Author Topic: Which Cap Badge to wear?  (Read 24176 times)

Offline cda84

• Rate Post
Which Cap Badge to wear?
« on: March 10, 2007, 19:23:05 »
Afternoon all,

I have a quick question, I am finishing my ROTP program this semester, and am being posted on OJT after that. My posting message stated 2Lt, me. (currently I am still an OCdt until I graduate obviously). I have been given a BOTC bypass due to previous Reserve service. So I have not completed the whole, 'BOTP grad parade', and never will. I have seen other OCdts (Pilots, like me) with the Air Force cap badge having completed their BOTP.

Since I have completed the BOTC level, am I entitled to get rid of the cornflake?

Cheers

Chris

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: At What Point Do I Wear an Air Force Cap Badge
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 19:34:02 »
One usually doesn't take it upon themself to change their hatbadge/award themself a hatbadge, without some serious repercussions.  As you are in the ROTP program, it would be best to check with your Advising Officer and do as they instruct you to do.  To take any advice from us would only get you into someone's bad books.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline cda84

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 19:50:51 »
Good point. Perhaps I should rephrase the question then.

Am I likely entitled to one if I go ask? (Which, I will!) I am basically curious when everybody else who has gone AF ROTP has gotten theirs?

Cheers

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 19:53:55 »
once you are qualified beyond 0, you might very well be.

For the Infantry recruits, they wear the "corn flake" tri service badge thru their BQ & SQ, they wear the Infantry corp badge thru their trade course & are awarded their Regimental cap badge upon completion of battle school..........
Chimo!

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 20:23:23 »
cda84 - you won't likely be given any direction about when to put up your cloth capbadge. 

Here's what I want you to do:

Next time you are in clothing stores, ask for x2 Air Force cloth capbadge (Vern can provide the NSN). 

Next, go to your local base tailor and get him/her to affix said capbadges to your beret and wedge. Ta-da, you are done.  Do not show up anywhere wearing the Cornflake.  With your prior service and your BOTC bypass you should never have even worn the cornflake.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline hollywood13

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 09:39:47 »
cda84 - you won't likely be given any direction about when to put up your cloth capbadge. 

Here's what I want you to do:

Next time you are in clothing stores, ask for x2 Air Force cloth capbadge (Vern can provide the NSN). 

Next, go to your local base tailor and get him/her to affix said capbadges to your beret and wedge. Ta-da, you are done.  Do not show up anywhere wearing the Cornflake.  With your prior service and your BOTC bypass you should never have even worn the cornflake.

For my two cents.... when I was on IAP and BOTC, members with previous military service wore the cap badges they earned. For myself I was Arty, going to Air Force, so I could not wear my army cap badge with the blue beret. A few former Air Force NCM members had the NCM air force badge on from day one to grad parade, as well as one MP, and an infantry NCO. Our staff did not care, and nobody got jacked up for having them on. For myself, and everyone else that did BOTC in the Air Force, we all wore our Officer Cap badges on our berets and wedges for second lang. training that commenced 4 days after BOTC, with no issues.

hope this help

Offline Aden_Gatling

• Rate Post
  • Action is eloquence.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 11:57:52 »

Or even better yet, go to Canex and get the gold-threaded one: they look about a million times better ...
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Offline Not_So_Arty_Newbie

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 16:11:48 »
9. Personnel commissioned from the ranks to a
different CF element and issued the uniform of the
new element, are entitled to wear the branch insignia
of that element.

10. Officer cadets of the Royal Military College
(RMC), other than UTPM cadets, shall wear RMC
badges during the academic year until they are
commissioned. They shall be issued branch badges
as appropriate on commencement of military
occupation training, for wear only during the period of
this training. Upon commissioning, they shall wear
the insignia of the branch or regiment to which they
are assigned.

12. UTPM cadets shall continue to wear their
environmental uniforms, branch or regimental
insignia until re-assigned.

Not sure if this applies to you or not, but this is all directly out of the Dress instructions cheers

Offline cda84

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 17:37:45 »
Thank you all for the responses.

The RMC rules do not apply to me no, I have been Civy U. I do know all the other pilots I know post BOTC have the Air Cap Badge.

Therefore, as Zoomie (thank you for the reassurance), stated, I will make the trip down to the ASU to pick some up.

Cheers all

Offline md2b

• Rate Post
Which Cap Badge to wear?
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 20:00:19 »
I've got a question for those more experienced than I...

I was a reservist med tech; and was thus issued an NCM med tech cap badge for my beret.
Then I commissioned through MOTP and I'm a 2Lt and my SEM instructions say "MOTP students will be issued the distinct cap badge upon enrollment". I have this too.

BUT I am going on Phase II of BMOQ in June and I have no idea whether I should wear a cornflake (I have this leftover from being a med tech); my old med tech cap badge (since that's my level of military training) or the medical officer one (since I've been issued that too).

Or should I just order 2 more berets from logistik unicorps and take 3 with me and wear whatever I'm told to?

thanks!

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: Which capbadge?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 20:04:38 »
You were issued Med officer capbadge. Reading between the lines that means throw it on your beret. The CF wouldn't issue you something you're not supposed to wear yet (normally).

Offline MedCorps

• Rate Post
  • Rucksack Living!
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 20:42:37 »
MB2B

Officers in the Canadian Forces Medical Service (CFMS) are "taken on strength" with the CFMS when they commission.  As such you are entitled to wear, and should wear proudly, the Medical Branch, Officer (silver snake) cap badge. When you get to the Training Centre in Borden buy a few of the nice ones from the kit shop, but in the mean time the issue one will do.

The only time you will see an officer wear a NCM CFMS capbadge (gold snake) is if they were a CFMS NCM and now are an Officer Cadet. 

If you did not have previous service and were not commissioned yet (still an Officer Cadet) then you would wear the good old tri-service capbadge.

I hope that helps.  Good luck at BMOQ.

MC

Offline md2b

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 11:08:32 »
Thank you Puckchaser and MedCorps for the clarification! I appreciate it!

Offline Globemaster

• Rate Post
Which Cap Badge to wear?
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 21:17:57 »
Hi all,

I am an army reservist and recently signed my acceptacnce offer for EME officer through the SCP and accepted a position as 2LT-2. Currently I am authorized to wear the logistics cap badge. Do I continue to wear my log NCM badge or change to cornflake/EME? My next career course is CAP from what I was told. I tried reading through the CF dress instructions and searched the forums but couldn't find anything relevant. Does anyone have access to the EME standing orders as there might  be something in there?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 22:00:23 by Globemaster »

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
Re: NCM to Officer: Which Cap badge?
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 23:03:58 »
If you were a straight remuster then the answer would be much easier. Tradition suggests that you would continue to wear the Log cap badge until you're qualified in the new MOC. Seeing as this is a remuster combined with a SCP, then I would suggest that you wear the Log badge until you put your bars on, then switch over to EME. The branch adviser for EME might be able to shed better light on the subject.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 09:29:09 »
Plus, you may wish to hold off on switching until you receive your EME badge from your new CO.

Have fun on CAP. Baby Cap or Gagetown?
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 11:50:49 »
I went the other way, from EME to Log when I commissioned. I was told to switch my capbadge when my rank was changed (as were all the other UT's that I went through the next 3 years of courses with until I was trades qualified).

Wook
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline Globemaster

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 19:59:57 »
Thanks for the replies!

@blackberet: not course loaded yet, but I've heard nice things about aldershot.

@wook: are you referring to the trade cap badge or the cornflake?

Offline cupper

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Nuke 'em 'til they glow, then wait until dark.
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 22:41:48 »
but I've heard nice things about aldershot.

That must be the first time in history that those words have been uttered in the same sentence. ;D
It's hard to win an argument against a smart person, it's damned near impossible against a stupid person.

There is no God, and life is just a myth.

"He who drinks, sleeps. He who sleeps, does not sin. He who does not sin, is holy. Therefore he who drinks, is holy."

Let's Go CAPS!

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 11:06:34 »
When my then CO and RSM "promoted" me to OCdt, I was also handed a brand new Log cap badge and sent directly to the tailor shop to get it put on.

Wook
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline Globemaster

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 19:56:49 »
Ended up being the same case as wook. Presented with EME cap badge and instructed to sort it out

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 18:42:00 »
Thanks for the replies!

It's called Alderschwitz for a reason... hint: the ants are everywhere. Suggest you adopt them as a section mascot IOT pass inspection.
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Offline NSDreamer

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 08:32:12 »
Thanks for the replies!

@wook: are you referring to the trade cap badge or the cornflake?

Be careful about that, Aldershot is a crap shoot when it comes to CAP/What is now BMOQ-L

For instance my course had a pretty jammy go, we only lost about 4 people to quitting/failing etc...

However our sister platoon in the barracks next to us got the SH** beat out of them and went from 30 pers, to 21 before their their 8th week. Almost 30% wash out rate. Most of which were due to injury from people who thought they had a jammy go coming to them.

Apparently there are some Crse O's who think that because you are in Aldershot and it has a rep for easy BMOQ-L/CAP courses, they need to put the boots to you harder.

my 2cents.

-NS
Something relatively witty.

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 08:51:19 »
That must be the first time in history that those words have been uttered in the same sentence. ;D

Be careful about that, Aldershot is a crap shoot 

The second quote sounds more like the rat hole I was exiled to for most of the 1980's  8)
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline JRBond

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 22:16:05 »
Does anyone have a reference for OCdts with former service wearing anything besides the cornflake?

Online Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 10:59:25 »
Does anyone have a reference for OCdts with former service wearing anything besides the cornflake?

CFP 265, Chapter 3, Section 4.

To summarize, it is complicated and depends largely on your commissioning plan. ROTP and UTPNCM are different. Although the dress pam uses the older term UTPM.

Offline SemperGumbee

• Rate Post
Which Cap Badge to wear?
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 12:36:34 »
Greetings,

long time lurker, first time poster here. I've looked plenty for a situation similar to mine through these forums, but haven't found any solid info so I'm hoping someone can give an answer to my particular situation.

I was previously a 3s qualified medic in the Army Reserves before switching over to be a Reg Force CELE (Air) Officer through ROTP. I am still an officer cadet, but have completed my BMOQ training. In the last year i have been told to wear and then switch 4 different cap badges, from medical, to NCM RCAF, to tri force, and finally the officer RCAF. Recently I have been told the one I am wearing is wrong again. The explanation I was given on why I SHOULD be wearing officer cap badge is that I am
1) Air Force element
2) in the Officer career progression (however not commissioned yet) and
3) qualified in a trade.

As I understand this will just be worn until i get the Jimmy after completing the CELE course. If anyone could give some insight on this matter it would be most appreciated.

Offline Khisanth

• Rate Post
Re: Which Cap Badge to wear?
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 12:45:31 »
I just got picked up for CELE myself and will be starting my studies, so take this with a grain of salt (18 years Army NCO). From what I've been told, once you belong to the occupation you can put the Jimmy up on your headdress. You will get your occupation badge once you take your CELE course and that only goes up at that point.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 03:35:01 »
I didn't think there was a requirement to change badges from the NCM (cloth, presumably) and Officer (embroidered) cap badges when one was commissioned, aside from whether you wanted to pay for said badge. 

Most officers do, but I've never seen something requiring someone to buy the RCAF embroidered badge.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2018, 13:50:21 »
I didn't think there was a requirement to change badges from the NCM (cloth, presumably) and Officer (embroidered) cap badges when one was commissioned, aside from whether you wanted to pay for said badge. 

Most officers do, but I've never seen something requiring someone to buy the RCAF embroidered badge.

While it doesn't apply to the OP's situation since he hasn't remained in the same branch (medical) that he was in as an NCM, there are some branches/regiments that have different cap badges for officers vice NCMs (medical being one, the snake on an officer's/CWO's badge is silver, for the rest of NCMs it is gold).

However, what does the book say?
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/pub/ins-265/index-eng.asp
ISSUE POLICY FOR BRANCH/CORPS INSIGNIA

3.  Except as noted below, all personnel shall be issued the following badges on initial enrolment:
a.  the CAF universal-pattern cap badge; and
b.  the appropriate environmental buttons.
4.  There is no universal-pattern collar badge for wear by army personnel on initial enrolment.
5.  The following policy shall govern the issue to personnel of identifying cap and, where applicable, collar badges.
6.  Combat arms (armour, artillery, engineer and infantry) personnel shall receive regimental cap and collar badges in accordance with regimental directives.
7.  Component and Occupational Transfers.  Members who have previously been qualified in their former occupation shall wear the cap badge of their new branch/corps effective on the date of their component or occupational transfer.  Members who were not qualified in their previous occupation shall wear the CAF universal pattern cap badge until they qualify for their new cap badge in accordance with the procedures established by the individual branch advisors.
8.  Direct Entry officers of the RCMS, RCDC, Royal Canadian Chaplain Service and Legal Branch who enroll with all the necessary professional qualifications for the military occupation, shall be issued branch badges immediately upon commissioning.
9.  Personnel commissioned from the ranks to a different CAF environment and issued the uniform of the new environment, shall wear the branch/corps insignia consistent with their new DEU.
10.  Officer Cadets of the Royal Military College of Canada (RMCC), other than UTPNCM cadets, shall wear RMCC badges during the academic year until they are commissioned.  They shall be issued branch badges as appropriate on commencement of military occupation training, for wear only during the period of this training. Upon commissioning, they shall wear the insignia of the branch/corps or regiment to which they are assigned.
11.  Officer Cadets attending civilian academic institutions under a subsidized university education plan (CFAO 210-13 refers), shall be issued branch badges as appropriate on commencement of military occupational training.
12.  UTPNCM cadets shall continue to wear their environmental uniforms, branch/corps or regimental insignia until re-assigned.
13.  ROTP officers who fail to qualify in their military occupation and are retained in the CAF to fulfill obligatory service, shall relinquish their branch/corps or regimental insignia and shall wear the CAF universal pattern cap badge only, until their release.
14.  Members of the Cadet Instructors Cadre (CIC) are issued with their Force components’ insignia, which vary by environment, on enrolment.

The conflicting directions that the OP has received is likely due to confusion in interpreting the highlighted paras above, as well as some downright stupidity on the part of someone who thinks that because someone is wearing an air force blue uniform they should be wearing the Air Ops branch badge.  Unless something has changed the CELE occupation still falls within the C&E branch.

And of course, you are correct that no one is obliged to purchase a fancier version of the issued badge.  Not obliged, just hounded suggested until you do.
16.Senior Officers, Junior Officers, and Non-Commissioned Members
a.  A metal or embroidered branch/corps cap badge and, where appropriate, metal collar badges shall be worn, except as specified in sub-paragraph b.
b.  All senior and junior officers, and all CWOs or equivalent may wear optional wire embroidered versions of their authorized cap badge provided that the badge is identical in both dimension and design and conforms to the approved pattern held by NDHQ/DHH.  Regimental officers and Chief Warrant Officers shall conform to regimental direction.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline danteh

• Rate Post
Cap Badge, OT, BMQ-L Question
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2018, 13:51:26 »
I recently accepted an offer to VOT to MP from Firefighter and I got loaded on a BMQ-L course before my MP QL3s. The joining instructions for the QL3s say I can have the MP cap badge on. My question is because my BMQ-L is first (and 5 months before my QL3s) which cap badge would I wear? The engineer (firefighter) one because i'm trades qualified even tho I am technically not apart of the trade anymore? Or the MP one even tho I havn't done my QL3s yet?

I have asked my supervisors and my clerks and neither had the answer, just alot of "I think"s and I don't know if there is an official document with this answer on it so I'm asking here.

Thanks in advance.

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Cap Badge, OT, BMQ-L Question
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2018, 15:01:25 »
The date your OT takes effect the Thunderbird goes up.

The ref is in the thread I just merged your question with.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 15:04:34 by garb811 »

Offline danteh

• Rate Post
Re: Cap Badge, OT, BMQ-L Question
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2018, 15:17:33 »
The date your OT takes effect the Thunderbird goes up.

The ref is in the thread I just merged your question with.

Thanks alot. Exactly what I was looking for.

Cheers.