Author Topic: The Red Ensign and Historical Canadian Flags thread  (Read 70001 times)

Offline Keir

• Rate Post
Re: The Red Ensign and Historical Canadian Flags thread
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2011, 10:00:25 »
I've made the pilgrimage to Vimy where I was gratified to see the flag the soldiers recognised being honoured whilst Commonwealth war cemeteries in the area had the maple leaf logo being foisted upon them, even when Canadian dead were outnumbered by British. Seen I left Canada I've seen the coat of arms changed to add yet more maple leafs to the design, and the Manitoba flag being considered as candidate for change- probably via design through committee in the same way sports teams change their uniform designs. I feel I've lost my country.
In any event, I teach history about 10 miles from Dachau and cycle the hour to work and back every day with a sewn red ensign, and my classroom is covered in Canadian ensigns- red, blue, Victory loans, etc. Check it out!
http://imperialflags.blogspot.com/2010/01/british-empire-flags.html

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2014, 04:37:39 »
The Maple Leaf flag is still hard to take seriously, almost 50 years on
 Kevin Hampson
18 February 2014

It’s incredible that it’s already been nearly a half-century that the cartoonish Maple Leaf flag has flown over our solemn Parliament buildings. The sight is just as absurd today as it was on Feb. 15, 1965, when the Red Ensign was lowered and that frivolous pop-art was raised in its place.

I can hear the outrage: Treasonous! Unpatriotic! But this is a strange reaction, given that the people who adopted the Maple Leaf were anti-nationalists, and they deliberately chose a flag that was devoid of meaning. 

The adoption of the new flag was part of a larger project, undertaken by the Liberal Party, bureaucrats and public intellectuals, to remove historical symbols from public life and invent a new Canadian identity.

http://www.mayerthorpefreelancer.com/2014/02/18/the-maple-leaf-flag-is-still-hard-to-take-seriously-almost-50-years-on

:orly: Some opinion pieces are hard to take seriously.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2014, 10:54:47 »
The sign of the stupefying stupidity of Mr. Hampson's contention is that as of today, almost 20 days after publication, his op-ed piece has attracted a grand total of - zero - nada - not a single - comment in the viewer's comments section.

I rest our case.

Offline Schindler's Lift

• Rate Post
  • http://goo.gl/1E5Ez0
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2014, 14:29:47 »
Its not even worth disparaging.  lol

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2014, 18:39:23 »
The sign of the stupefying stupidity of Mr. Hampson's contention is that as of today, almost 20 days after publication, his op-ed piece has attracted a grand total of - zero - nada - not a single - comment in the viewer's comments section.

I rest our case.

He does have a good poi........sorry, I can't even type this with a straight face.  The Canadian flag is, IMO, one of the few that can't be mistaken for another country. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Schindler's Lift

• Rate Post
  • http://goo.gl/1E5Ez0
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2014, 19:18:47 »
He does have a good poi........sorry, I can't even type this with a straight face.  The Canadian flag is, IMO, one of the few that can't be mistaken for another country.

Nothing near as bad as Belgium, Romania and Chad.

Offline Rocky Mountains

• Rate Post
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2014, 19:48:59 »
As a side note the Newfoundlanders that fought in WW1 served under the Union Jack as they where part of the Britian at the time.

Untrue - they had the same status as Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

From 1933 to 1949 they reverted to colony status because they were hopelessly bankrupt in the depression.