Author Topic: Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]  (Read 179761 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Re: Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]
« Reply #350 on: May 30, 2018, 22:18:12 »
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #351 on: May 31, 2018, 06:21:04 »
I was there as well. I like that it is of lighter weight, that you can roll up the sleeves and the lack of velcro on the outside. I would rather have the zipper over the buttons to do up the jacket. Overall a home run.

Since I won't be wearing the NCD unless I go to sea for some reason I asked the rep about the DEU pants. I've been purchasing dress pants off the rack that you can wash at home and don't need ironing, etc etc. The rep said that Logistik already supply these types of pants to other clients and they have a perm seam (no not like the version that was on the NCD's) that is the same as the seam you get from the dry-cleaners. These pants also have an "active wear" waist. The only reason the military doesn't have these types of pants is that they haven't asked for them!
So I sent an email to who I think is the appropriate authority. 

New white peak cap will be available by late September
Issued HCW's are coming, sometime in the new year.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #352 on: May 31, 2018, 07:35:20 »
Looks good JJT.

I am glad its of a lighter material. 

Any time line for mass issue ?  If I missed that I apologize.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Online Furniture

• Rate Post
« Reply #353 on: May 31, 2018, 08:16:28 »
Now they need to make a version in a lighter colour for people sailing in tropical climates. Nothing is quite as nice as wearing a black nomex suit in 41C temps on the Turkish coast.

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #354 on: May 31, 2018, 09:46:28 »
They're not at all like the CADPAT anymore.  The trousers are a closer fitting cut, we don't need the baggy legs.  Apparently the Army is envious of the design and cut as well.

I forgot.  The female shirts will have the rank Velcro lowered as they need it to accommodate for their physical attributes.

Ironically the previous shirts, pants and jackets being poorly fitted did a really good job for fire protection; if you look at the results from the burn testing, the areas that were fully covered generally signficantly reduced the burns received, but there was still some first/second degree burns in spots where both layers tend to touch the skin (like between the shoulder blades).

Around the waist, where most people have huge baggy pockets of fabric where generally almost no burns; the air pockets prevented any significant heat transfer.

If you haven't seen the test video, they basically took an old pair of NCDs, put it on a dummy in the middle of four flamethrowers, hit it with a five second blast, then did some analysis (it was kitted out with sensors to measure the max temp, heat flux, etc).

They were ugly and didn't fit well, but felt a lot better about my chances of being able to run up a ladder through a hot gas layer (in a Kootenay type experience), or being in a space where something flared off (like a gas turbine with an oil leak that shot a fireball into the engine room).

Online Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #355 on: May 31, 2018, 09:49:12 »
These look sooooo much better than what Kraken and the Command Chief have been sporting in pictures of late.

(I wanted to say "in the air" but come on...)

You missed a golden opportunity, my friend.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #356 on: May 31, 2018, 09:51:14 »
Ironically the previous shirts, pants and jackets being poorly fitted did a really good job for fire protection; if you look at the results from the burn testing, the areas that were fully covered generally signficantly reduced the burns received, but there was still some first/second degree burns in spots where both layers tend to touch the skin (like between the shoulder blades).

Around the waist, where most people have huge baggy pockets of fabric where generally almost no burns; the air pockets prevented any significant heat transfer.

If you haven't seen the test video, they basically took an old pair of NCDs, put it on a dummy in the middle of four flamethrowers, hit it with a five second blast, then did some analysis (it was kitted out with sensors to measure the max temp, heat flux, etc).

They were ugly and didn't fit well, but felt a lot better about my chances of being able to run up a ladder through a hot gas layer (in a Kootenay type experience), or being in a space where something flared off (like a gas turbine with an oil leak that shot a fireball into the engine room).

But people (not me) want to wear their NCD's in air conditioned offices ashore.  :brickwall:

Online Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #357 on: May 31, 2018, 09:56:48 »
But people (not me) want to wear their NCD's in air conditioned offices ashore.  :brickwall:

Both my current desk job and my next desk job all have NCDs as their dress of the day. :P
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #358 on: May 31, 2018, 10:01:30 »
I don't really get that; at least with CADPAT, people automatically get that you're in the forces.  New or old NCDs will never have the same recognition, so kind of dumb.

Hoping for the days though where the maintainers can wear generic coveralls ; the jacket being your second layer was always one of the counters, but doesn't seem to really matter with this version of NCDs.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #359 on: May 31, 2018, 10:57:46 »

The wearing of the most expensive clothing in the inventory, in climate controlled offices in Canada makes absolutely no sense.  The folks at the coal face are complaining about shortages of the clothing they need and actually use for its intended purpose, yet HQ folks are wearing out the seats of the trousers sitting at their desks.  We have service dress for a reason...

