Author Topic: Maritime Officer Selection Test ( MOST ) - merged  (Read 50522 times)

Offline gazorpazorpfield

• Rate Post
Re: Maritime Officer Selection Test ( MOST ) - merged
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 15:21:26 »
I've been scheduled to take the MOST in a few days. I've been practising mental math, SDT calculations and Lumosity. I've heard that the there's also a Passage Planning Test portion in the MOST. Is there a resource to prepare for that?
Recruiting Centre: Regina (SK)
Entry plan: Regular DEO
Choice 1: PILOT (Dropped)
Choice 2: MARS/NWO
Choice 3: ARMOUR OFFICER

Applied:        July 31/17
First Contact: Oct 03/17
CFAT/TSD:    Oct 24/17
Medical:        Nov 16/17
MOST:          Mar 09/18
Interview:     Mar 09/18
Medical supplementary forms submitted: Nov 22/17
Merit Listed:  Mar 12/18
Position Offered:   June 15/18 - NWO
Swearing In:   Aug 29/18
BMOQ:   Sep 10/18

Offline AlAB

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 20:00:34 »
SDT calculations and mental math are good to practice, but don't overdo it. Unfortunately there are no publicly available preparation resources.

Seriously, don't sweat it. If you did well enough on the CFAT to get to this point you will almost certainly do fine on the MOST. The questions themselves aren't hard, there are just a lot of them and not enough time. The most important pieces of advice I can give are don't panic and don't give up. The pass threshold is not public information but suffice to say never count yourself out.

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 22:46:52 »
Don't sweat the test.  I wrote the MOST a month and a half ago.  I'm a current serving Infantry Officer in the process of a remuster to NWO and tbh, the hardest part was simply putting myself out there knowing I could fail and thinking about what all the naysayers would say if I did.

I imagine it's the same for a new person joining the CAF.  My advice is to take your time and relax.  Don't expect to get a 100%, trust me, you won't.

Offline gazorpazorpfield

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 13:00:02 »
Don't sweat the test.  I wrote the MOST a month and a half ago.  I'm a current serving Infantry Officer in the process of a remuster to NWO and tbh, the hardest part was simply putting myself out there knowing I could fail and thinking about what all the naysayers would say if I did.

I imagine it's the same for a new person joining the CAF.  My advice is to take your time and relax.  Don't expect to get a 100%, trust me, you won't.

SDT calculations and mental math are good to practice, but don't overdo it. Unfortunately there are no publicly available preparation resources.

Seriously, don't sweat it. If you did well enough on the CFAT to get to this point you will almost certainly do fine on the MOST. The questions themselves aren't hard, there are just a lot of them and not enough time. The most important pieces of advice I can give are don't panic and don't give up. The pass threshold is not public information but suffice to say never count yourself out.

Thanks guys, I feel a bit more confident now! Still doing SDT and Lumosity cause they're fun to do and I'm aiming to go in there sharp as a tack :D

Offline miosam

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2018, 22:36:30 »
Is the MOST test multiple choice or written?

Offline gazorpazorpfield

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2018, 00:34:50 »
Is the MOST test multiple choice or written?
https://bootcampmilitaryfitnessinstitute.com/military-training/canadian-armed-forces-caf/canadian-armed-forces-caf-recruitment-selection-overview/
This is the most helpful resource i found about the MOST(look for that section in the page). Cant really talk about it any further but all the advice on this thread is spot on. Good luck.

Offline miosam

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2018, 00:13:50 »
Do I need to know all the nautical terminology there is out there for this test?

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2018, 06:40:30 »
Do I need to know all the nautical terminology there is out there for this test?

No

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2018, 09:58:16 »

Look, scuttlebutt is that after splicing the mainbrace during the halfway banyan, some of the ping bosns went a bit too far with the moose milk, seeing as one of them was swallowing the anchor, and they ended up making a mess all over of the leeward side of the quaterdeck. So, the Coxn closed-up the three killicks well before wakey wakey and had them cleaning the heads and flats right up to dinner. Well wasn't he miffed when he found one of them sculling about the sail loft, his *** made fast to pile of spare mustang jackets like it was bloody Sunday routine. That one ended up at defaulters and spent the rest of the deployment on a 1-in-3 with the dogs married spending one of his off watches every day cleaning FOD from the bullring to the transom.

If you understood all of that, you're not ready for the Navy; you're already in the Navy.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2018, 10:24:31 »
Look, scuttlebutt is that after splicing the mainbrace during the halfway banyan, some of the ping bosns went a bit too far with the moose milk, seeing as one of them was swallowing the anchor, and they ended up making a mess all over of the leeward side of the quaterdeck. So, the Coxn closed-up the three killicks well before wakey wakey and had them cleaning the heads and flats right up to dinner. Well wasn't he miffed when he found one of them sculling about the sail loft, his *** made fast to pile of spare mustang jackets like it was bloody Sunday routine. That one ended up at defaulters and spent the rest of the deployment on a 1-in-3 with the dogs married spending one of his off watches every day cleaning FOD from the bullring to the transom.

If you understood all of that, you're not ready for the Navy; you're already in the Navy.

Hahahaha!

The test is a stress test, you either pass it or you don't.  Studying won't really help you.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 10:48:15 »
Lumber: I think you missed a bit: Did the killick end up at defaulters with or without going before the mast, or was it just mess deck justice?

Inquiring minds want to know.  ;D

Online FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2018, 12:48:13 »
Lumber: I think you missed a bit: Did the killick end up at defaulters with or without going before the mast, or was it just mess deck justice?

Inquiring minds want to know.  ;D

Tiller flats divisional interview?

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2018, 12:58:08 »
His mess mother was a lower deck lawyer, so he managed to keep his conduct sheets crispy clean. Turns out the person who initially found him was a stoker who was himself three sheets to the wind at the time and wasn't a credible witness. That's not to say he got off easy. They were crossing the pond in the middle of the winter, and the focsle was cold enough to squeeze the cannon balls off a brass monkey, not that top part ship was much nicer. I tell ya, there's not enough duff in the whole larder that you could give me to be in his position.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2018, 16:38:06 »
Well! At least he wasn't flogged round the fleet, keelhauled or exiled to the bowsprit! 

I think we've beaten this dead horse enough, to quote army people.  ;D

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2018, 17:10:17 »

Somewhere in the deep, dark recesses of what's left of my mind I recall Art Hunter* telling us that defaulters were called something like "five and eight men," is that right, can someone explain?

_____
* Old, old RCR company commander as a captain (Art was a damned fine soldier but kept messing up the Capt to Maj exams) who was an ex-sailor ... he infamously (at a place called Haltern where we did still water swimming (of armoured personnel carriers every spring) put 15+ of his company's APC in the water at once and then sent the armoured cargo carrier past them, issuing gas cans and called it "fleet refuelling." The CO (Blake Baile for those who recall him) came upon it (as planned) and didn't know whether to crap, die or turn to page three ... Art would have been in serious difficulty if Blake could have managed to keep a straight face.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2018, 18:44:33 »
I think there may be some confusion with one form of punishment as opposed to a general term referring to men under punishment/men up for punishment.

In the Navy, "defaulters" has two possible meanings: It may refer to seamen that need to be seen by the Commanding Officer for  summary trial (come before the mast). They were usually heard at the same time as request men, usually 15 minutes after secure - meaning at 16h15.

In the old days, it could also refer to those seamen that had been found guilty of a minor offence. Some of those may have been punished with extra work or have their leave cancelled. This extra work (and for those Required On Board, their being sighted as such) was carried out before and after the day's activities. Therefore, it took place before breakfast (07:00) or after night rounds (19:30). Those defaulters condemned to extra work were therefore mustered for this extra work (and the R.O.B. sighted in their number one's) at 05:00 and 20:00 daily for two extra hours in the morning and one in the evening. Those specific, condemned, defaulters were the ones usually referred to as the 5 and 8 men.

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2018, 19:14:43 »
I wrote it this afternoon. Not only did I pass, everyone I wrote it with (two people) did as well. It was remarked that it was the first time in a few years that's happened.

Offline crlemesur

• Rate Post
CAF Officer Standardization Test (OST) Preparation/Advice
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2019, 16:08:39 »
Hey guys! I applied for Naval Warfare Officer (DEO), and finally been selected for the OST. Any of you have any links to some prep advice or any personal experience with the test that can help me out? My recruiter would only tell me that its nothing like the CFAT and there's no way to prepare for this test :/ Thanks in advance!

