Author Topic: Op ARTEMIS: Counter-terr/secur @ sea (merged)  (Read 31753 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Re: Gunners with the RCN
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 18:30:06 »
I had no idea Gunners operated UAV's thought it was just AESOP's, learn something new everyday.

The smaller RPAs (ScanEagle) are operated by the Army.  The larger RPAs (e.g. when we used to operate Heron) were operated by the Air Force with Pilots/ACSOs as the Air Vehicle Operator and AESOPs as the Payload Operator.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline jeffb

Really needs to stop buying guns... .

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Gunners with the RCN
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 18:48:40 »
The Maverick MUAVs are also operated by the Army.
~ Ubique ~
Simple is better except when complicated looks really cool.

Offline winnipegoo7

• Rate Post
Leading Seaman Brandon South Dies in Tanzania
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 16:35:56 »
It is being reported that an unidentified sailor from HMCS REGINA has died in Tanzania.
There is no information yet on cause of death.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2014/04/22/canadian_sailor_dies_on_leave_in_tanzania.html
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27120499

RIP

Edited to correct typo
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 22:46:58 by Bruce Monkhouse »

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
Re: Sailor Dies in Tanzania
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 18:25:26 »
RIP Sailor.  :salute: :cdn:
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 18:31:24 »
RIP.   :cdn:
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 18:33:42 »
RIP.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 18:39:45 »
They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;
These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.
For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.
They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble.
They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits' end.
Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses.
He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.
Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.

RIP  :salute:
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2014, 01:10:31 »
9D's old ship.  RIP.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Privateer

Looking for the bubble.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2014, 16:18:33 »
News release from MARPAC:

Identity of Canadian Armed Forces member who died in Tanzania released

The identity of a member of Her Majesty’s Canadian Ship (HMCS) Regina who died in hospital in Tanzania on April 21, has been released. Leading Seaman Brandon South was en route to Canada for a scheduled leave period from the ship, which is currently sailing in the Indian Ocean. The circumstances surrounding this death are being investigated at this time.

Quick Facts

• Leading Seaman Brandon South joined the Canadian Armed Forces in 2000. He was serving with HMCS Regina on Operation ARTEMIS as a sonar operator at the time of his death. He was based out of CFB Esquimalt, British Columbia.

• The Canadian Military Police are working with authorities in Dar Es Salaam to investigate the matter.

• Operation ARTEMIS is the Canadian Armed Forces’ current participation in maritime security and counter-terrorism operations in the Arabian Sea, which demonstrates Canada’s solidarity with partners and allies as we continue to work together for peace and security in the maritime environment of the greater Middle East region.

Quotes

“I am deeply saddened by the death of Leading Seaman Brandon South, which occurred while he was deployed overseas. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and colleagues, and we will ensure that support is provided for them during their time of need.”

Lieutenant-General Stuart Beare, Commander Canadian Joint Operations Command

“I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to the friends and family of Leading Seaman South. His presence will be dearly missed by all the ship’s company of HMCS Regina.”

Commander Daniel Charlebois, Commanding Officer HMCS Regina

- 30 -

Offline lacqui

• Rate Post
    • Lacqui's Writing
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2014, 20:07:41 »
Brandon was a big guy in pretty much every sense of the word.  He was a friendly giant, with a big personality that could fill a space, and a big heart that helped his shipmates through any trial.  Rest in peace, Brandon.  Your watch is over.   :salute:
Writing short stories, some of which refer to military situations.

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Op ARTEMIS: Counter-terr/security @ Sea (merged)
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2017, 07:04:10 »
I'll move this to a better thread once we hear what's announced - any speculation?
Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan and Parliamentary Secretary Jean Rioux will make an announcement in the House of Commons Foyer.

Date: Monday, May 29, 2017

Time: 10 a.m. (EST)

Location: House of Commons Foyer, Centre Block, Parliament Hill

-30-
:pop:
- mod edit to correct thread title -
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:06:03 by milnews.ca »
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline LogOLife

• Rate Post
Come onnnnnn pay raise....  :)

Online BobSlob

• Rate Post
Come onnnnnn pay raise....  :)

Apparently "Go West" had a song you might enjoy... King of Wishful Thinking.  ;D

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
DH's list of possibilities.

1. Full withdrawal of the CP-140M from Op Impact XX June 2017.   Lets call it "Op Pause".

2. Implementation of Taco Tuesday at all kitchens CF wide.  Where ever you are, you know you are getting a taco on Tuesday!  We already have steaks on Thursdays and Fish on Fridays.

3. Implementation of the boot allowance.  This would force troops to think of a different question to ask during townhalls.

4.  Financial contribution to the mission in Afghanistan...

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post

1. Full withdrawal of the CP-140M from Op Impact XX June 2017.   Lets call it "Op Pause".

2. Implementation of Taco Tuesday at all kitchens CF wide.  Where ever you are, you know you are getting a taco on Tuesday!  We already have steaks on Thursdays and Fish on Fridays.

3. Implementation of the boot allowance.  This would force troops to think of a different question to ask during townhalls.

