Author Topic: Highway(s) of Heroes - Merged Thread  (Read 94306 times)

Offline M2A

• Rate Post
  • Serve - Persevere - Innovate
N.B. Highway of Heroes (Proposed)
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2012, 10:23:50 »
Sourced from CBC.ca, 5 Jun 2012, Link Here

N.B. Highway of Heroes proposed
Cassie Williams - CBC News
Jun 5, 2012 8:01 PM AT

Brian Macdonald, MLA for Fredericton-Silverwood, introduced a motion Tuesday for New Brunswick to have its very own "Highway of Heroes."

Macdonald said the motion could be debated as early as Friday.

The driving force behind the idea came from the New Brunswick chapter of the Canadian Army Veteran Motorcycle Unit.

The group has been advocating for the initiative for the past year and has collected more than a dozen letters of support from various veterans groups throughout the province.

If the motion gets passed, it would be the fourth Highway of Heroes in Canada.

In 2007, the Ontario government attached the "Highway of Heroes" name to the roadway that soldiers killed in action in Afghanistan travel, between Canadian Forces Base Trenton and Toronto.

Last June, B.C. renamed a stretch of the Trans-Canada to honour 13 soldiers from the province who died in Afghanistan.

In November, the Trans-Canada Highway from Regina to Moose Jaw was been designated Saskatchewan's Highway of Heroes, to honour fallen soldiers from the province.

Macdonald told CBC News he suspects there will be unanimous support for the designation.

He said the Trans-Canada Highway between the borders of Quebec and Nova Scotia has been put forward to have the honour.

Macdonald said the highway is an excellent candidate since it is part of a national network of highways, it spans the entire width of New Brunswick, and it runs through Canadian Forces Base Gagetown.

"It represents the lifeblood of the province," Macdonald said.

Macdonald also said the designation would represent not only military personnel but also first responders such as police, firefighters, and paramedics.

"It will be a living memorial to all those who have served," he said.

Macdonald stressed the timing has nothing to do with the federal government's decision to pull Canadian troops out of Afghanistan.

Macdonald also said the official name of the Trans-Canada Highway, or the Route 2, would remain the same and that provincial maps will remain unchanged.

He said, for now, the plan is to repurpose two signs already in place along the highway and said he expects the project to cost less that $10,000.

"It would be a low cost but have a high impact," he said.

Offline Jimmy_D

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
Re: Highway(s) of Heroes - Merged Thread
« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2012, 14:17:27 »
so NB is going to have 2 "Highway of Heroes"? 'cause there is already one in Moncton.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."      -       Winston Churchill

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #177 on: June 07, 2012, 00:29:58 »
Like other provinces, the NB "Highway of Heros" is not the same as the NB  "Veterans' Memorial Highway".

e.g. Ontario has the "Highway of Heroes" (401, Trenton to Toronto), but also the "Veteran's Memorial Highway" (416).

Regards
G2G

Offline seanarbuthnot

• Rate Post
Jay Forbes (forcerecon85) passes away.
« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2015, 10:10:44 »
I'm sad to say that the man that started the petition to have the 401 renamed Highway of Heroes has died.

He was only 30 years old.

Jay Forbes 1985-2015

http://www.ctvnews.ca/stretch-of-401-to-be-renamed-highway-of-heroes-1.253817

CTV.ca News Staff
 Published Friday, August 24, 2007 1:34PM EDT 
 Last Updated Friday, May 18, 2012 6:46PM EDT 

The stretch of Highway 401 running from Trenton, Ont., to Toronto will be officially renamed the Highway of Heroes in remembrance of Canada's fallen soldiers.

Ontario's provincial government consulted the federal government, municipalities along the highway and the Royal Canadian Legion about the name change on Friday.

The highway will not lose its official designation at the MacDonald-Cartier Freeway, but signs will be erected designating the route as the Highway of Heroes.

The design of the signs has yet to be determined.

The man behind the online petition in support of renaming a section of Canada's busiest highway says he has been overwhelmed by the response.

Jay Forbes had been receiving between 400 and 500 signatures a day in support of the name "Highway of Heroes" but the amount of people signing the petition has rapidly increased over the last few days.

"In the first four days I had 4,500 signatures," Forbes told CTV's Canada AM on Friday morning. "But now...I (have) 20,000."

Forbes decided to create the petition after seeing positive feedback toward an article on the Internet about renaming a section of Highway 401 the Highway of Heroes.

"I just had enough time and I whipped up a petition," Forbes said.

The support for the petition has come at a time when, residents, police officers and firefighters have been gathering to salute and wave flags on Highway 401 overpasses while motorcades carrying the bodies of soldiers killed in Afghanistan make their way to the coroner's office in Toronto.

Forbes' actions have been supported by retired Lt.-Col. Peter Dawe, whose son Capt. Matthew Dawe was killed in Afghanistan in July.

Dawe said that his son would have been supportive of renaming a section of the highway.

"I think there's a need for Canadians to show support for the troops to recognize the sacrifice," Dawe said.

It would also provide healing and support families of fallen soldiers, he said.

"At the same time I think we need to keep our eye on the rest of the military who are putting it on the line for our great country every day," Dawe said. "So somehow, you've got to balance that."

Nevertheless, Dawe feels the support from a cross-section of Canadians gathering on the highway overpasses is an "incredible phenomenon."

It's a show of support that the creator of the petition has successfully transferred to the online realm.

"It's truly amazing to see and it just goes to show how many people do support the troops in Canada," Forbes said. "It's just great."

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Jay Forbes (forcerecon85) passes away.
« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2015, 10:16:22 »
I'm sad to say that the man that started the petition to have the 401 renamed Highway of Heroes has died.

Jay Forbes 1985-2015

To think he was only 22 when he started this.  good to see that kind of civic minded kind of attitude at that age.
Optio

Offline seanarbuthnot

• Rate Post
« Reply #180 on: April 28, 2015, 10:37:10 »
He did whatever he could for vets. He was a big part of our life.

http://www.northumberlandtoday.com/2015/03/11/man-visits-cobourg-for-repatriation

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
Re: Jay Forbes (forcerecon85) passes away.
« Reply #181 on: April 28, 2015, 18:40:36 »

Jay Forbes 1985-2015

Sorry to hear this. I was not aware that this young man was the imeptus behind the naming. I took a ride down the Highway of Heroes on 6 Sep 2008.

RIP Jay Forbes  :salute: :cdn:

How did he die?
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2015, 13:19:40 »
Mr. Forbes' obit:
Passed away in Windsor on Saturday, April 25, 2015 in his 31st year. Loving son of Diane and Alexander (Sandy) of London, Ontario. Caring brother to Heather of Kitchener. Dearly loved and will be missed by aunt Linda and uncle Mike, cousins Diane, Brian (Maria), Michael and Amy. Jay will also be missed by his lifelong friend Eric Griffith and his wife Megan and their family of Halifax, Nova Scotia, his reenactment buddies Josh Stevens, Derek Wilkinson and Sean Arbuthnot as well as many other friends made during his travels. His greatest pride was in 2007 when he initiated the online petition for the official renaming of the section of Highway #401 to the "Highway of Heroes." Shortly after that accomplishment, he received a Canadian Flag flown at Kandahar for his efforts. He had recently joined The Naval Reserves while attending the University of Windsor.

Memorial Visitation will be held at the

Anderson Funeral Home & Cremation Centre
895 Ouellette Avenue
(519) 254-3223
on Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 1:00 p.m. followed by a Memorial Service in the Anderson Memorial Chapel at 2 p.m., officiated by Padre Bruce Jackson. If desired, Memorial donations made to Canadian Blood Services,the Canadian Mental Health Association or The Kids Help Phone would be appreciated by the family.

Please Join us in remembering Jay by visiting his Memorial at
www.andersonfuneralhomewindsor.com
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2015, 20:50:19 »
Bumped with a variation on the theme ....
The Region of Peel has supported a staff recommendation to designate Dixie Road – and a request to have it continued on Horseshoe Hill Road to the north – as the Veterans Memorial Roadway.

In a report submitted to the region in September, staff recommended the designation of Dixie, over the previously considered Airport Road, for the honour to Canada’s veterans.

Dixie was favoured over Airport as the report stated a desire to see a continuous roadway throughout Peel.

While Dixie becomes Horseshoe Hill in northern Caledon, the town was requested to make the change on Horseshoe as well to continue the road to Highway 9, something Mayor Allan Thompson suggested could happen easily. To the south, Dixie continues to Lake Ontario, while Airport Road stops at Pearson Airport. Too short of a route for some of the councillors.

Representatives of the Royal Canadian Legion were at the council meeting in which the report was carried, and were credited for their support of the project. Representatives of the legion have requested a “gateway” feature for the road, as well as commemorative signs that display the words, “we will remember them.” ....

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #184 on: November 06, 2015, 09:41:13 »
The latest:  Ontario planting memorial trees along Highway of Heroes ....
Ontario is honouring fallen Canadian soldiers by planting trees along the Highway of Heroes.

In partnership with Forests Ontario and Highway of Heroes Tribute, one tree will be planted along Highway 401 between Trenton and Toronto for every soldier who has fallen serving Canada since Confederation--a total of 117,000 trees.

In addition to honouring Canadian service members, the project will provide additional benefits by increasing canopy cover, erosion control, wind breaks, pollinator species and greening along portions of Highway 401. Planting is expected to begin in spring 2016 and take approximately five years to complete. To launch the project, a ceremonial tree will be planted at each end of the Highway of Heroes: at CFB Trenton, where the highway begins, and outside the Coroner's Office at Keele Street in Toronto, where it ends ....
Full release also attached if link above doesn't work.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter