Author Topic: Berets and How to Form Them  (Read 169147 times)

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Berets and How to Form Them
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2003, 18:14:00 »
Korus, you being smart?? Do your time, earn 12 years in then get yourself a Canadian Decoration.  If you are dedicated enough, you can earn a rosette to add to it after another ten years, and keep adding for every ten years after that.  I think the people that wear those decorations have definetly earned them.  If you are going to make fun of awards and decorations, earn some first.

Bzz
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2003, 20:19:00 »
Whats the canadian decoration medal?
Is that what you get you serving 10 years, so long as your not charged with a serious offense?
(Refered to as the CD)?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline ~RoKo~

• Living the dream. I think...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2003, 21:00:00 »
I agree with you on the CD having been earned by those who wear it. I was pretty much just poking fun at my being an FNG and the "Amended CF medals" list..
+300

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2003, 22:04:00 »
Ghost, yes I was referring to the CD, but as mentioned here, it is twelve years of service to qualify.

"The Canadian Forces Decoration is awarded to officers and Non-Commisioned Members of the Canadian Forces who have completed twelve years of service. The medal is awarded to all ranks, who must have a good record of conduct during the final eight years of claimed service."
 http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/honours_awards/engraph/honour_awards_e.asp?cat=3&Q_ID=73

Korus, being a FNG is okay, but if that "amended medals" list had been posted here, maybe your joke would have been funnier.

Bzz
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

humint

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2003, 10:59:00 »
Bzzltyr,

When‘s the yard sale?   :D  

Cheers, Humint

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2003, 12:35:00 »
Geez, I forgot to mention my rubber boots, combat, and my rubber boots, dress.  Not to mention the rubber slippers for the mukluks and my two pairs of matterhorn boots for orthopedic reasons.

Two sleeping bags, one liner, one bivvy bag, one ranger blanket, air matress, and sleeping bag hood.  One rucksack, one set of webbing... three military handkercheifs, one scarf.... if anything else comes to mind, I will post it..

No yard sale yet, this is all signed for at Clothing Stores!!

Bzz
Adsum

Offline portcullisguy

• Rate Post
  • Border Services Officer
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2003, 18:41:00 »
On the medals topic for a sec:

I am curious to know why the CD (combat deficient, as I have heard it referred to) was instituted with a relatively low limit of 12 years?  Is this because service is voluntary and contracts are short?  In Britain, joining the army means a 21 year commitment, normally.  After a good portion of those years, you may qualify for a long service medal, which is simply called that, a "Long Service Medal" for the service you are in.

What‘s more, our CD is open to both commissioned ranks, and NCM‘s.  I looked in to nominating my uncle (retired Lt-Cdr, Royal Navy) for a medal of some kind, and discovered that he doesn‘t even qualify for a long service medal, in spite of having over 21 years active service (including combat ... 1982, Falklands), plus 4 years reserve service.  Why?  Because long service with good conduct medals are only awarded to non-commissioned ranks!  Perhaps "good conduct" is an expectation of officers, and it does not need to be rewarded?

Back on the subject of berets, I will be wearing my crap hat until at least August 14 this year, when my Infantry MOC finishes (assuming I am on the course).  So any tops are making it look better are like gold.  Right now the flap comes down over my right ear, due mainly to the beret being too large by about 1/4 size.  I‘m gonna try the clothes dryer, but I fear a fuzz-bomb afterwards.
portcullisguy

non dormiverit gladius meus - dileas gu brath

48 Highrs

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt!
    • CANUCK
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2003, 19:52:00 »
To understand the CD, you have to look at earlier medals like the VD, ED, etc., from all three services, that the CD effectively replaced.
"So, how's your sister?" -Brigadef├╝hrer Hermann Fegelein

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com
 http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com

Offline ~RoKo~

• Living the dream. I think...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Personal Text:
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2003, 20:37:00 »
I ran mine through the wash, but it didn‘t seem to help too much. It shrank the leather more than the wool. The flap is almost as long as it was before, and I couldn‘t get any circulation my scalp until the leather band stretched back a bit.

It did get fuzzy/linty, but I just took a razor and some masking take to it again.

Stakhanov

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2004, 22:55:00 »
Just got my kit issued to me today, and I have to go to work tomorrow, but that beret is @)*(#& hard to form correctly, and get it to stay.  My friend told me to get it wet, form it, and leave it until it dries and that works best, but that seems a little extreme.  :p .  It doesnt look too bad now, would just like any suggestions on keeping it formed properly, and getting it that way without too much hassle  :) .

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2004, 23:05:00 »
Do what your friend said.  Wear it in the shower (or soak it in hot water).  The hot water helps loosen the fabric. Form it then allow it to dry.  Sometimes the liner (the black fabric inside) happens to "fall out". With that liner out it is easier to form.

