Author Topic: Whats it like to be a LCIS tech  (Read 48365 times)

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
Re: Whats it like to be a LCIS tech
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2009, 23:09:52 »
 anyone going LCIS Tech from Toronto...
:)

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 23:31:28 »
does anyone know what CF manuals are applicable to LCIS tech...

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2009, 00:06:01 »
does anyone know what CF manuals are applicable to LCIS tech...

You're kidding, right?  There have to be hundreds.

Why do you want to know at this stage of the process?

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2009, 02:18:48 »
im really big on preparation

Offline 1984

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2009, 07:09:58 »
Well guy, I wouldn't prep too much.  With MES there is no guarantee you will ever be a Tech.

Cheers,

Offline Teltech

• I'm a lurker, not a fighter...
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2009, 08:44:06 »
Assuming you do become a tech, you will be taught what you need to know about the aspects of the job. POET and 3's are primarily to teach you the fundamental skills you need to know, and you will get equipment specific training depending on the unit you are posted to.

If preparation is your main thing, then make sure you get physically fit or maintain your physical fitness, adopt a good attitude and understand you may not get all the answers you want right away. Some things have to be experienced, not explained.

Tech wise - brush up on math and basic electronic theory. Everything will be taught to you, but it's easier if you have at least that.

Before I forget: HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR!!! ;D

As S1984 said, you may not even become a tech right away.

Good Luck!
Eeny, Meeny, Myni, Moe - I need a tech to go...

Nothing common about common sense, is there...

aesop081

« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2009, 10:30:01 »
im really big on preparation

...but not really big on focus though.

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2009, 14:21:43 »
what is MES....im focusing on researching LCIS tech...

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2009, 15:11:19 »
what is MES....im focusing on researching LCIS tech...

Read this topic: http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=77029.0

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2009, 17:31:03 »
well  i was found suitable for LCIS Tech in october 2009...although i havent receieved an enrollment decision yet.....how would this affect me...

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2009, 17:37:30 »
We don't even know how its going to affect in-service LCIS, Linemen and SigOps yet. By the time you hit the training system, there will be a few courses run before you, and the most of the major kinks should be worked out by the Course Critique process. Don't worry about it until you get to CFSCE.

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2009, 19:23:59 »
ok thank you...im just fascinated with becoming an LCIS tech thats all...thanks to everyone for your help best wishes...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 19:35:01 by tsokman »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2009, 22:17:37 »
Just so you don't have any sleepless nights, the current plan for MES does have a LCIS-type trade, just under a different name and with some narrower terms of service, so even if things do end up FUBAR, your LCIS dream won't die completely.

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2009, 01:28:32 »
well thats funny because LCIS tech, Sig Ops and Lineman were my three choices so I went with LCIS tech because the spec pay wet my chops...so im willing to perform as a Sig Ops and Lineman as well if I have to...what is that super duper tech or something...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 01:37:35 by tsokman »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2009, 11:08:29 »
Like I said, nobody knows what each of the 4 sub trades will actually be on implementation, the best source of information is in that forum topic.

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2009, 15:01:41 »
well i plan on going sig officer eventually so maybe the cross-trade training will be appropriate..are sig officers responsible for communication and electronic workshops...are they responsible for commanding both ops and techs...or is that the EME officer...

Do LCIS Techs usually serve in Sig units..or can they be posted to any service and support unit within any type of land army unit...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 22:05:05 by tsokman »

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2009, 01:53:19 »
what would be fascinating is something that was combat, op and tech crossing over into eachother...something like a mobile comm pack sig op with tech capabilities attached to a combat unit...is there such a thing...

Offline 1984

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2009, 06:57:42 »
I think I saw one in that new G.I. Joe movie (which completely sucked by the way).

Cheers,

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2009, 08:18:39 »
tsokman

Tune your Squelch, you have too much noise.

Please read a bit more about what you are getting into before you press the Talk Button.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2009, 09:49:38 »
well i was lookng for something crosstrained LCIS tech was the best I could find..

MikeL

« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2009, 10:26:30 »
well i plan on going sig officer eventually so maybe the cross-trade training will be appropriate..are sig officers responsible for communication and electronic workshops...are they responsible for commanding both ops and techs...or is that the EME officer...
EME Officers have nothing to do with Signals.   A Signals Officer can be in charge of Techs, Operators and Lineman, ie a Sigs Platoon Commander/Sig O

Do LCIS Techs usually serve in Sig units..or can they be posted to any service and support unit within any type of land army unit...
Signals Personal serve in Signals units, Combat Arms units, CSS units, etc

Yes, there are LCIS Tech positions within an Infantry unit - within Sigs Pl. But don't expect to do much else aside from Tech stuff. Atleast thats how it is in my unit.

what would be fascinating is something that was combat, op and tech crossing over into
eachother...something like a mobile comm pack sig op with tech capabilities attached to a
combat unit...is there such a thing...

what are you talking about? Like some kind of Super Sig that is qualified Both Sig Op an LCIS Tech?
I have no idea who MES(S) is going to work, but right now you won't find people who are qualified both as a Sig Op and a Tech as they are seperate trades.
However there are Sig Ops who do know some basic "Tech" stuff and can swap cards, etc
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:46:16 by -Skeletor- »

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2009, 00:20:20 »
something like a cross-qualified sig op (first line)tech in a combat unit...

MikeL

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2009, 13:05:37 »
something like a cross-qualified sig op (first line)tech in a combat unit...

What?

K, I don't know what you are getting at. But this is how it currently is, in an Infantry Battalion there are Sig Ops, LCIS Techs and Lineman in Sigs Pl. And each coy outside Cbt Sp has a Coy Sigs NCO and for tour 2 more positions open up for Sig Ops in the Rifle Coys HQ.  I know on the TF 1-08 PRT FP Coy they had 1-2 Sig Ops as Platoon Signallers.

The reason Cbt Sp Coy doesn't have it's own Sigs NCO is because Sigs Pl is in Cbt Sp Coy.

Offline tsokman

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2009, 18:08:31 »
what about the one man comm pack...does he do first line tech....how close does he work with combat units...

MikeL

« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2009, 18:16:01 »
what about the one man comm pack...does he do first line tech....how close does he work with combat units...

wtf is a one man comm pack. Sig Ops, LCIS Techs an Lineman are posted to Combat Arms units.. so yea I'd say they work pretty close... Sig Ops would be the ones doing everything from going on patrols, working in a Coy an Battalion level CP. LCIS Techs during a Battalion Ex would stay in the Battalion Admin/HQ area an have the guys come to them to fix radios, etc sometimes they would go out to the Rifle Coy loc, etc an do repairs, etc on site. On tour I really had no contact with LCIS Techs, just saw them out in KAF an the FOBs, didn't see them come out to any of the Stroing Points/COPs with some exceptions, ie installing kit than leaving again.

ok.. for the most part Sig Ops do trouble shooting, an swap out hub batteries. Some know how an do swap cards - not all techs like this. For all other tech issues the LCIS Techs do it.

This is just what I've seen in my own unit, I don't know how LCIS Techs are employed in the other Battalions, etc but I would assume it would be the same as my unit.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 18:18:52 by -Skeletor- »