P.S. I scored 42/60 on the CFAT, did particularly well on mental math and problem-solving.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 16:16:31 by crlemesur »
Recruiting Centre: Barrie (ON)

Choice 1: Naval Warfare Officer
Choice 2: Aerospace Control Officer (Dropped)
Choice 3: Air Combat Systems Officer (Dropped)

Applied: 12/06/2018
First Contact: 12/11/2018
CFAT: 12/13/2018
MOST: 03/18/2019
Medical: 04/18/2019
Interview: 04/18/2019
Background check: 06/12/2019
Competition List: 07/02/2019
Position Offered (NWO): 07/08/2019
Swearing In: 07/09/2019
BMOQ: 07/22/2019

Offline boot12

• Rate Post
Re: CAF Officer Standardization Test (OST) Preparation/Advice
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2019, 18:19:25 »
Hi crlemesur,

You will likely have more luck if you search this forum for the Maritime Officer Selection Test (MOST) on this forum. As far as I know, it's an exam which is only completed by MARS/NWO DEO applicants (ROTP applicants like myself never had to write it, go figure). The most comprehensive thread that I can recall on this forum is located here:

https://navy.ca/forums/index.php/topic,51566.0.html

A fundamental component of success as a junior NWO is the ability to prioritize large amounts of information in a short period of time. There's a saying that you'll likely hear at some point along the lines of "The 80% solution now is almost always better than the 100% solution too late" or words to that effect. From what I have read on this forum that seems to be the foundation of the MOST.

Ultimately, I wouldn't sweat it too much. As someone who has trained a number of SLts from initial arrival to the Fleet post-NWO IV to NOPQ/FNO, I can tell you that a positive attitude and a willingness to learn trumps innate skill every time. From what I've seen the NWO recruiting/training community also understands this.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have more questions about the training system or the trade.

Offline crlemesur

• Rate Post
Re: CAF Officer Standardization Test (OST) Preparation/Advice
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2019, 12:17:04 »
Thanks!!

Offline crlemesur

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2019, 14:00:25 »
Well, I wrote the MOST today. The only tip I can add to the previous tips in this forum is to practice your SDT calculations and that is honestly all you can do to prepare. The hardest part about the test was the time limitations. The test is 60 multiple choice, broken up into 5 sections with 3 levels of difficulty (see link below). My advice during the test is to skip the long questions that involve a bunch of mental math because it takes too much time to estimate some of the answers, do the quick and straight forward ones first, then go back to the longer questions. As far as I know, the questions are all weighted the same and you need 24/60 to pass (see link below). Good luck to all future NWO applicants!

https://bootcampmilitaryfitnessinstitute.com/military-training/canadian-armed-forces-caf/canadian-armed-forces-caf-recruitment-selection-overview/
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:40:12 by crlemesur »

Offline Zigadenus

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2019, 20:43:26 »
Hi All,

I have found this to be best resource out there as to what the MOST consists of if you have the patience to read it. I refer specifically to pages 18 through 20, although the rest of it gives good insight into what exactly is being tested. It is a publicly available Master's thesis (copyright of the author).

http://library2.smu.ca/bitstream/handle/01/22430/blanc_sebastien_j-r_masters_2003.PDF?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 22:50:34 by Zigadenus »

Offline ali759

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2019, 22:41:02 »
Hi, this is my first time on here. I am scheduled for the MOST and I could not find any information about it. i was wondering if someone can help provide any idea of what the test is about and how to prepare for it. Thanks so much.

Offline ali759

• Rate Post
MOST preparation
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2019, 14:35:00 »
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am scheduled to write the MOST and I was wondering if anyone who has written the test can give me a general idea of what to expect and how to prepare.
p.s. I have read the other posts regarding MOST on this forum but was wondering if there are any other tips anyone can offer.
Thanks so much

Offline beentrill

• Rate Post
Re: MOST preparation
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2019, 22:15:44 »
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I am scheduled to write the MOST and I was wondering if anyone who has written the test can give me a general idea of what to expect and how to prepare.
p.s. I have read the other posts regarding MOST on this forum but was wondering if there are any other tips anyone can offer.
Thanks so much

What's going on? Hopefully this isn't too late for you.

Go in with a clear mind, read instructions carefully, manage your time! I wrote with an individual who has a master's in engineering and didn't pass... probably overthought the test. All things considered, it's very straight forward.

Position(s) Offered:
Military Police Officer
Naval Warfare Officer

Applied: 06/04/2019
First Contact: 06/14/2019
CFAT: 07/31/2019
MOST: 10/10/2019
Medical: 10/29/2019
Interview: 10/29/2019
Background check: 11/11/2019
Competition List: N/A
Position Offered (NWO): 11/28/2019