PriceCHofO

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2004, 23:06:00 »
Place it in a sink of warm water. Soak it 2 minutes. Put it on your head, shape it, wear it till it‘s dry.

You might want to wait until after your basic starts, in case your instructors disapprove, but cut your liner out as well. Makes it easier to shape.

Stakhanov

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2004, 23:19:00 »
Thanks  :) , will do

Offline *CDN*Blackhawk

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2004, 23:49:00 »
I had the worst time forming my Beret, i think part of it was because they issues me a beret that was way to big, the fold went down past the bottom of my ear...lol.
Pro Patria

Offline portcullisguy

• Rate Post
  • Border Services Officer
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2004, 23:01:00 »
I didn‘t really care what my beret looked like through BMQ, SQ and BIQ.  I knew it was coming off permanently after BIQ, in exchange for much more fashionable (in my opinion) headdress ... the balmoral.

That said, I did exactly what was suggested, to get it looking at least not "new".  I soaked in water, and sometimes would have to do it again a few weeks later as it went back to it‘s original crap shape.

Mine was also way too big, and the flap came down way over my ear.  Oh well!  It‘s hardly functional headdress anyway.

My advice -- join a Highland regiment.  A balmoral at least keeps the sun and rain out of your eyes a bit.   ;)
portcullisguy

non dormiverit gladius meus - dileas gu brath

48 Highrs

lostgrenadier

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2004, 02:45:00 »
Originally posted by The_Falcon:
[qb] Do what your friend said.  Wear it in the shower (or soak it in hot water).  The hot water helps loosen the fabric. Form it then allow it to dry.  Sometimes the liner (the black fabric inside) happens to "fall out". With that liner out it is easier to form. [/qb]
Do what the falcon says, lose the liner, get it wet,and form it on your head. Then wait for it to dry. Drink while you wait, you‘ll be amazed at how the time goes by, lostgrenadier

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2004, 03:39:00 »
Oh well! It‘s hardly functional headdress anyway.
Tell that to the Royal Marines dismounting at Basra wearing their green berets....

Don‘t bother forming your beret at all.  I want to see someone wearing an unformed beret that looks like a chef hat, it would be good for a chuckle.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Superman

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2004, 03:47:00 »
Seen that already... haha it was quite funny

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2004, 05:01:00 »
u may want to take a look at me then. I‘ve formed my beret 3 times, once in the shower and twice in a mixing bowl of hot water. The flap STILL sticks straight out the side and looks like a wing.
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

Offline Farmboy

• Rate Post
  • Provider of quality gear
    • One Shot Tactical Supply
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2004, 12:33:00 »
Hot water, then stick on your head and form the way you want it, leave it on your head to dry.

When it is almost dry spray with hair spray.

I hate the way the liners just fall out as well.

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2004, 12:36:00 »
You want a REAL solution.  Just spend the 20 bucks and order a Belgian-style beret off the internet (PPCLI kitshop has ‘em).

Not only is the material better (and all the same colour), but the band is cloth, rather than leather, so it does not crack and peel.  The issue beret looks like dog s**t.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline archer

• Rate Post
  • Strictly the renovations' guy.
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2004, 13:06:00 »
Originally posted by Infanteer:
[qb] You want a REAL solution.  Just spend the 20 bucks and order a Belgian-style beret off the internet (PPCLI kitshop has ‘em).

Not only is the material better (and all the same colour), but the band is cloth, rather than leather, so it does not crack and peel.  The issue beret looks like dog s**t. [/qb]
Will instructors or superior‘s care if you‘re using the Belgian style of Beret?

Offline XHighlander

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2004, 13:07:00 »
i found the easy way was:

1. get the liner out (pos)

2. get it very wet two or three times to remove any thing in the wool

3. once you have it formed just right

place it on the floor with a piece of wood over the fold and place some bricks on it for at least a week when you remove the weight it should be perfect.

at least thats the way i used to do it

Offline BOOMER004

• Rate Post
  • 75th Mississauga
    • http://n
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2004, 22:35:00 »
After you cut the liner out soak it in hot water form it let it dry. Then take a razor and shave all the fuzzy bits off. Martha Stewart calls it "Antiquing" That way it will not attract as many stole away dust bunnies.
It is easier to get forgiveness than permission

D-n-A

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2004, 23:11:00 »
Originally posted by R.C.R.:
[qb]  
Originally posted by Infanteer:
[qb] You want a REAL solution.  Just spend the 20 bucks and order a Belgian-style beret off the internet (PPCLI kitshop has ‘em).

Not only is the material better (and all the same colour), but the band is cloth, rather than leather, so it does not crack and peel.  The issue beret looks like dog s**t. [/qb]
Will instructors or superior‘s care if you‘re using the Belgian style of Beret? [/qb]
when you go on your BMQ, stick with the issued beret, but after you can wear the belgian beret, which is better like infanteer said