Author Topic: UK DefMIn Seeks Individual, Biz Incentives for Reservists  (Read 951 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
UK DefMIn Seeks Individual, Biz Incentives for Reservists
« on: October 29, 2006, 07:26:19 »
 Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

'IN WAR THE SOLDIER NEXT TO YOU IS YOUR EQUAL'
Defence Secretary Des Browne, Sunday Mail (UK), 29 Oct 06

I ASKED a regular soldier in Afghanistan recently what was the difference between reservists and his full-time colleagues. He told me that in combat "the bloke next to you is the bloke next to you - you're the same".

That's what drives the reserves of all three services today. The territorial element of the British forces has always been vital, and never more so than today. The Sunday Mirror deserves real praise for drawing attention to what these volunteers do for the UK.

Across Britain every weekend, men and women train and practice. Across the world every day, they are putting these skills to use.

Recruitment among the TA has increased this year and I hope more young people take up the challenge.

Apart from their pay, reservists get lots more back, too. They build confidence, learn new skills and join the military family, a family that stays with them for life. Their employers get something as well - confident staff used to making decisions in tough circumstances.

(Interesting message here) - When we think about how much some firms pay to send their staff on "team-building" exercises, imagine what they get back from having their staff join the best team there is, the British military. Most employers feel like this. Sadly, a very tiny minority don't. It may be less than 30, but one is too many. We have shown that we are not afraid to use the law to protect reservists and will continue to do so. But the MoD wants to do more to recognise companies which encourage people to volunteer.

We are considering an annual award for the best employer of reservists, and a plaque saying Supporting Our Forces which employers can hang in shops, offices or workshops.

But now I want to hear the ideas of Sunday Mirror readers. YOU can email your ideas to us at taheroes@sundaymirror.co.uk or write to: Sunday Mirror, 1 Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5AP.

“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter