Author Topic: Fast Attack Tanker and Small Ship Airpower  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Underway

• Donor
  • Rate Post
Re: Fast Attack Tanker and Small Ship Airpower
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2018, 20:20:48 »
How about consideration for a combo of both?  Put an undercast layer between the IR sensor and target into the equation and your IR is, well, fairly useless really.  RADAR sees thru the slop (or at least, it does better).

We discussed that a bit.  Weather would be an issue for IR.  I fell one really needs to get to the calculations to look at designs and their trade offs.

I personally think a AESA built into UAV's skin with a ball mounted EO/IR for RMP would be the best way to go.  Multitask AEW and RMP UAV.  You get the best of both and free up the Cyclone to do its main job and protect the TG from subs.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 21:29:51 »
6 inch or 12 inch?  Sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2018, 22:06:53 »
We discussed that a bit.  Weather would be an issue for IR.  I fell one really needs to get to the calculations to look at designs and their trade offs.

I personally think a AESA built into UAV's skin with a ball mounted EO/IR for RMP would be the best way to go.  Multitask AEW and RMP UAV.  You get the best of both and free up the Cyclone to do its main job and protect the TG from subs.

If there was room/weight to spare, you could also put an ESM suite on it and really increase the ESM horizon...

How hard/easy is it to incorporate the 'feeds' into already exists 'stations' on a modern frigate? 
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 11:49:37 »
Here's an old idea for using the Cyclone in a similar capacity, with a Lockheed Vigilance Pod (which were never built but were designed for the Crowsnest competition).

For Cyclones deployed on the new CSC that's an interesting idea. However, I doubt a modded Helo would fit thru the hangar doors on a CPF. There isn't much room between the sponson and the door rail.
Just because an opinion differs doesn't make it any less valid. Remember those who gave their ALL to guarantee freedom of speech.