Author Topic: AFG Politician Tells NDP CAN is Making Things Worse  (Read 1942 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
AFG Politician Tells NDP CAN is Making Things Worse
« on: September 09, 2006, 21:34:39 »
Can't believe the run of "shaking my head" stories I'm running into tonight.....

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

Canadian troops making things worse: Afghan legislator
Mike De Souza, Canwest News, 9 Sept 06
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=5dac8c63-42f2-42d3-b12c-7c5c27e12a56

anada's troops are making matters worse for the Afghan people, a popular member of the war-torn country's national assembly told an NDP policy convention Friday.

With federal New Democrats debating a resolution to withdraw Canadian troops from combat in southern Afghanistan over the next six months, Malalai Joya, 27, the youngest elected Afghan parliamentarian, said efforts to fight the Taliban are helping warlords and drug lords take control of the country, suppressing the voices and rights of women and children.

"If (Canadians) want to prove themselves as real friends of the Afghan people, they must act independently," said Joya, who has escaped several assassination attempts since she was first elected in 2003. "They continued the policy of the U.S. and our people don't agree with U.S. policy, and this is why there is no positive results right now."

NDP Leader Jack Layton said the federal government is insulting Canadian troops by keeping them in a mission without a clear strategy or analysis of the consequences.

He added that Prime Minister Stephen Harper's defence of the mission in Afghanistan is a sign he is following the priorities of U.S. President George W. Bush, instead of spending money on fights that pose more of a threat to humanity.

He cited the spread of AIDS in developing countries and climate change.

"There is such a totally disproportionate investment of the world's energy, time and money on the issues that George Bush has defined as the threat to human security as opposed to the real threats to human security," said Layton. "The toll is taken in lives. This isn't political rhetoric."

Stephen Lewis, the United Nations special envoy on HIV/AIDS, said that Canadian leaders are only now starting to recognize that the mission is taking an unexpected turn.

"I well understand and appreciate the way the debate has been opened up by Jack Layton, and the way in which he has made this call (to withdraw the troops) which obviously the convention will overwhelmingly approve," said Lewis, who was also invited to speak to the NDP rank-and-file.

According to party estimates, the convention has attracted about 1,500 delegates to Quebec City, making it the second largest in NDP history.

A few months after losing formal support from one of its strongest traditional allies, the Canadian Auto Workers union, the NDP opened the convention with some endorsements from leaders of the Canadian Labour Congress and the Canadian Union of Public Employees.

"This is not the time, I say, to close the book on our past together," said Ken Georgetti, president of the CLC. "This is time to learn how to work together once again in new ways."

However, the party was unable to attract leaders from Quebec unions to its convention. The largest union in the province, the Quebec Federation of Labour, has traditionally supported the Bloc Quebecois. Layton said he hoped to focus on recruiting union activists at the grassroots level to convince their leaders to move over to the NDP. The party has never elected a Quebec MP in a general election.

mdesouza@cns.canwest.com

The anti-fundamentalist MP even has her own web page:
http://www.malalaijoya.com/index800.htm

BBC Profile - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4420832.stm
Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malalai_Joya

** edit - adding other bio links
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 21:38:16 by milnewstbay »
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Koenigsegg

• Rate Post
  • Don't be a fool, wrap your tool
Re: AFG Politician Tells NDP CAN is Making Things Worse
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 21:43:15 »
"They continued the policy of the U.S. and our people don't agree with U.S. policy, and this is why there is no positive results right now."

Excuse me?  You are a woman in Afghan politics...I am pretty that was not allowed before the Taliban was ousted....no positive results my arse.
My country, may she ever be right, but right or wrong, my country.

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 21:45:06 »
She is probably some Taliban leader's seventh wife and she is doing what she is told.
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 21:49:28 »
Assuming the Taliban would be happy with a seventh wife defended by the Italian Communist Party (found that one on her web page) ;)

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 21:50:31 »
this isn't the first time we've heard these sentiments. I'm hearing it from folks returning off the last Roto, from various pay grades, and as we've seen in another thread, the Brits are having the same thoughts bounced around.

We know from the fact that this is a woman in an elected position of political authority that things are far better than they were in Afghanistan, but it does serve as a barometer, allowing us to reassess and plan accordingly.

The fact that she's addressing the NDP, and is connected in any way with any Communist party, is also a means for us to judge her intellect. ::)
...time to cull the herd.

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 21:53:50 »
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 21:58:34 »
TCBF - I'm guessing your niner-actual doesn't read here, right?   ;D

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline paracowboy

• I keep sayin' it...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Make The Voices Stop!
...time to cull the herd.

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 22:01:50 »
She's outside, enjoying another sunny Alberta day!

If she walks in, I just click on the 'Spider Solitare" icon and my game comes up!

;D

D'oh! Gotta run...