Author Topic: PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019  (Read 830984 times)

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019
« Reply #1475 on: April 05, 2017, 22:33:46 »
I may be mistaken on this one but I believe the treasury board regs require all GC removable media to be encrypted.

True, however, TB regs also state :

Only on an exception basis, as per departmental / agency risk tolerance and with formal departmental / agency approval, may unencrypted GC information be stored on a non-password or non-biometric controlled portable data storage device

And the department of National defense makes such an exception:

Can't find it off DWAN. Anyways, the policy from ADM(IM) is pretty much verbatim what the TB policy is, but it adds a para that reads something like: " portable data storage devices, if not intended to contain classified material, are not required to be encrypted".

I can paste it tomorrow but essentially, if I can store  a hard copy PROB  file in my filing cabinet, why can't I store a PROB USB key containing unencrypted PROB files in the same filing cabinet?

Don't even get me started on storing encrypted PROB files on hard drive...
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1476 on: April 05, 2017, 22:48:07 »
It's worth consulting the DGDS website (DWAN only) for security regulations; I believe that some have been rewritten.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1477 on: April 06, 2017, 08:51:57 »
According to MARPAC IS security orders, if you store PROB information on a USB stick unencrypted, you store the USB key in a PROB cabinet just like all your other PROB file. If, however, the PROB information is encrypted, then you can store the USB stick in the same manner as a PROA file.

Now that's just one Formation in the RCN; other elements might have different policies, but the policy makes sense to me. Why would we have to lock up and encrypt electronic information when the hardcopies are only locked up?
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!