Author Topic: A few questions before I head for BMQ  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Brockvegas

• Rate Post
  • Time to fend off the wolves.
A few questions before I head for BMQ
« on: June 14, 2007, 22:52:18 »
Hey all, I did my CFAT along with 7 others the other day. We were told that we all passed the qualifications for our chosen positions(ie. infantry, armour, etc), but only 3 of us were given conditional offers. I assumed that this means I exceeded the minimum requirements by quite a bit (ie. did well on the testing) but I want to make sure I'm correct in that assumtion.

Secondly, and more importantly, will being left-handed pose any problems for me in training? I guess what I'm most concernes with is the weapons training and kit, like getting issued a right-handed holster for the sidearm, or the bolt operation of the rifle.

The only reason I bring this up is that I've been brought up with firearms and hunted since a young age, and left-handed or ambidextrous firearms and accesories are hard to find. Oh, and hitting yourself in the face with hot brass isn't fun either.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, I've already learned quite a bit from other threads in this section that I think everyone joining the forces should know. Thanks.
"In this life there are sheep, and there are wolves. Each has it's own job to do, so long as they both remember who the sheppard is."

Offline airmich

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: A few questions before I head for BMQ
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 07:45:55 »
Secondly, and more importantly, will being left-handed pose any problems for me in training? I guess what I'm most concernes with is the weapons training and kit, like getting issued a right-handed holster for the sidearm, or the bolt operation of the rifle.

The 'search' function on the forums is a great tool.  Typing in "left hand" brought up all kinds of threads that might answer some of your questions such as this, this or even this.

Try the same with your CFAT and offer questions, there is lots of information already out there. Another suggestion for you, for future posts, is to ensure your subject is a bit more specific, it will help others in future searches, and you might get more answers as well.
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline Brockvegas

• Rate Post
  • Time to fend off the wolves.
Re: A few questions before I head for BMQ
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 20:21:14 »
Hey Airmich, thanks. I never thought to search the airforce (or navy) forums for the left-handed thing. I had forgotten that all branches take the same BMQ. Thanks for the links.
"In this life there are sheep, and there are wolves. Each has it's own job to do, so long as they both remember who the sheppard is."