Author Topic: Canadian Forces Auto Insurance  (Read 60061 times)

Offline jerv41

• Rate Post
Canadian Forces Auto Insurance
« on: May 23, 2007, 12:26:32 »
I recently read on DND that we qualify for home and auto insurance.

http://www.cfpsa.com/en/CANEX/services_e/insurance_e.html

Anyone use the CF auto insurance provider?

If so, is it worth it?

LIVE ARMOURED DIE ARMOURED

Offline scoutfinch

• Groovy...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Canadian Forces Auto Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 12:43:04 »
These policies are underwritten by The Personal. 

In my opinion, this company has a good claims record.  I would have no problem taking out a policy with The Personal.  But like anything else, you get what you pay for.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke

Offline Mr. Bumpy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Bump in the Night
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 12:48:12 »
Let's just say Olga Chekhova is an expert in this field.
I make things go Bump in the Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBlFHuCzPgY

Offline EME421

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 12:54:10 »
I have used the Personal for about 15 years and have had nothing but great service from them and believe me I had to use them on several occasions

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 12:56:12 »
I don't know about their claims, but being in the "discriminated against" group (men under 25), The Personal gave me one of the highest quotes I received. I don't have the exact numbers, but it was around 4000$ per year; the insurance I ended up getting was 2500$ with the same deductible, etc.

Unless their claims record is somehow spotless and they give you a new car within 15 minutes of you having an accident... shop around, you'll get a much better deal.
My posts are my opinion alone and do not reflect any other person or group's opinion... because you can't handle the truth, and deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to say these things.

Offline scoutfinch

• Groovy...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 12:59:18 »
FreddyG:

Underwriting and claims are two different things.  You obviously know nothing about either other than your personal experience. 

Kindly stay in your lane.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke

Offline BestodaBest

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 13:00:48 »
I have a couple friends in the CF who are currently insured by the Personal, and they've had nothing but good things to say about them. They shopped around, and the Personal beat quite a few other company's by a decent about, in terms of annual payments. I've had a quote done myself, and im thinking about switching from my current company.
"Out of commission, become a pillbox. Out of ammo, become a bunker. Out of time, become heroes."   -Beast of War, 1988

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 13:24:03 »
FreddyG:

Underwriting and claims are two different things.  You obviously know nothing about either other than your personal experience. 

Kindly stay in your lane.

You obviously didn't read my post. I said they might be good on the claims side, but they charge too much compared to other insurers. Kindly stop antagonizing me by twisting my words and personally attacking me.

Most drivers I know personally, who are in the military, have avoided The Personal because almost all of them are men under 25, and they got better deals elsewhere.
My posts are my opinion alone and do not reflect any other person or group's opinion... because you can't handle the truth, and deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to say these things.

Offline jerv41

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 13:29:52 »
lol....i did the quote....for a $2000 car they want to charge me 4000$ a year......doesn't it just suck being a 16 year old
LIVE ARMOURED DIE ARMOURED

Offline Mr. Bumpy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Bump in the Night
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 13:34:57 »
You obviously didn't read my post. I said they might be good on the claims side, but they charge too much compared to other insurers. Kindly stop antagonizing me by twisting my words and personally attacking me.

Most drivers I know personally, who are in the military, have avoided The Personal because almost all of them are men under 25, and they got better deals elsewhere.

Not to stir the pot. But I did save when I switched to Personal. House and auto for me.
I make things go Bump in the Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBlFHuCzPgY

Offline retiredgrunt45

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 13:40:12 »
Ah the young driver and insurance, my 21 year old daughter just shopped around for insurance and of all the companies the personal gave her the best quote. Something to do with having a DDC course and having being taught how to drive by a professional driving school. I taught our oldest how to drive and I swore i wouldn't do the same with our younger one, so we enrolled her in drivers-Ed in her last two years of high school. Now its paying of with cheaper insurance rates for her.

Young males between the ages of 18 and 26 always have the highest premiums.

I have used the personal over the past 15 years since our return from Germany in 92 for my vehicles and they are by far the cheapest. I have had 2 accidents and have nothing but wonderful things to say about the way my claims were handled. Courteous, expedient, and very friendly. And not to mention, when you hit 45 with a good driving record, how your rates drop like a stone.
The first goal of any political party is to stay in power by whatever means possible. Their second goal is to fool us into believing that we should keep them in power.

A politician is like a used car saleman, he'll promise you a "peach" and then turn around and sell you a "lemon"

"Politicians are like diapers, they have to be changed often because their usually full of crap.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 19:20:09 »
Home and Auto with the Personal, best rates around for a mid-age guy with clean driving record, DDC and drivers ed course on record.  Also experienced v.good settling of claims (others at fault in all cases) for both my wife and me.

2 more ยข

G2G

Offline youravatar

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 19:34:06 »
They also had good rates for a friend of mine, and he was in the so called "discriminated group". He payed $80/month on his MX-6.

Offline BestodaBest

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 19:48:13 »
They also had good rates for a friend of mine, and he was in the so called "discriminated group". He payed $80/month on his MX-6.

Sorry Avatar,

But i gotta call b/s on this one... there's no way in heck your friend is only paying $80/month for his MX-6... especially if he's in the "discriminated group". You might wanna recheck those figures with your buddy.
"Out of commission, become a pillbox. Out of ammo, become a bunker. Out of time, become heroes."   -Beast of War, 1988

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 19:55:13 »
Sorry Avatar,

But i gotta call b/s on this one... there's no way in heck your friend is only paying $80/month for his MX-6... especially if he's in the "discriminated group". You might wanna recheck those figures with your buddy.

The only way someone could pay so little is if they insure one-way (not sure what the English term is; basically your insurance would only cover the other driver's car, and you have to pay for the repairs on your own vehicle).

Offline youravatar

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2007, 20:00:21 »
Well yea. The policy was bare bones, but still, that's what he said he was paying.

Offline BestodaBest

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 20:04:40 »
that just seems rediculously under-priced...but if it happens to be true, thats pretty awesome. And i think the term is "Liability" or "Collateral"... somethin like that, lol...

Offline youravatar

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 21:13:38 »
Is it not deductable?

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 21:54:03 »
That doesn't seem unreasonable...I'm paying $85/month for a 540i 4.0L 6-sp with $500 deductible and $2M 3rd party....sure I'm out of the "threat band" now, but my rates weren't much worse when I was in the "heavy duty discrimination zone"...

G2G

Offline Not_So_Arty_Newbie

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 23:43:59 »
and keep in mind the "discriminated group" isn't done so without statistics to back it up, the most "at risk" drivers in this country are in the 19-24 age group, just out of high school, allowed to drink, buy a car with too much engine and so on. (18 in some provinces) I know I did at that age (aside from the booze and driving part) however there are some provinces (BC for example) where having dangly bits means squat. Graduated licensing has done away with it, a brand-new driver pays the same rate whether 19 or 50 (dependant on where in the province you live, they have regional rate codes) Until of course they flip they're mazarati with 5 people in it doing 150 in a 80 and kill all 5. Please take this with a grain of salt from a guy whose first ever insurance payment was higher than his car payment (without accidents)

Offline Kirsten Luomala

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 10:52:34 »
I tried the personnal when moved to NB 4 years ago.  At that time I was 34 yr old female with 2 vehicles and only 1 accident.  No tickets nothing else.  The personnal want over $5000 per year.  The company we went with only charged us $1600 per year and gives us great coverage. (it was the same company as when we had our accident and at that time gave us excellent support).  I've owned vehicles since '92 always while in the military and have found the personnal NOT to be the best provider.  But that is just my experience.  Not saying they are a bad company or the worst rates.  Just for me, I would never use them.
Kirsten

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 09:55:44 »
And not to mention, when you hit 45 with a good driving record, how your rates drop like a stone.

Oh goody, only three more years..... :D

I have used The Personal ever since 1997 when I purchased my first car (in Canada).  At the time, I was 32 and The Co-Operators insurance wanted to charge me $3200/year like a brand new driver since I had never been insured under my own name (only under my ex-husband's).  I went through the Personal who contacted my former insurance agent and got the info required to give me the insurance rate more suitable to my driving record/experience.  Not to mention, you don't have to change companies when moving province to province (as you would if you are insured with a local company).  On my one and only claim, I had no problems and because it was a hit and run and investigated by police, my premiums did not increase.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Jager

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 11:46:36 »
I'm currently with State Farm paying $88.16 (1060 Per year aprox) per month for full comprehensive coverage (as required by my car loan) on a 2007 Nissan Titan King Cab....... And I'm 21 Years old, and have been driving since 16 (full license, Alberta....). I just called the Personal, and they quoted me 946 and change (78-80$/month aprox) per year, so not much of a savings, but amazing since I'm in the 'zone'.... Though no speeding tickets, etc.
VELOX VERSUTUS VIGILANS
" Private ....you are a piece of Sh!t............just kidding........................maybe."

Offline Rheostatic

• Rate Post
  • Don't shoot the messenger
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 14:53:47 »
I've been insured with The Personal for three years now. When I was shopping for insurance I was under 25, and the rate I got with The Personal was significantly less than the quotes I got from every other provider.

Offline UK2CA

• Rate Post
  • Corps of RCEME
    • REME
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 15:55:50 »
I'm scratching my head here - why is the insurance in Canada is so expensive?

Without wishing to generalise, your roads are a decent size, most vehicles are auto and the streets aren't gridlocked with traffic - as low a risk of accidents as you could get as far as I can see.  ???

Here in the UK the roads are half the size and driving is like Wacky Races, i.e. traffic is horrendous.  I drive what would be considered the equivalent of a Dodge Caravan and I pay the equivalent of C$450 a year for full cover with a deductable of CS300.

I guess I've got a shock coming if and when I get there.....lol  :o
'By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.' - Benjamin Franklin