Author Topic: British Military Current Events  (Read 1021343 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Re: British Military Current Events
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2007, 22:59:18 »
Re-thinking Afghan reconstruction 
By Chris Morris
BBC News, Kabul 

While some of the tens of thousands of foreign troops based in Afghanistan are fighting against the Taleban, others are involved in rebuilding and developing the country's infrastructure. But a debate is starting to emerge about whether the current strategy of reconstruction is becoming a hindrance.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/7016825.stm

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2007, 19:29:45 »
Heh... the Canadian zone is a nice "canadian red"..... bummer... Oh that it could be green.

Regarldess of what everyone says, reconstruction MUST happen.
Hope must be provided - regardless of how robust our troops must be.

Afghans must be provided with hope & oportunities. Without em, we'll be at it in a 100 years.
Chimo!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2007, 07:50:47 »
Now, isn't that a complete black eye to the soldiers who are expected to fight the fight while the bureaucrats sharpen their pencils.

FOR SHAME!!
Chimo!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2007, 09:25:28 »
From a Brit...

Being British is about driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a
        Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a
        Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows
        on a Japanese TV.

And the most British thing of all?

Suspicion of anything foreign.

3 Brits die each year testing if a 9v battery works on their tongue.

142 Brits were injured in 1999 by not removing all pins from new shirts.

58 Brits are injured each year by using sharp knives instead of
        screwdrivers.

31 Brits have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while the
        fairy lights were plugged in.

19 Brits have died in the last 3 years believing that Christmas
        decorations were chocolate.

British Hospitals reported 4 broken arms last year after cracker
        pulling accidents.

101 people since 1999 have had broken parts of plastic toys pulled out
        of the soles of their feet.

18 Brits had serious burns in 2000 trying on a new jumper with a lit
        cigarette in their mouth.

A massive 543 Brits were admitted to A&E in the last two
        years after opening bottles of beer with their teeth.

5 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out of Control
        Scalextric cars.

and finally.........

In 2000 eight Brits cracked their skull whilst throwing up into the
        toilet.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2007, 09:45:17 »
4 broken arms in "cracker pulling" accidents - WOW, they musta been some powerful crackers provided by the Guns

8 cracked skulls? - yeah - will believe that.

543 Brits with dental problems after attempting to open bottles with their teeth?
yeah - these are the same guys that would try to pull a grenade pin out with their teeth.

:)
Chimo!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2007, 08:03:30 »
well, this is a question that we've been asking ourselves over the last few years.
Pert much out of the arms manufacturing business at this point.
Chimo!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2007, 01:17:42 »

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2007, 01:51:12 »
...The trouble is, a lot of our stuff is not actually that good. Professional soldiers will tell you in private that the best kit is made by the Israelis, the South Africans and the Russians. Our boys in Basra and Helmand might be better off with foreign-made stuff that actually works....

From the Spectator article on British armaments -

Please see latest thread on the efforts of CTS to deliver a rucksack...."Professional soldiers" will tell you many things.

A peculiarity of the current weapons deployed seems to be that all weapons producing nations have good pieces of kit and bits of crap - much like cars I have owned.  The good news is that we can buy good stuff if the bad stuff doesn't work  - assuming reasonably intelligent bureaucrats.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2007, 13:49:32 »
Patton always seems to have a quote applicable to me:

"Soldiers are always contrary. I could issue them coats without buttons and I will bet that within twenty four hours they would find some, sew them on, and keep them buttoned." Gen G.S Patton

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2007, 17:32:55 »
Norman Binnall 89 years old from Burnham-on-Sea has been told he must leave his care home because he does not meet the government criteria for funding. Norman was a P.O.W in Germany for over 3 years and lost a foot at Dunkirk. He is petrified about returning home on his own with very little care. Is this the way we should be treating the Heroes who gave us what we have today. Ex-servicemen like Norman have given this country a lot, let us not ignore them in their time of need.

Sign the petition if you like...

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/normanbinnall/

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2007, 11:11:11 »
Gurkha Officer KIA

Ghorkali Ayo

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7031279.stm

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2007, 11:28:15 »
my condolences to Major Robert's family, friends and comrades in arms

Rest, your duty is done, we'll carry your burden from here on in
At the going down of the sun,
and in the morn
we will remember them!

CHIMO!
Chimo!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2007, 20:19:51 »
30 more years in Afghanistan. Well done John, tell it like it is...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/07/wafg107.xml

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2007, 20:24:30 »

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2007, 21:26:02 »
Op Banner ends

NI: Soldier's expereinces

Wot? No mention of egg banjoes? Crikey...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/31/nireland231.xml&page=1

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2007, 11:04:57 »
Queen unveils new memorial to those who've died since WW2

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7040801.stm

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2007, 23:43:49 »
Well done Milos.

From The Times
September 24, 2007

Our politicians are letting down our soldiers

Sir, General Sir Richard Dannatt’s assertion that the population of Britain sent the Army to war, and should therefore show its appreciation, is not accurate (report, Sept 22 ). War was made by an executive that suspended parliamentary democracy and failed to carry the nation to war. It is hardly surprising that when they are marginalised and voiceless, people make their feelings known through apathy and indifference.

The dodgy dossier, the shameful debacle over David Kelly and the absence of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq have eroded public confidence in politicians. We are not Americans. We are now a people less interested in jingoism and militarism. If the sight of a British army uniform in Selly Oak, or the horror of having wounded Service people’s kith and kin descend into our Surrey backyard, is enough to upset British citizens, do we really think that politically correct councillors will entertain marches through their towns? Is this really the solution to raising morale in our Armed Forces; bands, marches and football tickets? Try accommodation, hospitals, pay, equipment and decent tour intervals.

The betrayal of British soldiers began at the top, with politicians who are not leaders, with people who have bankrupted the cultural capital of this country.

They are managers and fixers of problems, not leaders. To reengage us, politicians need to carry us with their vision, mission and values – and be seen to be embodying them.

I was a soldier and officer in the Army for 20 years. Now I am one of the masses. I feel for the soldiers, but I also know the betrayal of them does not lie down here.

MILOS STANKOVIC

Farnham, Surrey

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

Offline Digger Hale

• Rate Post
  • Striving for Mediocracy in a world of Excellance
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2007, 20:28:02 »
He'll usher in a new age for the Commonwealth, mark my words. He's impossible to find fault with, He's an absolute inspiration and He, with Prince Harry are bring youth back to the monarchy. I intend to be in England one day in the hopefully distant future when HRH The Queen passes, when Prince Charles becomes King and then perhaps a few years later when Prince William takes over. It'll be an amazing time and a wonderful day/s.

In the words of Menzies, "I did but see her passing by, but i shall love her till i die".
"Then imitate the actions of the tiger, stiffen the sinews, conjure up the blood...
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath, and bend up every spirit to his full height..."

Offline IN HOC SIGNO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Vocatio Ad Servitium
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2007, 09:51:50 »
Typical subaltern...

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/0710_prince_harry_snorts_vodka.shtml

My son's 22 and up to exactly the same kind of high jinks. i think most of us were when we were young. give poor Harry a break, I say. It must be hard to live as a young man under such intense scrutiny.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2007, 11:01:51 »
The things subbies do in their leisure time.

William, the prince who would be King with his brother the Subbie who would be brash.

Chimo!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2007, 18:53:04 »
UK 'may increase Afghan troops' 
Britain may increase its military commitment in Afghanistan to help fill gaps in Nato's deployment there, a spokesman said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7055377.stm