Author Topic: British Military Current Events  (Read 987790 times)

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: British Military Current Events
« Reply #550 on: September 01, 2008, 23:43:39 »
Holdfast secures £3bn MoD deal
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/money/2008/09/02/cnrsme102.xml
By Rupert Neate The Telegraph Last Updated: 12:05am BST 02/09/2008

A £3bn Public Private Partnership is set to transform accommodation and training at the Ministry of Defence's Royal School of Military Engineering (RSME).

The 30-year deal awarded to Holdfast Training Services, a Babcock and Carillion joint venture, will provide soldiers with 1,700 new beds and training in essential skills.

Babcock, the military training company, will teach Royal Engineers bricklaying, construction and plumbing, and allow about 300 existing military trainers to move to positions in the field.

Carillion, a leading public-sector construction firm, will build new facilities at the RSME's bases in Medway, Minley and Bicester.

The consortium will also manage catering, shops, transport and leisure facilities across the RSME's sites in Hampshire and Kent.

The move comes as the Defence Explosive Ordnance Disposal School and the National Search Centre are relocated from Medway to the RSME's Bicester base in Oxfordshire.

The unit's former Lodge Hill base will be developed into sustainable communities as part of the Thames Gateway regeneration project.

Defence Minister Bob Ainsworth said: "This is a landmark deal for the RSME, which secures the future delivery of world-class training for the Army's engineers. It also provides significant investment in soldiers' accommodation, which will supplement the spending on accommodation already being made across the defence estate."

Babcock chief executive Peter Rogers said: "This contract significantly strengthens our order book, which now stands at over £5bn, and underpins the long-term performance of our business."

Carillion chief executive John McDonough said: "We look forward to delivering improved facilities to meet the existing and future training requirements of the RSME.

"This builds on the excellent relationship we have developed with the MoD across a range of contracts, the largest of which is the £12bn Allenby Connaught Public Private Partnership project."

Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #551 on: September 02, 2008, 12:51:36 »
Brilliant idea - raise $ for charity, get good PR for the army, and write off the BFT for the next 7 years at the same time....

SEVEN soldiers yesterday began the first of seven marathon-length marches in seven days for charity.

The squaddies, from 29 Regiment Royal Logistics Corps based in South Cerney, Gloucs, will hike seven hours a day in full combat kit with a 30lb backpack.
The team – who have all served in Iraq or Afghanistan – aim to raise £50,000 for the Army Benevolent Fund. Captain Alan Tindale said: “It’s payback from us. The care and after-care of soldiers is paramount.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/article1570611.ece
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #552 on: September 03, 2008, 00:39:44 »
British soldier shot dead sleeping colleague in Saddam Hussein's palace

A British soldier shot dead a sleeping colleague by mistake in Iraq as he "messed about" with a sniper rifle at their barracks in Saddam Hussein's former palace, a court martial heard.

By Caroline Gammell
Last Updated: 4:08PM BST 02 Sep 2008

Rifleman Aarron Kendrick, 20, pointed the weapon at Rifleman Edward Vakabua "in jest" and fired - unaware that the gun was loaded.
The court heard how Rifleman Vakabua, from Suava in Fiji, had been hailed a hero only days before his death after he volunteered to drive an injured colleague through intense mortar fire in Basra to safety.
Prosecutor Colonel Nigel Jones told the court at Bulford in Wiltshire that Kendrick, of 4th Battalion, The Rifles, found the L96 weapon under a colleague's bed at Basra Palace on June 6 last year.
"It was not his rifle, he was not authorised to use it and he was not qualified to use it," said Col Jones.
"He picked up the rifle because he was curious, because he was interested in going on a course and qualifying as a sniper.
"His father was also qualified on this rifle and he wanted to follow in his father's footsteps. He was in his own words 'messing about' to see how quickly he could load the rifle.
"He committed the cardinal sin of weapon handling - he pointed it in jest at another soldier."
Col Jones said Kendrick had showed "wanton disregard for normal safety precautions" and "gross negligence" which had led to 23-year-old Rifleman Vakabua's death.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/2668845/British-soldier-shot-dead-sleeping-colleague-in-Saddam-Husseins-palace.html
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #553 on: September 03, 2008, 01:01:14 »
That's my idea of fun... driving through 50 miles of bandit country at 3km/hr ...

British soldiers kill 200 Taliban in Afghan dam operation
A major secret British operation to boost the economy in Afghanistan's Helmand province has been completed after a force of 5,000 troops fought for a week to drive a huge dam turbine through Taliban lines.

By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent
Last Updated: 10:08PM BST 02 Sep 2008

British commanders estimate that more than 200 Taliban were killed as they tried to prevent the convoy of 100 vehicles from getting the machinery to Kajaki hydroelectric dam where it will provide a significant increase in energy for up to two million Afghans.

The operation has been described as the biggest of its kind since the Second World War.

For the last five days the force has fought through the heart of Taliban territory to push through the 220 tonne turbine and other equipment that included a 90 tonne crane to lift it into place.

With a third turbine fixed at Kajaki it will mean that the extra electricity could double the irrigation output allowing farmers to plant two crops of wheat a year. With a dramatic rise in world wheat prices this could crucially mean that it becomes more profitable than producing opium which would deprive the Taliban of a major source of revenue.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/2668595/British-soldiers-kill-200-Taliban-in-Afghan-dam-operation.html

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #554 on: September 04, 2008, 11:36:18 »
Wounded British soldier forced to sleep in his car after being refused hotel room 'because he was in the Army'
By Liz Hull

A paratrooper who was flown home after he was injured fighting the Afghanistan was forced to sleep in his car overnight when a hotel refused him a room because he was a serving soldier.
Corporal Tomos Stringer, 23, had booked to stay at the Metro Hotel, in Woking, Surrey, while helping organise the funeral of a friend who had been killed in action.
On arrival, staff at the reception desk asked him for some form of identity and the soldier handed them his military pass.
Treated like 'scum': Tomos Stringer needed a hotel room for the night because he was helping with preparations for a friend's funeral killed in the line of duty
But Cpl Stringer, who was not dressed in uniform at the time, was astonished when they turned him away, claiming it was not company policy to allow Armed Forces personnel to stay at the hotel.
Last night Cpl Stringer's mother, Gaynor, 60, criticised the hotel for their 'disgraceful and outrageous' treatment of her son.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1052372/Wounded-British-soldier-forced-sleep-car-refused-hotel-room-Army.html

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #555 on: September 06, 2008, 01:30:18 »
Government bans army pipers from Russian tattoo
Army pipers have been forbidden from performing in Russia as the Government signals its displeasure over the invasion of Georgia.

By Tom Peterkin Telegraph.co.uk Last Updated: 10:56AM BST 05 Sep 2008

The Foreign Office has cancelled a trip planned by 40 musicians to take part in a four day Moscow military tattoo known as the Kremlin Zoria.

The bands from the Royal Gurkha Rifles and the Irish Guards were due to travel to Russia on Monday until the Government stepped in.

Another 20 pipers from Canada have also withdrawn from the event, which was founded last year with the help of the organisers of the world famous Edinburgh Military Tattoo. The Zoria, an independent charity, has no links to the Kremlin or the Russian armed forces.

In a sign of the worsening diplomatic relations between Britain and Russia, a Foreign Office spokesman said: "In the light of Russia's military actions in Georgia, we no longer feel it appropriate for a British Army military band to attend the Kremlin Zoria. As the Foreign Secretary has made clear, it is not "business as usual" with Russia."

The decision was condemned by Scottish and Russian organisers of the event. Brigadier Mel Jameson, the former head of the Edinburgh Tattoo who advises those running the Zoria event, said: "These kinds of links are so very important at times of international tension. Over the years we have established links of great friendship with the Russian organisers and we have benefited from their support and expertise in Edinburgh. This just shows that music apparently does not cross all boundaries."

Vitaly Mironov, the director of the Kremlin Zoria Foundation, said: "We have worked so hard. This is not a good decision, it is a political decision. Ordinary Russians, people who respect Britain, were looking forward to this. Our festival is not a political festival - it has nothing to do with this bloody war."
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #556 on: September 06, 2008, 11:54:17 »
Well... it mighta been an idea of keeping a couple of backdoors open.

Instead, I guess the pot gets to simmer a bit longer.

Who'se the cook in the kitchen I wonder ???
Chimo!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #557 on: September 07, 2008, 23:58:38 »
Government bans army pipers from Russian tattoo
Army pipers have been forbidden from performing in Russia as the Government signals its displeasure over the invasion of Georgia.

They must be real gentlemen: Definition of a gentleman? A man who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't  ;)

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #558 on: September 08, 2008, 01:13:00 »
They must be real gentlemen: Definition of a gentleman? A man who can play the bagpipes, but doesn't  ;)

Dam fine ah kent you wur a sassenach Wull.  Ye huv nae soul.   ;D
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #559 on: September 08, 2008, 01:18:32 »
Bravery? Well, maybe not, but good on him anyways. I'd still like to see the son or daughter of a leading Canadian political figure (Prime Minister?) at 'the front' these days. Two hopes: 1) Bob Hope 2) Envel'ope

Prince Harry in Afghanistan bravery saluted

Everybody who joins a military combat arm - such as the Household Cavalry Regiment - does so in order to fight. Prince Harry is no exception and he was bitterly disappointed when he was not allowed to go to Iraq with his regiment last May.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1580273/Prince-Harry-in-Afghanistan-bravery-saluted.html

Offline tango22a

Just \"LOVES\" being kicked to the curb!!

• R011C Dinosaur
  • Rate Post
  • Lurker in the shadows
« Reply #560 on: September 08, 2008, 06:21:15 »
Daft & Barmy:

You are wrong: A Gentleman is a man who gets out of his tub to have a pee!

Cheers,

tango22a
DISCLAIMER: THE IDEAS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED HEREIN ARE MINE AND MINE ALONE! NO ONE OTHER THAN MYSELF IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM!

CYNIC .... with a CAPITAL C
Character assassinations a specialty
Still crazy after all these years!!!

Dead Horse Beater......Par Excellence!

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #561 on: September 08, 2008, 07:49:38 »
:rofl:  Giggle!
Chimo!

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #562 on: September 08, 2008, 18:10:36 »
Territorial Army loses radios to frontline troops

IAN BRUCE, The Herald, Defence Correspondent, September 09 2008

THE Territorial Army is being stripped of communications equipment, issued less than a year ago, to replace breakages and shortages on the front line in Afghanistan.

The Herald can reveal that backpack infantry sets for the £2.4bn Bowman tactical radio system and even vehicle-mounted versions have been commandeered from the part-timers to replace damaged kit for the regulars fighting the Taliban.

TA veterans fear wholesale looting of the new digital system will drive many citizen soldiers eager to learn military IT skills out of uniform.

The TA's signallers are to be re-issued with the Cold War-era Clansman radios, dating back to 1982, to allow them to communicate on exercises without resorting to insecure mobile phones.

Some disillusioned TA soldiers who contacted The Herald say that they were due to attend "Bowman camps" next month to undergo intensive instruction on the secure communications network but will now have no equipment on which to train.

One signals officer said: "So much for the One Army' concept being touted by MoD about part-timers and regulars. No one has a problem with the kit ending up where it's needed most but this is a major blow to training plans and to long-term TA capability and credibility.

"We've been told that any TA signaller called up for either Afghanistan or Iraq will be given pre-deployment Bowman training in the main depot at Chilwell near Nottingham to enable him to fulfil his role on operations. No-one believes that. It's a complex system and there's simply not enough time to teach people how to use it properly in a brief few weeks.

"The basic issues here are that not enough radios and other equipment were ordered in the first place and much of what was delivered is too fragile for realistic battlefield use. It's simply not squaddie-proof', with wires that break easily and special batteries that are scarce and also defy recharging."

Bowman was supposed to revolutionise command and control in the Army. Its encryption software allowed commanders to talk securely for the first time without the need to encode messages.

But the radio's coverage sometimes does not extend from one side of a base to the other, while a shortage of batteries means soldiers are being ordered to turn off radios until they come under attack.

An Army source said: "Many TA units have also lost training access to machine-guns and grenade-launchers needed urgently by troops on operations. Realistically, there is only so much kit to go round. It has to be allocated where it is needed most."

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #563 on: September 08, 2008, 19:48:14 »
Cheez.... this sounds very familiar to anyone in the CF Primary reserves...

I just hope that the MoD (and the CF) generates purchase orders to replace the lost / damaged kit that is being stripped out of the TA / Reserve units for operational use....

Bowman... TCCS... same old same old IMHO
Chimo!

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #564 on: September 08, 2008, 23:05:30 »
Boo friggin' hoo.

In the 80s, the TA units got MILAN and Clansman years before some regular battalions (like mine) because they were tasked for a 'Central Front' role vs. 'Out of NATO Area Ops'. This was way more important than equipping the regiments that might have to go off and fight in the Falklands or something, apparently. Just before the Task Force sailed south in '82, they had to run around and strip the TA units of MILAN and Clansman, then train up 5 Bde and 3 Cdo Bde at light speed before they went into action.

Absurd? Yes.

Payback's a beyatch! ;D

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #565 on: September 08, 2008, 23:54:08 »
Well, if Andy McNab is angry...

SAS author Andy McNab warns of mental breakdown among troops

The SAS veteran Andy McNab has launched a scathing attack on the Government's treatment of British troops after a poll found that two thirds of the public thought their care was "disgraceful".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/2700037/SAS-author-Andy-McNab-warns-of-mental-breakdown-among-troops.html

Offline Digger Hale

• Rate Post
  • Striving for Mediocracy in a world of Excellance
« Reply #566 on: September 09, 2008, 08:26:40 »
Boo friggin' hoo.

In the 80s, the TA units got MILAN and Clansman years before some regular battalions (like mine) because they were tasked for a 'Central Front' role vs. 'Out of NATO Area Ops'. This was way more important than equipping the regiments that might have to go off and fight in the Falklands or something, apparently. Just before the Task Force sailed south in '82, they had to run around and strip the TA units of MILAN and Clansman, then train up 5 Bde and 3 Cdo Bde at light speed before they went into action.

Absurd? Yes.

Payback's a beyatch! ;D
Its a funny old world isnt it? Its every soldiers right to have a whinge about things, even when they know they're for the greater good. "I was going to get radio qual'd but now i cant cos the Reg's stole our brand spanking new radio's to use in Afghanistan where they'll save lives and help the boys out. How unfair is that!?!?!...Actually not very, they do need it more..."
Better look into building that bridge next weekend boys, it'll help you get over it.
"Then imitate the actions of the tiger, stiffen the sinews, conjure up the blood...
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath, and bend up every spirit to his full height..."

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #567 on: September 09, 2008, 11:22:44 »
Hales.... nothing wrong with "borrowing" the kit you need "right this very minute" BUT, someone up the food chain has got to get his pencil working and place an order for replacement kit.... cause there isn't anything left in reserve
Chimo!

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #568 on: September 09, 2008, 18:22:20 »
From Times Online September 8, 2008

Service appointments: Army

Brigadier T. R. Urch (Late RE) to be Commander 1 Mechanised Brigade, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier R. F. P. Felton (Late AAC) to be Commander 4 Mechanised Brigade, with effect from April 2009;
Brigadier N. Welch, (Late RGBWLI) to be Commander 7 Armoured Brigade, with effect from March 2009;
Brigadier I. Hooper (Late R Signals), to be Commander 1 Signal Brigade, with effect from July 2008;
Brigadier N. Marshall Late RA, to be Commander Artillery HQ 3rd (United Kingdom) Division, with effect from April 2009;
Brigadier I. G. Harrison (Late RA) to be Chief Joint Fires and Influence Branch, Headquarters Allied Command Europe Rapid Reaction Corps, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier R. M. B. Nitsch (Late REME) to be Commander 102 Logistic Brigade, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier S. P. Hodder (Late RE) to be Commander 43 (Wessex) Brigade, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier A. T. Davies (Late RLC) to be Commander 104 Logistic Support brigade, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier J. I. S. Stevenson (Late RS) to be Commandant School of Infantry, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier A. J. Deas (Late RLC) to be Commandant Defence College of Logistics and Personnel Administration, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier M. J. Hallas (Late Int Corps) to be Director Intelligence Corps/Commandant Defence Intelligence and Security Centre, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier M. A. P. Carleton-Smith (Late IG) to be Director Army Resources and Plans, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier J. G. Lorimer (Late Para) to be Assistant Chief of Staff J3 Permanent Joint Headquarters, with effect from June 2009;
Brigadier A. P. Bristow (Late R Signals) to be Assistant Chief of Staff, Command and Battlespace Management, Headquarters Land Forces, with effect from July 2008;
Brigadier J. T. Jackson (Late RGJ), to be Commander Recruiting Group, Army Recruiting and Training Division, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier S. L. Porter (Late R Anglian) to be Division Head (J5 Plans and Policy) Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier E. O. Forster-Knight (Late AGC(RMP)) to be Provost Marshal (Army), with effect from March 2009;
Brigadier T. P. Evans (Late LI), to be Chief Joint Force Operations, Permanent Joint Headquarters, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier P. J. Fabricius (Late RAMC) to be Commandant and Defence Postgraduate Medical Dean, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier W. N. Aldridge (Late RRF), to be Commander 42 (North West) Brigade, with effect from September 2008;
Brigadier A. T. Davis (Late RLC) to be Commander 104 Logistic Support Brigade, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier M. T. Griffiths (Late KORBR) to be Director Personnel Services (Army), Headquarters Land Forces, with effect from September 2008;
Brigadier D. J. Clements (Late R Anglian), to be Director Army Personnel Strategy, Headquarters Land Forces, with effect from October 2008;
Brigadier R. E. Nugee (Late RA) to be Director Manning (Army), Headquarters Land Forces, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier M. P. Maer (Late PWRR) to be Chief of Staff Field Army, Headquarters Land Forces, with effect from January 2009;
Brigadier J. D. Bevan (Late RLC) to be Deputy Chief of Staff Combat Service Support, Headquarters Allied Command Europe Rapid Reaction Corps, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier N. P. Moffat (Late AGC(SPS)) to be Director Staff and Personnel Support (Army), with effect from April 2009;
Brigadier S. G. Vowles (Late AGC(ALS)) to be Brigadier Operational Law Branch, with effect from October 2008;
Brigadier P. D. McEvoy (Late AGC(ALS)) to be Brigadier Prosecutions. Headquarters Army Prosecution Authority, with effect from October 2008;
Brigadier J. M. R. Henderson (Late REME) to be Director Logistics, Headquarters Land Forces, with effect from December 2008;
Brigadier M. P. Dodson (Late HLDRS) to be Deputy Military Secretary, Army Personnel Centre, with effect from August 2008;
Brigadier C. L. Wilks (Late RE) to be Director Engineering Battlefield Infrastructure Group, Director General Land Equipment, Defence Equipment and Support, with effect from November 2008;
Brigadier P. J. Davies (Late R Signals) to be Defence Information Infrastructure Integrated Project Team Leader, Defence Equipment and Support, with effect from October 2008;
Brigadier J. F. Rowan (Late RAMC) to be Commander, Headquarters 2 Medical Brigade, with effect from August 2009;
Brigadier J. T. Graham (Late RAMC) to be Director Medical Plans, Headquarters Army Medical Directorate, with effect from August 2009.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 18:27:14 by Blackadder1916 »

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #569 on: September 09, 2008, 18:42:04 »
Nice to see a couple of guys who were 'sprogs' under me now outranking me by a huge margin. Still, I've got the dirt!  ;D

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #570 on: September 09, 2008, 23:07:10 »
I will, with effort, restrain myself about making any remarks about the shocking behaviour of Engineers  :o

British soldiers filmed using illegal taser torture device

Two British soldiers, filmed apparently stunning each other with an illegal electric-shock torture device, are facing disciplinary action.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/2682702/British-soldiers-filmed-using-illegal-taser-torture-device.html
By Chris Irvine
Last Updated: 5:21PM BST 04 Sep 2008

The two men, claiming to be from the Royal Engineers, appeared to have filmed themselves with the electric-shock device while off-duty at a military base in Iraq.

The footage, posted on YouTube and entitled 'Taser fun!', involves the two young soldiers commenting on how much it hurts to be tasered.
"We're gonna taser each other," says one, before they move on to attack each other, shouting out in apparent pain. After being shocked with the device, one of the soldiers says: 'Don't get done with a taser - it f****** hurts.'

Human rights organisation Amnesty International confirmed the device was an electric-shock baton, and the organisation is now demanding to know how British troops gained access to them.

Amnesty International UK's Oliver Sprague said: "What Amnesty wants to know is why are British soldiers brandishing an electro-shock baton? These devices are illegal to own or sell in the UK because they are so widely used in torture all over the world.

"Electro-shock batons inflict severe pain at the touch of a button and leave no marks, earning them the title 'the torturer's tool of choice'.

"We're not saying that these soldiers have used this to inflict pain on anyone except each other. But it's seriously worrying if British soldiers are able to obtain these devices so easily and film themselves mucking about with torture equipment."

The pair, who have not yet been identified, are likely to be disciplined, according to military authorities.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #571 on: September 10, 2008, 09:00:16 »
Ummm... Nah - couldnt be a couple of Sappers with too much "down" time on their hands...
Must be Al Quaida impostors trying to get us Sappers into hot water.
Chimo!

Offline cameron

• Rate Post
« Reply #572 on: September 10, 2008, 10:08:26 »
I'm trying to figure out why this is such a big frigging deal.  They weren't using them on anyone but themselves. ???
"All men dream: but not equally.  Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."

Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Lawrence of Arabia

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #573 on: September 10, 2008, 13:56:11 »
I'm trying to figure out why this is such a big frigging deal.  They weren't using them on anyone but themselves. ???

The problem, as AI sees it, is that these devices are in the hands of British soldiers at all.  I mean, heavy artillery, ATGMs, machine guns, rifles, and bayonets are one thing, but we're talking about ELECTRICITY ,here, man. 
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #574 on: September 10, 2008, 14:00:54 »
Amnesty International UK's Oliver Sprague is just trying to front for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to (military) Animals 
Chimo!