Author Topic: Air Nav name change?  (Read 15814 times)

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Air Nav name change?
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 22:01:29 »
Oh no Max, my dear misguided "friend".  The Nav Occupation is not to be trusted with an Instrument Ticket- therefore, only pilots can be "UAV Operators".  Maybe  you can be one someday- if you pass Moose Jaw.

Already done my "friend".  And hopefully the jet community won't fly UAVs...

Max

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 22:09:49 »
Already done my "friend".  And hopefully the jet community won't fly UAVs...

Max

My mistake Max.  Congratulations.  I'll bet the Jet Community can't wait for you and your obvious expertise.

BTW, what will you do if your first CO "volunteers" you for UAVs?  UAV line serials are going to have to be populated from across the Air Force, sooner than you think. Who do you think they will pick first- those ripe for Air Canada or those with 7 years of obligatory service?

Enjoy Hawk Training.  Could be the last aircraft you fly in...you never know.

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 23:06:09 »
I'd go for my UAV "wings" of white, red and gold...

Heck, I'll be happy to fly anything if I've got a p!ss poor attitude! This isn't top gun  ;D
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 12:43:34 »
  And hopefully the jet community won't fly UAVs...

No worries Max - the jet community hardly flies at all.

Back to the topic at hand....
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 14:10:13 »
We'll have some left-over unemployed Sperwers in a little more than a year, Max. We can hollow one out for you when we're done with them.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 14:56:00 »
Here's a good new name :  UAV Operators :D

Max

...as are pilots (the good ones who understand the ground tactical plan, anyway), bombardiers, etc...

Max, not to be a prick or anything, but my view of this and a few other recent posts lend me to suggesting that you spend less time standing in front of the mirror admiring yourself and start familiarizing yourself with joint operations and tactics because, if you are successful in your future training, you will have to be more than just competent in the application of force in a complex battlespace.  UAV....MAV....[insert weapon system here]....whatever -- warfighters conducting actions within the Profession of Arms requires, stand by for big surprise here, professionalism.

Success in your future will not be measured by how fast you get the wheels up in the well rolling out of the QRA hangar at a Northern FOL...

Food for thought,
G2G

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 15:12:17 »
Good2Golf, my comment was a joke (with some truth in it) and I didn't mean to disrespect Navs.  Heck, I know many navs that would actually rather fly UAVs than sit in the back of an Aurora.  I try to familiarize myself with operations and tactics and personnally, I just think that since the pilot MOC is so short in personnel and the Nav community is sometimes looking for new jobs, posting some of them at a UAV Unit would only make sense.

No, my ambitions are certainly not flying a UAV, but if it is required then so be it.  Just like you, I'm sure, I'd rather fly.  As for professionnalism, there are moments and places to be professionnal.  I personally don't think that pulling people's rope once in a while makes a person not professionnal. 

Having said that, I do appreciate your comments and as you said, I'll eat it up for thought ;)

Max

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2007, 15:18:41 »
Good stuff!

G2G

Offline Armageddon

• Rate Post
  • Who wouldn't love BC
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 16:42:14 »
Considering how far astray this conversation has gone from what it was intended to be I have to strongly recommend that now that we have sorted everything out, and corrected those who need correcting, that we close this topic and possibly delete the posts that do not pertain, such as all the mud slinging.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 16:54:00 »
Not sure why in Canada we think we need a pilot to fly these type of things - spare me the "pilot sense" or "airspace awareness" argument - the FSCC and ASCCs, manned primarily with Gunners and maybe some air types, succesfully keep "airspace awareness" up and keep small bullets from hitting medium size planes in the big sky.

My thoughts, as a Roto 6 mission commander, exactly.

It doesn't have to make sense, it's a** f**ce policy.

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2007, 17:40:23 »
Locked with usual caveats applied.

The Army.ca Staff
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf