Author Topic: Coderre: Mo' Troops Needed (But Not Ours)  (Read 1198 times)

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Coderre: Mo' Troops Needed (But Not Ours)
« on: April 15, 2007, 12:14:26 »
Shared with the usual disclaimer...

'NATO needs to send more troops to Kandahar'
Lalit K. Jha, Pahjwok Afghan News, 13 Apr 07
Article link

NEW YORK, Apr 13 (Pajhwok Afghan News): As Canada mourned the death of its eight soldiers in last few days - the deadliest week for Canadian forces in 50 years - the opposition party said NATO members should send more troops to Afghanistan, in particular to the Kandahar region.

As many as 2,500 Canadian forces are based in Kandahar along with that of six other nations.  "The situation on the ground is that the region needs more forces and   equipment," Denis C0dderre, shadow Defense Minister and a former cabinet minister, told Pajhwok Afghan News.

However, he ruled out extending support to any move to send more Canadian forces to Afghanistan, though his Liberal Party, the main opposition, remained committed to supporting the present Canadian mission in Afghanistan till February 2009.

"No additional Canadian troops. But it is time that the other NATO members should send more troops to Afghanistan at the earliest, specially the Kandahar region, which is worst hit this spring," Codderre said.

"We believe NATO countries should do more. We need more troops and soldiers in the field to accompany the government," he said. He was critical of several NATO countries, who are reluctant in sending troops to Afghanistan .

Codderre said his party was with the present government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper on the issue of Afghanistan. He said the war-torn country needed more funds for development.

“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter