Author Topic: Reserve initial kit issue ( merged )  (Read 60152 times)

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Pres Kit issuing
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2007, 22:58:52 »
I'd just like to weigh in here with an opinion that seems to be contrary to most.

First of all, need is a relative term. I made it through a winter bmq with the old winter stuff with the jacket with the corduroy collar, MK3's, etc, and have no complaints there.

The issue, to me, comes in this whole attitude that, particularly in the PRes (not so much with Reg force) that you need it more after you're trained. The one weekend a month that most reservists spend in the field is very different to the nearly 50% of the time you spend in the field on SQ and DP1. On SQ we spent 6 out of 9 consecutive weekends in the field. Are these recruits not relying very heavily upon their kit, in comparison to a garrison soldier going to the field once a month at most?

And to reiterate, before any flames are thrown, I do respect the position of the PRes in line right after the Reg for guys. They obviously need it, especially those deploying. I am not comparing their needs to ours.

Sure they're relying on their kit while they spend 6 out of 9 weekends (6 out of 9 weekends does not equal consecutive BTW) in the field. But like you've pointed out, the other kit will suffice. Heck, many of us lived for 6 weeks straight in it in Petawawa in -40 through Jan/Feb and lived to tell about it. Boys wore it for weeks on end in the arctic on ex...and lived to tell about it too.

No harm will come to any soldier having to utilize old kit in the field on BMQ or SQ. It may not be Gucci, and it may not be the latest gear, but it worked for thousands of soldiers for decades. It'll work for the new ones too.

The reason the IECS/ICE isn't issued to new BMQ/SQ has nothing to do with need really. It's all about release rates. Simply put, as Kratz has pointed out ... simply trying to track down the no-shows who just decide it isn't for them...never to be seen at the armouries again. It's called value for your money. When the odds are greatest that someone's going to skive off with the kit ... you don't issue them the most expensive kit that you have in the system when the old stuff does the exact same job and just doesn't look as pretty. Trust me, the taxpayers are thankful. It's the same reasoning that ResF Army NCMs are no longer issued DEU until 1 year of service or their QL3 is completed. Because a heck of a lot of them just don't make it that far. Why waste a few hundred bucks issuing out DEU that he'll never wear, you can't recover, or re-issue despite the fact it's brand new??

It just makes sense to me.

Edited for typo.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 23:02:08 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2007, 23:01:11 »
Thanks for the clarification, I just figured it was starting to be general issue since people in the static unit got it(I believe they did anyways), aswell as all of us in Combat Arms units.

Your base.

There's quite a few combat arms RegF units around here that still don't have it issued yet.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Not_So_Arty_Newbie

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2007, 00:15:14 »
Vern,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I just saw an ops restriction on the LWT Rain Gear (CADPAT) from LFWA??

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2007, 00:18:30 »
Vern,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I just saw an ops restriction on the LWT Rain Gear (CADPAT) from LFWA??

Vous êtes correct monsieur.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2007, 00:29:22 »
Mercis Madmoiselle

Offline PatrickO

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2007, 18:19:18 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that mean that LFWA soldiers won't be seeing the raingear for a while?
Sharpe: "Give me your pick-lock, Cooper."
Cooper: "Will I get it back, sir?"
Sharpe: "Trust me."
Cooper: "It's very hard to trust a man who wants a pick-lock, sir."

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2007, 18:46:48 »
Only those pers deploying for TF 1-08 will get the new kit for the time being

Offline PatrickO

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2007, 18:51:07 »
Seen. That's as it should be anyways. cheers for the clarification.
Sharpe: "Give me your pick-lock, Cooper."
Cooper: "Will I get it back, sir?"
Sharpe: "Trust me."
Cooper: "It's very hard to trust a man who wants a pick-lock, sir."

Offline mysteriousmind

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Hurry...to wait.
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2007, 07:36:04 »

so it's taken me about a year and a half to get fully kitted out, i can understand that you "want" all the GOOD kit, but do you really need it? probably not. Good things come to those who wait.

Actually, I don't need "all of it", but, autumn is coming... the Wet weather boots would be nice to have a few before I go on My SQ,  ill be comfy in it... nut putting them on for the first time during my SQ and well ill be working in the regimental QM, so a Gerber would be usefull (also usefull on SQ)

but...people did it without it...I can. ;)
For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2007, 07:35:32 »
About the DEU, does this apply to NavRes and AirRes as well?

Army only at this point in time due to the high failure/non-retention rates within the first year of service. This policy falls under the jurisdiction of the ECS' and therefore each environment decides kit entitlements, dates of issue etc on their own accord.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline Dixon

• Does Not Play Well With Others...
  • Rate Post
  • B Sqn SALH
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2007, 17:55:15 »
These are still quite a rare sight. They are not a CTS item. Rather, when the new contract was issued for their delivery into the Supply system by non-CTS means was last issued, it called for the cadpat pattern. They both are the exact same item, save for the colour. As the stocks of the OD type run out and they go N/S, the cadpat bivys will eventually take over.

Id like to trade my CADPAT biv bag for an OD one, I keep losing my bag when i go for a midnight whiz in the hide
"What Are you Doing Dixon!"
"Thats a Rhetorical Question, Right Sir?"

Offline Barnes888

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2007, 13:58:58 »
I'd just like to weigh in here with an opinion that seems to be contrary to most.

First of all, need is a relative term. I made it through a winter bmq with the old winter stuff with the jacket with the corduroy collar, MK3's, etc, and have no complaints there.

The issue, to me, comes in this whole attitude that, particularly in the PRes (not so much with Reg force) that you need it more after you're trained. The one weekend a month that most reservists spend in the field is very different to the nearly 50% of the time you spend in the field on SQ and DP1. On SQ we spent 6 out of 9 consecutive weekends in the field. Are these recruits not relying very heavily upon their kit, in comparison to a garrison soldier going to the field once a month at most?

And to reiterate, before any flames are thrown, I do respect the position of the PRes in line right after the Reg for guys. They obviously need it, especially those deploying. I am not comparing their needs to ours.

i was in the same situation (old winter stuff) and same with the sq feild time. didn't get to wear my wet weather boots till the last week of the feild. the thing you have to remember is that rank, paper, scissors always wins. just came back from wainwright after 10 days in the feild (mod tents and working in the shop the whole time) and it was a total turn around from the "feild time" i did in bmq and sq. the biggest thing that i found made a difference was my cot.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2007, 14:16:50 »
i was in the same situation (old winter stuff) and same with the sq feild time. didn't get to wear my wet weather boots till the last week of the feild. the thing you have to remember is that rank, paper, scissors always wins. just came back from wainwright after 10 days in the feild (mod tents and working in the shop the whole time) and it was a total turn around from the "feild time" i did in bmq and sq. the biggest thing that i found made a difference was my cot.

1) Bullshit. Rank has SFA to do with it.

2) A cot?? Aren't you lucky.

Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2007, 17:45:29 »
I echo what Vern has to say, the only time regarding kit that I ever saw that was when a young supply tech (sorry Vern) had aquired for himself a gortex combat jacket (the old style OD ones when they first came into the system). The SSM had only this to say Pte Bloggins you will not wear that paricular piece of kit until you have one for everyone in the sqn. Leaders had an obligation to ensure thier soldiers needs are met ahead of thier own. In fact it comes second only to accomplishment of the mission. Rank paper scissors may win alot of battles but not the clothing one, you are either entitled or not.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2007, 17:50:56 »
I echo what Vern has to say, the only time regarding kit that I ever saw that was when a young supply tech (sorry Vern) had aquired for himself a gortex combat jacket (the old style OD ones when they first came into the system). The SSM had only this to say Pte Bloggins you will not wear that paricular piece of kit until you have one for everyone in the sqn. Leaders had an obligation to ensure thier soldiers needs are met ahead of thier own. In fact it comes second only to accomplishment of the mission. Rank paper scissors may win alot of battles but not the clothing one, you are either entitled or not.

No need to apologize; there's assholes in every trade.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2007, 18:11:13 »
Too true

Offline Barnes888

• Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2007, 14:15:49 »

2) A cot?? Aren't you lucky.

better than sleeping on the ground....

mudrecceman

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2007, 17:27:37 »
better than sleeping on the ground....

Funny, never could fit those darn "cots" in a crew tent...well not enough for the whole crew.  Heck, depending on the SOR, you didn't even have a tent up lots of the time!  Guess we had it "rough" all those years... :P

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2007, 17:32:44 »
Funny, never could fit those darn "cots" in a crew tent...well not enough for the whole crew.  Heck, depending on the SOR, you didn't even have a tent up lots of the time!  Guess we had it "rough" all those years... :P

Yepper, I know how you feel. 19 years and I've never been issued a cot; not even on a temp loan basis.

:-[
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline TAC MP

• OBSERVER
  • Rate Post
  • Member formally known as MPSHIELD
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2007, 22:23:11 »
Was in Edmonton 2 days ago. I was returning my Tan Kit. I saw TF 108 getting their Rain Jackets. Boy am I jealous but I know they need it more than me. I wish I was deploying on TF 108 rather than been deployed on TF 107 so i would get the rain gear. I know that is a terrible excuse lol. I hoping it will not be too far off before it is general issue. 2 years for general issue? I can dream can't I? lol ;D

Seriously though, I hear about all these people wanting this and that and complain that they don't have it (not necessarily on this thread). I have only been in for 11 years and I have seen the huge difference in kit that we have been issued over the years. It is great to see. I did read somewhere that CF soldiers are some of the best in the world. I have been on 2 tours and I can see that there are many other countries far worst off then we are. I have learned to be patient in getting the lastest and greatest kit.

My 2 cents.
"...quick hold my Timmy's...I'm going in..."
-I'm sure someone said it at sometime or another.

"...but in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death..."
-Benjamin Franklin
Excerpt from a letter to Jean Baptiste Le Roy; dated November 13, 1789

"I know not what weapons of WW III will be fought, WW IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
-Albert Einstein

Offline Haynes

• Rate Post
Issued Kit
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2008, 13:47:53 »
Good Afternoon Army.ca

I am joining the Reserves as i am only 17, However i have one question.

What does the CF issue me when i join??

Thanks for the help

regards

Haynes

Offline --NES--

• Rate Post
Re: Issued Kit
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2008, 14:32:23 »
Here's some links;

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,35934.0.html

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,69572.0.html

But this link will help you the most;

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search

Heads Up;   Incoming blasting from DS for not searching.

Please delete this account

Offline Chapeski

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2008, 14:34:06 »
What does the CF issue me when i join??

Everything you need to do the job.

Welcome to Army.ca, I hope your stay here is enjoyable.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
-Winston Churchill
"Nine times of ten an army has been destroyed because its supply lines have been severed"
- Macarthur, August 1950 to the Joint Chiefs of Staff

aesop081

« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2008, 14:36:45 »

I am joining the Reserves as i am only 17, However i have one question.

What does your age have to do with it ? I joined the regs at 17.

As for what you get issued well......you get a bunch of stuff. Why dont you worry about that when they issue it to you.

Offline --NES--

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2008, 15:03:11 »
Since I have all kinds of time at work (don't ask), I've done some of your foot work;

This is a really good site for what you're looking at;
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1.asp

Here's some kit info;
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/10_1_DEUexchange_1.asp

And some "clothe the soldier" info;
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/Chief_Land_Staff/Clothe_the_soldier/hab/4/46_e.asp

Oh... try this one too;
http://www.google.ca

or

http://www.forces.gc.ca

;)

Please delete this account