Author Topic: British Military Current Events  (Read 1026664 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: British Military Current Events
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2008, 11:51:36 »
Granny shows that old gang haterds die hard...

Not strictly military, but when you're dealing with the Scots, it's a fuzzy grey line....

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/opinion?articleid=3644846
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2008, 11:55:19 »

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2008, 14:50:54 »
Well... isn't that a whole lot of hooey!
All new recruits come in thinking that the world is at their feet and that they are invincible.
As young recruits they will learn their 1st real lesson in life AND THEN they will make their 1st educated response as an adult.... either decide that this IS or this ISN'T for me.
Chimo!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2008, 17:14:28 »
+1. Load of bollocks.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2008, 17:15:19 »

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2008, 11:08:22 »
Bishops, RAF Pilots and Pole dancers have the same salary.

What about navigators?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=507086&in_page_id=1770

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2008, 11:55:48 »
OK Andy, you're heading towards the bottom of the barrel now.

AN SAS hero will ABDUCT Big Brother housemates tomorrow and try to “break” them under tough interrogation in the most controversial reality TV stunt yet.

Sun security adviser Andy McNab, who led the famous Bravo Two Zero patrol in the Gulf War, will stage a special forces-style raid at 5am.

The ex-SAS sergeant will storm in with a team of former comrades. Contestants will be dragged from their beds, blindfolded, bundled into a van and driven away.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2008, 19:13:39 »
Pardon our noise, it is the sound of zipper headed freedom!

Village shaken by GPS-driven tank invasion - Sat nav panzer army
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/14/tank_satnav/

The Shropshire village of Donnington has suffered repeated invasions by transporters bearing 70-tonne tanks because the drivers' sat navs have mistaken the "picturesque" enclave with a nearby barracks of the same name.

The correct destination for the heavy metal is 15 miles away close to Telford, the Times reports, but residents say "tanks and other armoured vehicles arrived on their doorstep as many as seven times a week".

David Strefford, 60, told the paper: "It's like an invasion. We had seven tanks up the tiny lane outside my farm once.

"Their mapping systems must be a right mess. There are only six houses down here, so it looks nothing like an army base."

The army, however, says that private contractors are at fault. An official offered: "Military drivers would know where the Donnington barracks is."

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2008, 23:27:48 »
Just in time for Burns.....

Jacobite rebels may yet seal victory

http://heritage.scotsman.com/heritage/Jacobite-rebels-may-yet-seal.3586729.jp

By STEPHEN MCGINTY

WE ARE no longer to be crushed as rebels. The government is considering rewriting the national anthem on the grounds that the historical third verse, which refers to the Jacobite rebellion of 1745, is not "inclusive".
The words, which refer to Scots as seditious, rebellious characters who should be crushed by British forces with the assistance of God Almighty was described as "not actually that inclusive" by Lord Goldsmith, the former attorney general. He is leading a citizenship review, ordered by the Prime Minister, Gordon Brown - a Scot, though not a seditious one.

The Labour peer, who is responsible for discovering ways to bind the United Kingdom together and promote Britishness through a new "statement of values", said he had encountered a number of people who argued that the lyrics, written in 1745 by an unknown author, should be polished in the interests of political correctness.

He said: "There's some problem with part of it, absolutely. Part of it is not that inclusive. Some people have suggested we might think about whether there are different words that might be put in place which would be more inclusive."

God Save The King (or Queen) was first sung in 1745 at two London theatres, the Theatres Royal at Drury Lane and Covent Garden, to rally public spirits after the Jacobite rebellion, led by Charles Edward Stuart, defeated King George II's troops at the Battle of Prestonpans.

The commander-in-chief of Britain's forces was Marshal George Wade, who was born in Ireland but had served the king in "North Britain". The controversial third chorus goes: "Lord grant that Marshal Wade/ May by thy mighty aid/ Victory bring/ May he sedition hush/ And like a torrent rush/ Rebellious Scots to crush/ God save the King."

Unfortunately, the Lord did not grant any such favour to Marshal Wade, who was sacked after he failed to counter the Jacobite's march into England and was replaced by Prince William Augustus, the Duke of Cumberland, who went on to win the decisive Battle of Culloden in 1746.

This particular verse was abandoned soon after and long before the song was accepted as the British national anthem in the 1780s and 1790s, where it has remained by tradition alone as it has never been formally adopted by a royal proclamation or an act of parliament.

Last night, Professor Ted Cowan of Glasgow University's history department, said: "I don't know of any other national anthem that celebrates the defeat of one constituent part of the nation. But I think this wretched song has been with us too long to get rid off."

But Andrew Roberts, the author of A History of the English Speaking Peoples since 1900 said: "I'm a pretty patriotic bloke and I think I've sung the national anthem more than anyone else my age - 45 - and I have never once sang the third verse. It ... has not been sung since the 18th century. We shouldn't change it, we should just ignore it as we have done for so long."

Online Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2008, 00:37:07 »
Come away the Hanoverians!!!!  Wade was right enough to crush all those red-shanked Tcheuchters and their French educated fop.  ;D
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2008, 08:22:21 »
Sacré bleu!

Ils sont fou ces anglais!

:warstory:
Chimo!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2008, 23:53:21 »
Hopes over Chinook crash dossier 

Campaigners have said they are "cautiously optimistic" two RAF pilots killed in the 1994 Mull of Kintyre Chinook crash will be cleared of blame. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7188468.stm

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2008, 19:03:40 »
Now this is something they really need to spend time worrying about as opposed to resurgent Russian threat...

Military lion shorn of his equipment after women troops protest

The proud motto of northern Europe’s crack rapid-reaction force is ad omnia paratus. Prepared for everything, everywhere. But the heraldic lion above the Latin tag now sends a less plucky message – he has just been digitally emasculated and, though technically still a lion rampant, he does not seem to be ready for anything, anywhere.

The change was implemented after a group of women Swedish soldiers protested that they could not identify with such an ostentatiously male lion on their army crest. A complaint of sex discrimination was then lodged with the European Court of Justice.

“We were forced to cut the lion’s willy off with the aid of a computer,” Christian Braunstein, from the Tradition Commission of the Swedish Army, said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article3054270.ece

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2008, 09:16:52 »
The Royal coats of arms in Norway, Finland, Belgium, Luxembourg and Scotland feature rampant lions who have been snipped.
Some crests are ambiguous, but the message remains clear: the lions are supposed to display courage and nothing else.

As for the three lions that feature prominently on the English crest – the pride and joy of England fans everywhere:
– they are as clean-cut as a eunuch in an Ottoman harem.

Perhaps that goes some way towards explaining England’s recent performances on the football field.

OY!!  No fair!
Chimo!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2008, 10:19:31 »
... or cricket pitch ;D

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2008, 18:20:15 »
Wtach and shoot....

UK Army chiefs claim US 'trumpets' body count as tensions between allied forces rise
By MATTHEW HICKLEY -Last updated at 12:04pm on 17th January 2008 

British commanders were outraged after the US defence secretary criticised other Nato troops for their role in the bloody conflict in Afghanistan.

Robert Gates said the 30,000 US troops in Afghanistan were "doing a terrific job" in confronting the Taliban insurgency.

He added, however: "I think our allies over there, this is not something they have any experience with."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=508709&in_page_id=1811&in_a_source=

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2008, 08:18:35 »
After that press point, Mr Gates has gone into damage control and taken Olympic figure skating.....
He has specificaly noted Canada, the UK, the Netehrlands and Danmark for their contribution to counterinsurgency operations...

Our other NATO "allies" were notable for not being mentioned.

Cheech.......

Guess I'll give him a 9 for Chutzpah, a 5 for Artistic impression and a 10 for Foot in mouth.
Chimo!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2008, 10:12:07 »
Yes, he can back pedal pretty well for a guy with both feet in his mouth.

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2008, 10:51:56 »
“We were forced to cut the lion’s willy off with the aid of a computer,” Christian Braunstein, from the Tradition Commission of the Swedish Army, said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article3054270.ece

I wish I could use messaging like THAT in my workplace!   ;D
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2008, 03:27:45 »
Soldiers selling weapons to thugs ... according to the Sun at any rate.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article705480.ece

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2008, 08:19:00 »
UK troops underwhelmed at seeing civil servants @ Kabul Embassy get time off for trauma linked to bomb going off +1 mile away

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/2008/01/20/civil-servants-hear-bomb-go-off-and-get-fortnight-off-for-stress-98487-20291436/

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline cameron

• Rate Post
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2008, 09:24:58 »
My mother always says that everything in life has a limit, political correctness is no exception.  What next, painting the lion black so it doesn't offend West Indians like myself?
"All men dream: but not equally.  Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."

Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Lawrence of Arabia

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2008, 10:52:30 »
UK troops underwhelmed at seeing civil servants @ Kabul Embassy get time off for trauma linked to bomb going off +1 mile away

Well.... This subject has come up a couple of times - on this side of the pond.  Personnel working at the embassy aren't paid danger pay.... and, let's face it, if they wanted to put their life in danger, they woulda joined the military.

CF troops posted to the Cdn embassy in Kabul do not have the same benefits as the troops who are down in Kandahar...
Chimo!

Online milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #174 on: January 20, 2008, 10:54:34 »
Well.... This subject has come up a couple of times - on this side of the pond.  Personnel working at the embassy aren't paid danger pay.... and, let's face it, if they wanted to put their life in danger, they woulda joined the military.

CF troops posted to the Cdn embassy in Kabul do not have the same benefits as the troops who are down in Kandahar...

Thanks for sharing that - wonder why MSM isn't chasing THAT story?  Oh, right, not spectacular enough...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter