Author Topic: Thank you to a stranger  (Read 9404 times)

17thRecceSgt

Thank you to a stranger
« on: August 15, 2006, 14:14:09 »
Well, after HLs swearing-in today at CFRC Halifax, we went out to a local restaurant for dinner.  Steak and Stein is the place HLs decided to go to.

After steamed mussels, steak, salad and the fixin's, our waitress came up to ask if there was anything else, and when we said that would be all, the waitress then informed us that someone had picked up our cheque for us, as they had noticed that I was in uniform, and they wanted to say thanks for "doing what it is we do" and had paid for our meals and left anonymously.

I was a bit surprised by the act of kindness, I have read about things such as this, like when HoM and Sig Des had something similar happen recently.

To the stranger who paid us this honour on behalf of all our members in uniform, please accept my humble thanks.  You have done more for my morale with your kindness than you will ever realize.

In my mind, HLs and I accepted the gift on behalf of all members of the CF, who are puttin' it on the line everyday to make this country as great as it is.

:salute:

Mud

Offline yammit

• Rate Post
  • Carpe phalange - pull my finger.
Re: Thank you to a stranger
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 14:42:38 »
A few months ago, the FT staff at the Sgt Hugh Cairns VC Armoury in Saskatoon went to Boston Pizza on 51st Street for lunch.  A table of gentlemen did the same thing.  They were still in the restaurant and we thanked them.  Then, the CClk, N Sask R called in to a local radio show to thank them.  The next morning, he was a featured interview during the morning show.

I've received many "off the cuff" discounts, and have been the recipient of a few free meals by well-wishers while I was in uniform.  Whenever possible I thank the person(s) who showed such generosity. 

To all I have missed:

It is an honour to serve, no thanks is necessary, but THANK YOU for your appreciation and generosity.

tlm.
It's been said that God is a comedian, playing for an audience that is too scared to laugh.

Offline Trinity

is updating his status. .

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 14:45:37 »
It's sad that we need a war to recognize our soldiers

In 97 in Winnipeg I couldn't go anywhere without having a meal paid for me.  And I was
there for months.  That's a lot of meals.   Of course that was the Red River flood for
those who remember it  OP Assistance.. or as it was previously known as  Operation Noah,
but apparently that wasn't politicaly correct.  I still think OP Noah is funny and whats my trade again?!

sigh
Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 14:46:19 »
Well, after HLs swearing-in today at CFRC Halifax, we went out to a local restaurant for dinner.  Steak and Stein is the place HLs decided to go to.
Mud

Yah Know......that HL is pretty smart after all. She knew you would spring for a celebration dinner afterwards (can't count on the good people to cover it) and NOW she drops you off at the airport luggage turnstile?  ;D
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 14:48:52 »
Op Assistance was a pretty interesting time.  Lots of goodwill there, people dropping food and goodies off for the troops.  Best part of it was, if it weren't for the thousands of civi's showing up to help, the military wouldn't have been able to do so well.

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 14:49:33 »
Gap,

Being that this kind stranger picked up the cheque, I am now attempting to do my part again by taking her out to supper...

THEN she drops me off at the airport like so much trash   ;D

But thats not until a week from Saturday.  She must still need me to lift something or pump diesel during the road move.  

:rofl:

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 14:54:44 »
 She must still need me to lift something or pump diesel during the road move.  

Work hard!!!  maybe she'll change her mind  ;D
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

TMM

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 15:35:04 »
MRM, why not get her a bracelet or little trophy with her swearing in date? Lasts longer than dinner!

Offline big bad john (John Hill)

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 15:36:45 »
MRM, why not get her a bracelet or little trophy with her swearing in date? Lasts longer than dinner!
Good idea.  Sweet Heart locket with the Cap Badge or something.  Hey, you could even propose.  ( I think I'm getting into deep water here)

Offline airmich

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 15:39:11 »
Na, keep the ideas coming BBJ.  Those are great rumours to get started on a site that they both are members of.... ;D
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

TMM

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 15:48:42 »
BBJ, I'll have a new appreciation for the RM is you can dig your way out of this trench ;D

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 15:50:47 »
Drinks anyone?

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 10:09:52 »
Well nachoes, Corona, and Pasta New Orleans was the theme last night.

Propose?  HLs already has that ring on her finger... ;D

And will pawn it as soon as she drops me at the airport!  Can you say "beer $$!"

Offline Black Watch

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 10:28:28 »

After steamed mussels, steak, salad and the fixin's, our waitress came up to ask if there was anything else, and when we said that would be all, the waitress then informed us that someone had picked up our cheque for us, as they had noticed that I was in uniform, and they wanted to say thanks for "doing what it is we do" and had paid for our meals and left anonymously.

I was a bit surprised by the act of kindness, I have read about things such as this, like when HoM and Sig Des had something similar happen recently.

To the stranger who paid us this honour on behalf of all our members in uniform, please accept my humble thanks.  You have done more for my morale with your kindness than you will ever realize.

In my mind, HLs and I accepted the gift on behalf of all members of the CF, who are puttin' it on the line everyday to make this country as great as it is.

:salute:

Mud
that is a bizzare, yet touching story

Offline Springroll

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 11:29:04 »
Well nachoes, Corona, and Pasta New Orleans was the theme last night.

Propose?  HLs already has that ring on her finger... ;D

And will pawn it as soon as she drops me at the airport!  Can you say "beer $$!"

She could get a pretty decent amount of beer $$ for that ring...nice choice!
Now you just have to talk my husband into getting me a nice big rock for graduation... ;D
"Take every day with a grain of salt. This works much better if the salt accompanies a Margarita"

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 11:54:51 »
She could get a pretty decent amount of beer $$ for that ring...nice choice!
Now you just have to talk my husband into getting me a nice big rock for graduation... ;D

Don't encourage her!  shesssh!   ;D

Offline therev

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 20:15:31 »
Okay so you proposed.  Good man.  Like BBJ I will put my neck out, briefly.  There are three padres who would most likely love to do a wedding.  Maybe that will be the after finishing the course present?   ;D

Offline Trinity

is updating his status. .

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 20:36:40 »
Okay so you proposed.  Good man.  Like BBJ I will put my neck out, briefly.  There are three padres who would most likely love to do a wedding.  Maybe that will be the after finishing the course present?   ;D

Army.ca

presents

LETS GET READY TO HUMBLE.................

The padre's duke it out chaplain style to see who gets to marry the happy couple.

Events to include are
- evangelism
- exorcisms
- miracles - water into wine, walking on water,
- proselytizing 
- the longest sermon ever (on one breath)
- swim suit competition
- praying under fire

Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.

Offline krustyrl

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 20:42:44 »
[A few months ago, the FT staff at the Sgt Hugh Cairns VC Armoury in Saskatoon went to Boston Pizza on 51st Street for lunch.  A table of gentlemen did the same thing.  They were still in the restaurant and we thanked them.  Then, the CClk, N Sask R called in to a local radio show to thank them.  The next morning, he was a featured interview during the morning show.

I've received many "off the cuff" discounts, and have been the recipient of a few free meals by well-wishers while I was in uniform.  Whenever possible I thank the person(s) who showed such generosity. 

To all I have missed:

It is an honour to serve, no thanks is necessary, but THANK YOU for your appreciation and generosity.

tlm./quote]

To those who were there...was Dan S.  there too..? We go back to the mid 90's in M.J.

Offline CdnArtyWife

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 22:04:36 »
Army.ca

presents

The padre's duke it out chaplain style to see who gets to marry the happy couple.

Events to include are
- evangelism
- exorcisms
- proselytizing 
- swim suit competition
- praying under fire

:argument:
:rofl: OOOOH, I'll pay to see that!! :rofl:
"For do not forget the soldiers that make up this military are solidly built characters hand hewn from everyday Canadian values: grace, integrity, physical and moral courage, and loyalty." ~ Maj Scott Lang

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 23:28:50 »
Getting back to the original theme. Since I have gotten my Veterans plates, I have been thanked many times in parking lots and at red lights.

Makes an old soldier feel good.
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 08:43:27 »
Army.ca

presents

Events to include are
- evangelism
- exorcisms
- proselytizing 
- swim suit competition
- praying under fire

MUWHAHAHAHAHA!

Okay now THAT cracked me up!

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 08:45:04 »

I think the plan, at this time, is for BOTP to be the priority...but after that   ;D

And by then hopefully I will be complete my CT and in Kingston too for POET...

Offline therev

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 19:25:30 »
I think the plan, at this time, is for BOTP to be the priority...but after that   ;D

And by then hopefully I will be complete my CT and in Kingston too for POET...

MRM - Well thanks for sharing the plan.  I wasn't fishing for your agenda, really! Just putting it out there as food for thought, like any good sermon does.  In the meantime I will be working on my rumble, oops I mean my humble plan. 

Trinity, I can take you, boy!  If anyone has any tips on water walking I will take those now please. :)  Bathing suit competition, is that not a bit outdated?  I guess I better do more sit ups. 8)

But back to the thread, those people that show those little kindnesses - a thanks, picking up your tab, etc may for some CF members/ people go a lot further in touching the heart than any ribbon or medal.

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 19:33:21 »
I just saw her photo and after listening to her here it removes ALL doubts.  If you don't marry her something is definitely wrong with you lad.  You should be given a psych exam for your CT.  I understand waiting, but don't let this one get away!

Just my humble opinion and advice.  You know me, I'm very quiet and never state my opinion loudly. lol

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 19:39:36 »
what you got in Wpg I got in Mtl during the Ice storm & after Oka.
Drinks. dinner, a wee kiss from young & old ladies..... It's good to be _______!

Chimo!

TMM

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 20:28:49 »
Trinity, I can take you, boy!  If anyone has any tips on water walking I will take those now please. :)

You need to walk on the heavy water :D

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 23:11:29 »
I just saw her photo and after listening to her here it removes ALL doubts.  If you don't marry her something is definitely wrong with you lad.  You should be given a psych exam for your CT.  I understand waiting, but don't let this one get away!

Just my humble opinion and advice.  You know me, I'm very quiet and never state my opinion loudly. lol

But of course!  LMAO

Well, if after BOTP she still wants a lowly Cmbt Arms Sgt, soon to be Air Force Cpl...

;D

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006, 23:16:31 »
But of course!  LMAO

Well, if after BOTP she still wants a lowly Cmbt Arms Sgt, soon to be Air Force Cpl...

;D

I know, going Airforce is a step down, but I think that she just might have it in her heart to accept you for the man you are, even in Air Force blue.  You should have stayed in the Army but...LMAO

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2006, 23:20:07 »
I know, going Airforce is a step down, but I think that she just might have it in her heart to accept you for the man you are, even in Air Force blue.  You should have stayed in the Army but...LMAO

You are only adding to my thougths to call the CFRC and ask them to change my CT to Armoured.

But, I think George and Recce By Death would make QUICK calls to the Career Manager to block that move!

;D

Hey, wait....are you saying I am less of a man (cough cough) in Blues? 

:pushup: :pushup: :pushup:

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I am a poser
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2006, 23:22:08 »
What do I know, I was a Marine.

17thRecceSgt

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2006, 02:41:25 »
What do I know, I was a Marine.

Lots BBJ...lots.   :salute:

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2006, 07:17:41 »
Little do the young kids know that Armd Recce is the closest they can get to being James Bond in the CF that they can.......not any of those other Trades....  ;D

8)
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2006, 08:11:51 »
Hmmmm...three padres to choose from...couldn't I just have all three if I wanted  ;D  Although...the competition would be fun to watch  :D

I have had my ring for three years... ::)  So a new one after graduation would be nice  ;D Keep the ideas coming everyone ;)

My service to the military is my focus at present  :salute:

And I think I have many,many new family members to meet  :cdn:

HL

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."~ Gen. Hillier - CDS

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2006, 08:27:09 »
(listen to your elders then ;))
Chimo!

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2006, 08:37:31 »
I will indeed...
In my experience...it has always been wise to listen and heed the words of those who are in the know...aka elders
I have a huge amount of respect for experience and knowledge  :salute:

HL
"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."~ Gen. Hillier - CDS

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2006, 08:50:23 »
said elders will make it a point of loading you up with their wisdom....but it'll be up to you to make decisions, and possibly mistakes, along the rocky road of life.

good luck

Chimo!
Chimo!

Offline Hot Lips

• Lest we forget...
  • Rate Post
    • You're in the army now
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2006, 16:13:51 »
Thanks Geo

HL