Author Topic: RSS Feeds  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Technetium

• Rate Post
RSS Feeds
« on: August 26, 2007, 18:12:34 »
Any possibility of getting RSS feeds for individual forums?
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: RSS Feeds
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 19:16:52 »
You bet. Subscribe to this URL:

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/index.php?sa=recent;type=rss;action=.xml;board=X

Where "X" is the board number. If you hover over a board URL you can find the number. For example, this board's link is:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,9.0.html

So the board number is 9. The RSS feed would then be:

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/index.php?sa=recent;type=rss;action=.xml;board=9

Hopefully that makes sense!

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 19:18:38 »
Not a bit..........to a moron like me. :-[
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 19:22:09 »
You have got to know where to look on your screen.  On IE you will find it at the bottom left of the window.......down where it says "Done" right now.......move your cursor over the links and they will show up in that location.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Technetium

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 19:27:41 »
Mike, perfect.  Thanks!

George, I tried to grab the rss url from there, but it appeared to always point to a generic forums-wide feed.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." - Albert Einstein

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 19:32:31 »
Mike, perfect.  Thanks!

George, I tried to grab the rss url from there, but it appeared to always point to a generic forums-wide feed.

That only lets you visually see the address to the link you are hovering over.  If you click the link then you will go to it.  If you move off the link, that address will disapear or change to a new one if you have moved over another link.  That way, if you know what links you are looking for/recognize the address you can quickly scan a page for the links that you want without actually clicking on them and going to them.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Mike Bobbitt

• Army.ca Owner
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 19:40:42 »
I think Technetium is referring to the "builtin" RSS feeds. On Firefox you get a little orange icon in the URL bar but it isn't context specific, it always points to the generic RSS feed for the whole site. You need to create a link as above to get a manual RSS feed for a single board, which is unfortunately a manual process.