Sadly, this is nothing new.  I'm sure Caesar's Legions had the same issue.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #360 on: May 31, 2018, 11:31:24 »

Good points.  I wasn't privy to those trials and cannot say if the new stuff has been flame tested.  While not as baggy as the current stuff, they aren't skin tight either.

I suppose the new stuff is something I'd be willing to be caught dead in. (rim shot)

Offline FyroniK

• Rate Post
« Reply #361 on: May 31, 2018, 11:48:19 »
Don't suppose you asked if black was just the standard colour for display purposes or if the military was planning on a different colour, example blue?

Just curious :).

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #362 on: May 31, 2018, 12:43:24 »
Don't suppose you asked if black was just the standard colour for display purposes or if the military was planning on a different colour, example blue?

Just curious :).

Actually it is Navy Blue(Black) but no it won't be actually blue.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #363 on: May 31, 2018, 12:47:05 »
The wearing of the most expensive clothing in the inventory, in climate controlled offices in Canada makes absolutely no sense.  The folks at the coal face are complaining about shortages of the clothing they need and actually use for its intended purpose, yet HQ folks are wearing out the seats of the trousers sitting at their desks.  We have service dress for a reason...

but if they all wore service dress then who would be called on every time a work party is needed?  Need the Sgts/PO2s and below to be able to move things when ever someone gets the bright idea to shift or rearrange offices.    partly sarcasm but also true when I was at HQ level.  WO's and up did not wear combats.
“non-commissioned officer (NCO)” means a member holding the rank of sergeant or corporal.

QR&O's

Offline Underway

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #364 on: May 31, 2018, 20:07:13 »
It looks like a jacket and a T-shirt.  Not a shirt and T-shirt combo.  Why would you roll up jacket sleeves?  Doesn't this reduce weather comfort flexibility in the uniform vs the current blue shirt rolled up when warm, blue shirt sleeves down when cool,  and jacket+shirt when cold(ish).

If it doesn't have this type of flexibility I don't care how nice the jacket is.  It will alway be too warm as I can't be going around in my T-shirt doing stuff.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #365 on: May 31, 2018, 20:30:35 »
It looks like a jacket and a T-shirt.  Not a shirt and T-shirt combo.  Why would you roll up jacket sleeves?  Doesn't this reduce weather comfort flexibility in the uniform vs the current blue shirt rolled up when warm, blue shirt sleeves down when cool,  and jacket+shirt when cold(ish).

If it doesn't have this type of flexibility I don't care how nice the jacket is.  It will alway be too warm as I can't be going around in my T-shirt doing stuff.

It is not a jacket.  It is a shirt with tee shirt as the second layer.  There will be a fleece and a "puffy" jacket to go with it.

Offline LoKe

• Rate Post
« Reply #366 on: June 04, 2018, 15:09:56 »
EDIT: Removed pictures because they've already been posted.  Looks like my post was merged with this thread.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 15:49:00 by LoKe »

Offline Spencer100

• Rate Post

Online Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #368 on: June 06, 2018, 11:47:28 »
New US Navy uniforms

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2018/06/another-uniform-failure.html

Tuck your god damn shirt in sailor!... What's that? Come again? Oh... It's supposed to be like that? That can't be... but... alright...

― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #369 on: June 06, 2018, 12:06:01 »
Tuck your god damn shirt in sailor!... What's that? Come again? Oh... It's supposed to be like that? That can't be... but... alright...

Lifted from Cdr Salamander's caption: 

OK fine, I'll say it.

Everyone, man and woman, looks 5-months pregnant.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

jollyjacktar

« Reply #370 on: June 06, 2018, 12:52:21 »
Fugly

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #371 on: June 06, 2018, 13:05:50 »
Pajamas?  Civilians dressed for Halloween? 
“non-commissioned officer (NCO)” means a member holding the rank of sergeant or corporal.

QR&O's

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #372 on: June 06, 2018, 13:07:22 »

But CdrSalamander (and Navy Times) didn't use the US Navy imagery associated with the trial of these new uniforms.  Like all fashion marketing, you have to use models with better body type and flattering camera angles.

The USNI stayed with the program.

Though the photographer could have at least made sure they were in-step.

The boots are an interesting change.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 17:08:18 by Blackadder1916 »
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline jib9022

• Rate Post
« Reply #373 on: June 06, 2018, 13:16:23 »
New white peak cap will be available by late September
Issued HCW's are coming, sometime in the new year.

That's an awesome news!!!! I guess I can hold off on buying it from states!!
high collar whites all the way!!

Offline jib9022

• Rate Post
« Reply #374 on: June 06, 2018, 13:17:58 »
New US Navy uniforms

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2018/06/another-uniform-failure.html

oh wow, they are one ugly uniform..
kind of look like inmate suits without the ball cap