence Headquarters, (HQS 20-1-20, 20 Oct 41).

Privy Council Office: Report on the Canadian Expeditionary Force to the Crown colony of Hong Kong. 1942, 61 p. http://publications.gc.ca/site/eng/472900/publication.html

Hong Kong Inquiry: Abstract Editor’s note: This document, dated 1 March 1942, is Stuart’s brief to the Royal Commission which examined the Hong Kong operation—Sir Lyman Duff, “Report on the Canadian Expeditionary Force to the Crown Colony of Hong Kong” (Ottawa, 1942), commonly referred to as the “Duff Report.”

Recommended Citation: Stuart, Kenneth (2001) "Hong Kong Inquiry," Canadian Military History: Vol. 10 : Iss. 4 , Article 6. Available at: http://scholars.wlu.ca/cmh/vol10/iss4/6

C.U.
History is not like playing horseshoes where close enough counts; those that have done the proper legwork have a responsibility to insure a detailed accurate account. Canada at War Blog  http://wp.me/55eja