Author Topic: The Canadian Commando Course  (Read 109689 times)

Offline Slim

• Just sliding along...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Daylight in the swamp
    • Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary
Re: The Canadian Commando Course
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2005, 18:45:39 »
I think it would be awesome for this course to be available my grandfather took the commando course in   Achnacarry, Scotland.For the assault on Juno beach he was 16 yrs old ( he's 90 now) so everybody should be able to pass the PT if you cant your weak.Go flip burgers lol.

Can you please start using proper punctuation and spelling. makes it easier for everyone else to read.

Thanks

Slim
STAFF
"The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Edmond Burke

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 19:12:20 »
Troops, I did not write the article... I just copied it here. It was written by a Capt who was serving in the Infantry School at the time (1999).
The course would be an excellent idea though; I did two CDO courses, and they are good trg. They are accessible to most Troops who are in reasonnably good physical condition, and who are motivated to go through a few tough weeks. We came out of it hardenned Soldiers, with new knowledge on small unit tactics, demolitions, amphibious ops etc...
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Offline little jim

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2005, 08:29:00 »
That Capt is a Major in the LER last I saw him.  Goes by "Mad Jack *****"

Offline noneck

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2005, 17:10:08 »
I had heard also that the author (Maj. B) was trying to put together some sort of PDS unit for contract work overseas. What happened with that and how many folks did he get? I still have his advertisement around somewhere.

Noneck

Offline Mark C

• Rate Post
  • Ask me about my amazing weight-loss programme!!
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2005, 19:56:55 »
I had heard also that the author (Maj. B) was trying to put together some sort of PDS unit for contract work overseas. What happened with that and how many folks did he get? I still have his advertisement around somewhere.

Ask "Michael Shannon", since they're one and the same....

Offline baboon6

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2005, 19:17:31 »
Troops, I did not write the article... I just copied it here. It was written by a Capt who was serving in the Infantry School at the time (1999).
The course would be an excellent idea though; I did two CDO courses, and they are good trg. They are accessible to most Troops who are in reasonnably good physical condition, and who are motivated to go through a few tough weeks. We came out of it hardenned Soldiers, with new knowledge on small unit tactics, demolitions, amphibious ops etc...

Were those French commando courses? Are you able to give more details? Thanks

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2005, 21:10:19 »
II read somewhere that the CAR was originally going to be called the Airborne Commando Regt, but someone thought it was too "mean sounding".
The Canadian Airborne Regiment was made up of Commandos AND each Commando was approx Company strength...
1 CDO drawn from R22R
2 CDO drawn from PPCLI
3 CDO drawn from RCR
Chimo!

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2005, 16:03:05 »
Ghostwalk is correct: Gen Allard's intention was to call the new unit the "Canadian Commando Regiment"; however the govt of the time thought the name was too agressive (so this is nothing new), so it was decided to call the Regt's sub-units "Commandos".
Baboon6, one was with the French Army, the other was with the FFL in South America. For details, try a search of this site with "French Commando". Contact me if you still have questions after.
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2005, 16:25:12 »
Further to Ghostwalk and Jungle, in 1966 LGen Allard visited 4 CIBG where I was serving at the time. He made a point of mentioning that the forces were forming a paracommando regiment and gave some details of the original organization. Because of force reduction the originall 1500-man force became a regiment of roughly 800 with two commandos, an airborne battery and an airborne engineer squadron as well as a headquarters and signals commando and a service commando. If I recall correctly there also was supposed to be a field service support unit to look after the housekeeping details in garrision. This was not part of the regiment.

The three commando organization was introduced circa 1978 to address manning difficulties. The rationale was that by giving each of the infantry regiments a commando to man, this would ensure (?) that the best soldiers would be cycled through the regiment.

Offline CanadianGuy

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2005, 16:53:12 »
There actually was a "Commando course" run not too long ago in August of 1988, it was 3-4 (?) weeks long and began in Meaford and was  a Reserve Army course. I was on it and made it one week but out of the 40ish candidates only 5 succeeded and can actually say they are graduates of the "Commando Course". The course content was as you would expect it to be (ie) small unit training-recce, raids, foreign weapon training and lots of physical fitness and long ruck marches. Physically it was actually quite tough for the week I lasted until injury ended my go at it. I don't know ever what became of the course as it was never run again. there were some "problems" in running it but the concept was good.

Offline Black Watch

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2005, 17:48:42 »
bring it on

Offline KevinB

• Has Been
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • As a Matter of Fact the Sky is Blue in my world...
    • FN America
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2005, 22:13:31 »
It was the Commando Leaders Course -- they was a neat little dagger pin that went along with graduating.
  I dont think it last longer than the one serial -- IIRC it was open to regs and reserves - any officer or NCO M/CPL and above.

Kevin S. Boland
Manager, Federal Sales
FN America, LLC
Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 703-244-1758  | Fax: 703.288.4505
www.fnhusa.com

Offline CanadianGuy

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2005, 00:45:30 »
Thanks KevinB for refreshing my memory, its been a few years! It was only ran once and I don't remember any Reg Force soldiers on it but it was a mix of NCO and Officer ranks as candidates. I do remember the 35 km  cross country (and on road) navigation ex/ruck march that had to be done in less then 8 hours in serious August heat and then the 8-10km evening ruck march back to the barracks after the daytime trek was done!

Mineguy

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2005, 15:11:52 »
Too bad we cant have the input of the few cdns who were in the rhodesian light infantry or selous scouts on here to what they did on "thier" commando course!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 15:14:44 by LurkingKuna »

Offline Glorified Ape

• Rate Post
  • Managing expectations is the key to success.
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2005, 08:20:01 »
Is it me, or are there a number of grammatical errors in the article? For something printed in a journal and written by an officer, I would have expected better.
Bureaucracy is hell.

Offline Sphinx 4/73

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2006, 13:48:40 »
Having had the chance to do RM Commando course along with Para and a little diddy known as the 4/73 try out this defines the meat and potatoes solider with the nice bloody steak that drinks gas and spits fire.  Good to hear if Canada starts doing all these things that they governement says they will.  Ahhh..nothing commando course beastings.... :'(

Cheers Sphinx
"The midget Bush and that Rumsfield deserve only to be beaten with shoes by freedom loving people everywhere." - Iraqi Information Minister

Offline 3rd Horseman

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2006, 17:04:39 »
Too bad we cant have the input of the few cdns who were in the rhodesian light infantry or selous scouts on here to what they did on "thier" commando course!

You may want to ask around the Cdn Army for Commandos we have our fair share since we regularly sent Platoons on serials of the French Commando crse while CFE was still around. Many have their French Commado badges tucked away due the direction that they could not wear them once outside of CFE. From my understanding of the training system for that crse CFE was the only place you could get it. I dont think its relavent anymore unfortunatley due to the JTFs new role.
Sanctuary is as hard to find and as difficult to walk on as a razors edge

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2006, 19:17:01 »
Many have their French Commado badges tucked away due the direction that they could not wear them once outside of CFE. From my understanding of the training system for that crse CFE was the only place you could get it.
Not exactly true; 1 Cdo sent troops to France for Cdo trg once and to French Guyana for jungle trg regularly throughout the late 80s / early 90s.

Offline French CDO #7

• Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2006, 08:33:19 »
I have both French Army Basic Para Course and French Commando Course, Received the coveted "Badge #7" at Kiel in 1985. they have been in a wall frame since I left Germany. Got to like the Military Policies>:(

Offline commando gunner

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2006, 22:47:42 »
I have both French Army Basic Para Course and French Commando Course, Received the coveted "Badge #7" at Kiel in 1985. they have been in a wall frame since I left Germany. Got to like the Military Policies>:(

Here is a Brit view from arrse on the course.   

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=23153.htm 

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2006, 03:46:54 »

Good concept, but for what purpose?  I did the Cdo Course in the UK as well as P Coy (Pre-Para Selection). Both those courses are for selection to be part of larger amphibious and airborne brigades with more or less conventional war roles. And I can't remember much about being trained to use a special dagger or (God forbid) a flamethrower. What larger units would the graduates from these courses be part of in Canada?

Canada already seems to have a couple of pretty good 'commando type' courses that meet specific CF needs viz: CSOR and the Pathfinder Course. Of course there's also JTF2.  We therefore seem to have some pretty good stuff going on right here at home. The general proposition of the original article has already been achieved by the CF. Hurrah.

The only improvement I think we could make is to try and put more people through these kinds of courses and make it a basic standard, as opposed to something 'special'. If you talk to any WW2 veterans you will find that alot of stuff we consider 'special' training these days was SOP for the combat arms, and especially the infantry, back then. Slim, for example, was fond of saying that any unit in the 14th Army could perform as well or better than a 'special' unit. This would be a good goal for us: to build and maintain a small, but extremely high quality, army.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline old fart

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2006, 08:08:50 »

Here is a Brit view from arrse on the course.   

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=23153.htm 

The link did not work for me, but in my Brit days it was popular to send whole troops/platoons on the basic course, a week long or so.  Usually completed during a SUE.  Mainly confidence training, some rope work and the piece de resistance, stand in a manhole or lay down as an MBT rolled over your head. 

Oh and lots of cheap French wine...that being said SUEs with the French were not that popular back in those days, their bases were crap, and the food just as bad.  Now things were not that great for us...but better than what the French had in the 70s-80s while it was still a conscript army.

I recognise that they also offer other advanced Inf courses and have schools to train their SF.

Merry Christmas one and all... :salute: :cdn:
"Soldiering on"

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2006, 13:38:11 »
Old fart, if you 1st go in to arrse.co.uk 1st, the link does work........... just a pain to get there.
Chimo!

Offline pipesnake

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2007, 12:49:25 »

Isn't this called "Battleschool"? We did 80% of that anyway when I did it in 89.

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2007, 14:13:13 »
Old school Battle school, maybe.
I am NOT a privileged white man by virtue of being male or white. I am privileged because I am alive and exercising my right to be who I am!