4.  Financial contribution to the mission in Afghanistan...

I'd personally be happiest with #2 with the caveat being they offer a black bean vegan option   ;D

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Watch live @: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/defence-minister-on-canada-s-international-counterterrorism-effort-live-1.2969325

Defence minister on Canada's international counterterrorism effort LIVE
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Watch live @: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/defence-minister-on-canada-s-international-counterterrorism-effort-live-1.2969325

Defence minister on Canada's international counterterrorism effort LIVE
Thx for that.

And now, we have it - highlights mine ...
The Government of Canada is committed to taking concrete action so that Canadians – and people around the world – can feel safe and secure. As threats to our safety become increasingly complex, it is more important than ever for Canada to work in close cooperation with our allies and partners to protect our citizens.

Keeping with the Government of Canada’s commitment to work with our allies and partners to fight terrorism and bring about greater peace and security in the Middle East and East Africa, Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan and Parliamentary Secretary Jean Rioux today announced an extension of Canada’s contribution to international maritime security operations.

Extending Operation ARTEMIS until April 30, 2021 ensures Canada’s continued contribution to maritime security and counter-terrorism efforts along a vital artery of world trade for the next four years.

Through this renewal of Operation ARTEMIS the Canadian Armed Forces is authorized to deploy a number of maritime assets to the Combined Maritime Forces’ Combined Task Force 150 (CTF 150), to bolster security in the Red Sea, Gulf of Aden, Gulf of Oman, the Arabian Sea, and the Indian Ocean.

This maritime region, which spans over 5 million square kilometers of international waters, includes the main shipping routes from the Far East to Europe and North America. Canada’s presence, along with like-minded allies and partners, promotes safe passage for merchant vessels and supports regional stability and economic trade routes.

By denying criminal organizations the ability to smuggle weapons, illicit cargo, and narcotics, CTF 150 is also taking away their access to millions of dollars in funding that could be used for illicit purposes.

Quotes

“Today’s global environment is complex and dangerous, with threats to safety and security that are increasingly interconnected. The Government of Canada’s renewed commitment to counter-terrorism efforts is vital to building a safer and more prosperous world. I’m incredibly proud of the women and men contributing to the success of Operation ARTEMIS and know that their hard work will continue to deliver real results that benefit not only Canada, but the global community.”

— Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan

Quick Facts

The renewal of Op ARTEMIS authorizes the Canadian Armed Forces to:
        Deploy up to 375 personnel;
        Seek command of CTF 150 twice during the four year mandate;
        Provide a Halifax-class frigate once every two years and a CP-140 Aurora Maritime Patrol Aircraft once each year;
        Enforce United Nations Security Council Resolution 2317 related to the arms embargo and the ban on the import and export of charcoal into or out of Somalia.

The Government of Canada is providing up to $131.4 million in funding to support the four year extension of Operation Artemis to April 30, 2021.

Canada has been promoting peace and security in the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean region since 2001, first through Operations APOLLO and ALTAIR, and most recently through Operation ARTEMIS, Canada’s contribution to CTF 150 since 2012.

Canada recently completed its third command rotation of CTF 150 in April 2017.

The Combined Maritime Forces (CMF) is a multi-national naval partnership established by the United States in 2002. The CMF is comprised of three Task Forces: CTF 150 (maritime security), CTF 151 (counter-piracy), and CTF 152 (Arabian Gulf security and cooperation).

Over the past year, CTF 150 has denied criminal networks access to millions of dollars from illicit trafficking by seizing and destroying nearly 2,700 kg of narcotics and more than 3,300 weapons.
Moving shortly ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL

Well..unless the GoC does this part...we will be right back where we were before they cut the IMPACT Det to 1 tail.   ::)

As one of the Sqn's  skippers commented a few minutes ago on his FB "should I be surprised, or not surprised, to learn about the next deployment for my aircraft on the news online"?   ^-^

I am calling the operation Op Arthritis for NASOs, because that's what we'll have after updating trackers for months at a time.   ;D

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Well..unless the GoC does this part...we will be right back where we were before they cut the IMPACT Det to 1 tail.   ::)

Well, from the GoC press release, it seems like they're only sending the Aurora once per year.  So, it doesn't look like a continuous presence there *fingers crossed*.

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Op ARTEMIS: Counter-terr/secur @ sea (merged)
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2017, 00:59:38 »
It won't be continuous, based on the wording.  It looks like it will be a deployment of weeks to months every year.

Offline Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2017, 07:35:03 »
It won't be continuous, based on the wording.  It looks like it will be a deployment of weeks to months every year.

I'd be shocked if it was anything less than 3-6 months (6 months split between 2 crews). 

Other nations don't just stop by for a few weeks then return home. 

Online Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2017, 08:11:48 »
Other nations don't just stop by for a few weeks then return home.

You're just going to hurt yourself assessing Canadian security and defence thinking based on "other nations."   ;)

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2017, 13:13:51 »
I'd be shocked if it was anything less than 3-6 months (6 months split between 2 crews). 

You're probably right.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2017, 16:08:24 »
The wording also could be taken to mean the '140 deployment won't be until 2018.   :dunno:  I am at an op sqn and I have no idea.   :rofl:

Offline jmt18325

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2017, 17:19:24 »
The wording also could be taken to mean the '140 deployment won't be until 2018.   :dunno:  I am at an op sqn and I have no idea.   :rofl:

I don't think (I could very well be wrong) that anything is happening until 2018.  That means CP-140 in 18, 19, 20, and 21; and CPF in 18 and 20.