Author Topic: anyone else have to gain weight?  (Read 34257 times)

Offline NJL

• Rate Post
Re: anyone else have to gain weight?
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 00:32:10 »
well i bought the strawberry one, used it with water and with milk
and its honestly the worst thing i have ever tasted

that's odd, I've tasted alot worse lol.. I enjoy the taste of the strawberry flavored whey powder mixed w/milk (water not as good)... I've tired the chocolate, didn't like it as much... make sure you're mixing them up well (my magic bullet blender works great- makes them nice and smooth) also adding things (berries, etc) might help.. try different flavors until you find a favorite, or talk to GNC clerk for any tips/ what brands they recommend.

Offline CfVet1r

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2007, 23:39:24 »
I was 147lbs in January and I am 6.2" now I weigh 175lbs so ive gained 28lbs in just about 7 months.
An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind.

Offline felboisse

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 00:21:19 »
well i bought the strawberry one, used it with water and with milk
and its honestly the worst thing i have ever tasted

It all depends on the brand, i personally recommend Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Protein Gold Standard (hope this is not against the forum rules...). It tastes great and is regarded by the fitness industry as one of the best if not the best whey protein.

Offline CfVet1r

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 13:10:31 »
It all depends on the brand, i personally recommend Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Protein Gold Standard (hope this is not against the forum rules...). It tastes great and is regarded by the fitness industry as one of the best if not the best whey protein.

I know that the Chocolate 1 from Costco is great  :blotto:

Offline NJL

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 23:58:53 »

I second that.. this is the only brand I use.. the strawberry is great.. like i said earlier...powder plus milk= tastes like a milkshake. try it out or go to your local GNC and ask some questions.

Offline CfVet1r

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 12:58:20 »
Another time I tried my cousins protein shake and I swear it just wouldn't mix properly, I would end up drinking chunks of whey lol...

Anyways, It's amazing what you can get used to in the name of gaining weight!

My only advice to you if you are still trying to gain wait, oh poster of this topic!

4 eggs with cheese on top cooked well with 1/4 pack of bacon, 2-3 toast and a tall glass of chocolate milk EVERY morning, followed by a protein shake your sure to gain weight like me  :blotto: I was 147 at 6.2" now I am 174 at 6.2" my goal is 185 by Christmas so it would have been 1 year since 147lbs anyways, just food for thought  ^-^

No pun intended.

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 13:26:59 »
Another time I tried my cousins protein shake and I swear it just wouldn't mix properly, I would end up drinking chunks of whey lol...

Anyways, It's amazing what you can get used to in the name of gaining weight!

My only advice to you if you are still trying to gain wait, oh poster of this topic!

4 eggs with cheese on top cooked well with 1/4 pack of bacon, 2-3 toast and a tall glass of chocolate milk EVERY morning, followed by a protein shake your sure to gain weight like me  :blotto: I was 147 at 6.2" now I am 174 at 6.2" my goal is 185 by Christmas so it would have been 1 year since 147lbs anyways, just food for thought  ^-^

No pun intended.

The exact same recipe for a triple bypass when you are 25.

Offline CfVet1r

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 15:31:55 »
nothing wrong with that Quag

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 17:44:51 »
Ya I guess eh?  Free healthcare and all right?... ;D

But in all honesty, the secret to putting on weight is no secret at all.  It's just complex science.  It's alot more than just saying eat more calories than you burn.  The reason for this is because your body has an internal equillibrium and will adjust to increase your metabolism to try to keep your weight consistent.  You need to a do a lot of reading if you are a "hard gainer" and have to be able to beat your body at its own game. 

There is a plethora of books on the subject, just depends on how technical you want to go.  And just know that putting on weight is half the battle, keeping it on is equally as hard.

Cheers

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 18:31:30 »
Oh, please, just go get PREGNANT!!  You'll never get the weight off after!!  ;)
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 18:48:28 »
Oh, please, just go get PREGNANT!!  You'll never get the weight off after!!  ;)

Why get pregnant? Everyone knows women start gaining weight as soon as they get married!
My posts are my opinion alone and do not reflect any other person or group's opinion... because you can't handle the truth, and deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to say these things.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 18:53:36 »
Why get pregnant? Everyone knows women start gaining weight as soon as they get married!

Just women?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Joe Bloe

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 19:36:39 »
I weighed around 135 pounds about 6 months ago and I'm 6 foot tall. Of course that was before I stared working out and taking whey protein. I don't know how much I weigh now (I don't have a bathroom scale) but in my opinion the whey powder really helped me as I have high metabolism.
If the whey powder won't mix well then I would suggest the following: first scoop the whey powder into a one liter water bottle (screw on top not squeeze top) then pour about 300 ml of milk on top, screw on the lid quickly and start shaking it right away, shake for a minute or two vigorously. If you don't start to shake it right away the powder will have time to congeal and form lumps. I use 300 ml of milk for a 30 gram scoop of whey protein. that is word for word how I prepare my protein drink.

I apologize if I was too specific.

BTW: use milk it tastes horrible if you use water.

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 19:41:01 »

Remarks like that will ensure you remain single for years to come......

To the other folks on this thread, my hubby went into Basic (at age 25) at 165 lbs (5'10") and came out at about 205 lbs.......all muscle.  Don't forget that at different ages, your metabolism changes.  Be careful of the habits you pick up now, as they may come back to "haunt" you later in life.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 19:43:46 by PMedMoe »
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 19:58:11 »
Be careful of the habits you pick up now, as they may come back to "haunt" you later in life.

One of my friends just had a kidney pull the plug on him.  The docs said his 8 years of "safe supplements" (creatine, protein, glutamine etc...) were the major contributor to his taxed and eventually failed kidney.

If your body is meant to be 120, 160 or 200 lbs. let it be.  It's funny because the 200 lbs plus people wish they were skinnier, and the 140 lbs people wish they were of more substance.  I guess thats why we have plastic surgery...We are never happy with who we truly are 8)

Offline CfVet1r

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 10:20:00 »
We are never happy with who we truly are 8)

Speak for your self, HAH. ;D

Offline Agent Zero

• Hiabachi 1st Class
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2007, 15:10:04 »
I was told by a current CF member that most of the skinnier people who go into BMQ usually come out a bit heavier/muscular.

As long as you are in shape, as what I have been told, your weight shouldn't really be too much of a concern (unless you are too underweight, as according to the BMI chart).
"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure."

"If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier."

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell

Offline Rick Ruter

• Rick Ruter! Get it???
  • Rate Post
  • Griffon over iceberg off coast of NL
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2007, 18:07:26 »
When I did my BMQ I was 5'8 and 155 - 165lbs. Stayed at that weight and hauld my sh...for about 10 years but then I decided to gain some mass. Now I'm 5'7 3/4 (age!!!) and 195lbs with 33 waist. I feel great and never took protein shakes or any other ''aid'' to get there. I whent up to 206lbs in Bosnia but then I had to buy a new Mess kit so I decided to loose 10lbs.

Just stop looking at the 110lbs dumbels thinking it's just the big guys that use them. Set yourself a goal weight to press on the bench and do it. You'll get big in no time. Use a spotter though.

BTW, you can eat what you want as long as it's in moderation and you workout regularily. I mix weight training with runnig 3x week and swimming. It keeps the tire away 'cause age trades height for width.
Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."

Offline PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2007, 18:20:40 »
unless you are too underweight, as according to the BMI chart

The CF doesn't use the BMI anymore.
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Agent Zero

• Hiabachi 1st Class
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2007, 18:31:16 »
The CF doesn't use the BMI anymore.

I meant amongst personal standards, the BMI is good to help with some peoples goals in losing or gaining weight.
"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure."

"If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading it in English, thank a soldier."

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." --George Orwell

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2007, 18:51:54 »
Personally I find the BMI confusing and innaccurate.  I guess it goes by your body type.  It seems the BMI is good for some body types, but misleading for many others (if not most)

Offline Alejandro

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2009, 23:40:46 »
I have the exact same question! Although mine is as to being underweight or rather "skinny" would automatically disqualify you. currently i'm 16, around 115-120 and 5,9. i've been working out regularly for the better part of 2 years and have gained a large amount of muscle tone when compared to my old self. I can do all of the BMQ tests, with easily going over 20+ pushups, situps in the 50's per minute and my running endurance is quite well. but would they just shaft me for being too skinny to be of use?

Also if you're wondering i'm aiming for Armoured Soldier in the KOCR. I couldn't get my high school transcripts by the summer so I have to wait for the fall training.

Offline traviss-g

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2009, 00:06:27 »
Hey, I'm 5'9 and about 120-125 and according to the RC I am medically fit, so I don't think it is too much of a worry so long as you can do the push-ups, chin-ups, ruck marches and all that. I'm trying to join Infantry by the way.
"The good die first"
  "The child is father of the man" -William Wordsworth
"Early to bed and early to rise, Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise." -Benjamin Franklin
Non sum pisces

Offline j0hn_r1

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2009, 03:28:30 »
I have this "problem" as well...

I feel I'm underweight abit, and have a hard time gaining. My diet isn't a strictly monitored one, but I eat somewhat "regularly" and "healthy". I do "eat-out" too (3-5 meals/week)...

I'm 5'10", 140lbs... My BMI is 20, within the 20-25 "normal" range (which for my height is between 140-175lbs). And I smoke, but want to quit.

* for shits-n-giggles I tried doing some push-ups and sit-ups tonite, no practice just do as many as I could consecutively...

P-ups = stopped after 25, and able to do 10-15 more no doubt...
S-ups = hesitated after 6-7, but got the knot out of my stomach and pulled off 25 with some gas left...

:o

** I also pulled up google-maps and mapped a perfect 2.4km route from my doorstep. I'll try it tomorow...
"I thought my Ashbury was chambered for .338LM... Turns out its chambered for $5 bills..."

People are free to post, and discuss, what they want, subject to the guidelines.

Offline Doomed

• No Title
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2009, 21:11:59 »
P-ups = stopped after 25, and able to do 10-15 more no doubt...
S-ups = hesitated after 6-7, but got the knot out of my stomach and pulled off 25 with some gas left...

** I also pulled up google-maps and mapped a perfect 2.4km route from my doorstep. I'll try it tomorow...

How does this help him in gaining weight? I had the same exact problem for about. what a year? i was 6'3" at 148lbs I did my Medical and such the first time. And yes they did reject me for weight related reasons. to counter that I gained weight. I'm 190 at 6'3" now. To do this, I had to cut out my intense cardio, and move up to strictly weight lifting for about 6 months, and eat lots of mcdonalds (that sky rocketed my blood pressure) Now, I'm getting ready to get on that plane. Really can't wait. Weight wise it shouldn't really matter. Unless of course there is a flag that gets raised here or there... Reason why the flag was risen for me in 5 months i lost 100 lbs do the math.

I think you should be fine. If you're worried cut out some of the cardio and work on doing some weight lifting.