Poll

Do you play Squad Leader, or any other wargame for that matter?

Yes
No
I have no idea what a grognard is

Author Topic: Grognards amongst us?  (Read 22211 times)

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
Re: Grognards amongst us?
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2006, 19:00:25 »
My current fix is on the Eastern Front.  I am the Soviets in a delay action before Smolensk in one, the Soviets in 1944 Central Poland smashing some SS dudes (I already took out a JagdTiger!) and finally, I am Soviets in a street battle in Stalingrad, all using Squad Leader and VASSAL.  In one game, my opponent is in the south of Franch (Marseilles?) and the other two the fella is somewhere in Pennsylvania!

I can't get enough! :D
So, there I was....

Offline Thorvald

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2006, 19:53:53 »
OK.  If you've played Squad Leader (or any other wargame), AND you still play from time to time, vote!

Finally a real wargamer!

Haven't had time to play since high school, still have all my "gamettes" however and other Avalon Hill bookcase cames.

I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for a proper computer conversion of the original Squad Leader, but to no avail.  They always botch it up.

Remember the series of Avalon Hill Computer conversions (Third Reich, 5th Fleet, Stalingrad) from the 90's, they were 100% conversions, very nice.   They had a Squad Leader verison in the works and some "idiot" decided to make it more "appealing to a wider audience"...sheesh.

It's quite easy to still get ASL games, manuals, etc.  They are mostly still in print or being re-printed.  Just to go http://www.multimanpublishing.com/ASL/asl.php.

Cheers
  Tim
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 19:57:35 by Thorvald »
How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin.
- Ronald Reagan

Offline sigpig

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2006, 22:25:36 »
I never had Panzer Leader, but my friend did, and I played a couple of games from time to time.Another game I have that's getting some resurgence is Russian Campaign.

Panzer Leader, Russian Campaign, wow, names from my childhood  ;D   And Blitzkrieg, and Third Reich. I've got some World in Flame boxes in the closet but I don't know if I've got enough to make a real game now.

And I've got a lot of the old Star Fleet Battles and Federation and Empire sets but I'm guessing they don't count in this discussion  ;)

Offline LeonTheNeon

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006, 06:57:22 »
I play tons of strategy/war games but mainly on PC these days, it is hard to get the buds together to play any board games.  Currently I'm playing Operational Art of War III, I picked up DEFCON a couple of weeks ago (which is a pile of fun even if it isn't very deep) and I just got Dominions 3 on Monday (this game is pretty deep although not as much as OAoW3).  I still have BCT Commander installed on my PC but I'm not playing it much anymore.

Offline sigpig

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2006, 09:15:17 »
Currently I'm playing Operational Art of War III,

Is that more playable than the original? It was an interesting and comprehensive game but hard to have fun with.

Offline LeonTheNeon

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2006, 09:26:58 »
I didn't play the first one so I cannot make any direct comparisons.  It is playable, but it isn't friendly to play.  Like a lot of the semi-independent, medium budget games you sometimes feel like you're fighting the game because it is missing that polished interface you get in big budget games.  That can be frustrating at times.  Information isn't readily available and isn't cross-referenced well, so there's a lot of screen flipping.  Clearly, the game also expects you to be familiar with military symbols and acronyms, which really shouldn't be a problem for a grognard or likely anybody in uniform right now. :)

For those reasons, I find it hard to recommend the game.  If you can overlook the amount of micromanagement and an at times frustrating interface, you get an insane amount of depth, and in my layman's view, a pretty good look at operational-level warfare.

Offline niner domestic

• Rate Post
  • Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat...
Re: here you go VonG, an Olympic all for you...lol
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2006, 14:39:54 »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/tech_life_cyberolympics_col

I see a glorious gaggle of gold medals if you compete...lol

The basis of all morality is duty, a concept with the
same relation to a group that self-interest has to individual. R.A.Heinlein

Offline Le Gars

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2006, 15:11:00 »
I don't think that the hand eye coordination of grognards matches that of the Starcraft player :P The speed at which some grognards go is much slower than the historical battles they recreate!
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise - Tacitus

I have a cunning plan - Baldrick

Offline Klc

• Seriously, guys... has anyone seen my bolt?
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • My recruiter promised me a jetpack.
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2006, 18:24:15 »
And a starcraft player can be proud of the tactics needed to win the average match... (Build 50-100 of any one unit - attack enemy.)  ::)
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
- Winston Churchill

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2006, 13:46:26 »
VG, SOCOM is an FPS, not a simulation of the type that would make a grognard.
I slant towards the electronic versions. I play Talonsoft games (largely the campaign series, as I have trouble finding the battleground series games, especially when so outrageously priced on the take2 interative site, yeesh) and occasionally I try and slug away at something converted from an Avalon Hill game or of that ilk (Smolensk '41 and its brothers). I'm also a Combat Mission fan. I also do the I did play a bit of the european theatre on a board with my first roommate when I moved to Vancouver. I should be able to remember the name, but it escapes me, anyway, the map was huge, 8'X8' and we put it on the wall. Quite a hassle to get all the unit markers cleaned up so that I could gum them up again and repeat the process as I forgot what was in a particular stack.

www.theblitz.org

I played on the SP ladder at the Blitz for years. Might even get back into it. I found I was spending too much time on the computer and got to the point I couldn't even turn it on.
“I thought I couldn't afford to take her out and smoke as well. So I gave up cigarettes. Then I took her out and one day I looked at her and thought: "Oh well," and I went back to smoking again, and that was better.” - Benny Hill
"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures” - Robin Williams
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.” - Miss Piggy

Offline Sigger

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2008, 17:21:36 »
I figured there would be some Grognards here on Army.ca. I am looking to get into playing some real games like this.
Please, if you can, I am looking for a starting point. Preferably PC based (I guess).

I am a big RISK fan, but am looking for something with some more depth(not that RISK has any).

Thank you in advance.
-VVV-

Offline JimMorrison19

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2008, 17:27:19 »
In my experience with Dungeons & Dragons and similar games, I've seen "grognard" be used to refer to those who are skeptic/cynical/generally negative about the release of newer materials or editions for the game, piously standing their ground in favor of old material regardless of whether or not it is actually superior in any way. In this light the term itself is fairly negative. I've never heard it be used to refer to war-gamers in general.
Long way down/I don't think I'll make it on my own

Offline Yrys

• α-γνωστικισμός
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • You can deprive the body but the soul needs choco!
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2008, 17:40:21 »
In my experience with Dungeons & Dragons and similar games, I've seen "grognard" be used to refer to those who are skeptic/cynical/generally negative about the release of newer materials or editions for the game, piously standing their ground in favor of old material regardless of whether or not it is actually superior in any way. In this light the term itself is fairly negative. I've never heard it be used to refer to war-gamers in general.

"Âge of JimMorrison19:     19"

Maybe the meaning is different depending of the group age ?

In my experience, it is use related to wargamers, in the 30 ish, 40 ish group age, francophone.
Mortarman Rockpainter seems to have the same experience, and he's 41, anglophone. They do tend to be unfavorable toward game that use "scale soldiers".
Louvre website

"Happiness is beneficial for the body, but it is grief that develops the powers of the mind."  Marcel Proust

Offline Technoviking

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 08:44:24 »
NECROTHREAD update

I just learned this morning that John Hill, designer of Squad Leader, died last night.  He had a massive heart attack a few days ago and never recovered. 

And I'm no longer 41...  :P
So, there I was....

Offline Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 10:09:04 »
Sad news. When I get home I will have to find my copies of Squad Leader and Panzer Leader...
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Technoviking

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2015, 11:58:47 »
Sad news. When I get home I will have to find my copies of Squad Leader and Panzer Leader...
I just played a game on Sunday.  I introduced a friend to it.  We played "The Guards Counterattack".  Great fun!  He "got" the system and we had a pretty good game.

(The Germans won!)

When you get home, go to http://www.vassalengine.org.  You can download a java-script based program where you can play *any* board game on.  It even logs your move for PBeM games. 

(I have at least four on the go right now)

Cheers

So, there I was....

Offline MadMat

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2015, 05:23:12 »
Doing a bit of thread-necromancy here ...

I don't play ASL, I've given Lock'n Load a try, but I'm more interested in miniatures wargame (which I play a lot) and video-wargames (which I'm a developper of  ;)).

Although I like WW2, Kursk and the Battle of Normandy like any other Grognard, I'd rather paint more unsung armies & battles.
Recently, I've been working on adapting a French WW2 minis rules (Blitzkrieg) for the French Indochina War, and have been painting quite a lot of 15mm French colonial/paratrooper/Légion/vehicles & Vietminh regulars and irregulars. Some of them displayed here.

Now that my "Indochina project" is about to be completed, I'm focusing on another unsung army: Italian WW2 desert troops;D
I'm planning to paint a Compagnie Sahariana, the Italian desert raiders counterparts to the British LRDG.

With a friend of mine, we are also playing 6mm Napoleonic battle, at corps level with the lowest unit to command being the brigade. Those are "house rules" written by my opponent.

Also playing quite a lot of video-wargames. My all-time favorite, still playing it from time to time, being the Close Combat series.
I have played a lot of Panzer General too, but that series has recently found a more-than-worthy heir with Unity of Command, IMO the best turn-based wargame on PC since at least a decade.