Author Topic: The stuff the Army issues is Excellent!  (Read 109014 times)

Offline Matt_Fisher

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Former Marine
Re: The stuff the Army issues is Excellent!
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 20:43:33 »
The CF issued (USGI type) cot is amazingly comfortable, although it can be a bear to get it set up.

Another great piece of kit is the mosquitoe headnet.  Goofy looking, but I've got many a good night sleep in bug infested parts by wearing it when I bed down.

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 20:47:19 »
The CF issued (USGI type) cot is amazingly comfortable, although it can be a bear to get it set up.

Just gotta go to QM and get a crank issued.

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 20:48:24 »

Another great piece of kit is the mosquitoe headnet.  Goofy looking, but I've got many a good night sleep in bug infested parts by wearing it when I bed down.

- I leave an end bar loose on the cot.  Saves teeth.

- Which serves to remind me of another piece of good kit: The Insect Bar.  Preferably the older ones that allowed you to sit up underneath them.
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline mover1

• Rate Post
  • I wasn't looking at anybodys birthmark man........
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 21:03:45 »
The two piece Tac Hel Flying suit!

It was hot down here to day and we were doing some load exercises on the C-17. It took the top portion off and worked in my t-shirt while the Yanks, Aussies and Brits looked on in envy.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 21:11:21 by mover1 »

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 21:09:26 »
Ziploc bags ...

Yes, there are indeed ziploc bags in the system that us suppies get to use for packaging etc ...

By far, the best little goodie I've had in the field (well second best -- the best goodie was the polaroid I was holding when a certain Major AJ fell into a latrine during one of those end-ex smokers).  >:D

SOG!!?? -- Is this the very same SOG that was brought into the system for the Field Engineers (and rolled out to all posns within 'entitled' UICs)?? You know -- the SOG with the crimping tool that the engineers aren't allowed to use for crimping (I know plenty who just continue to use their teeth instead due to the "no-crimping with the crimping tool message")??  Just goes to show you that as with every piece of kit --- some love it/some hate it ... and it doesn't always suit the purposes for which it was originally intended.

Any way you can issue me some new teeth Vern?  ;D
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 22:19:06 »
10 ton HLVW. Great for crushing less useful smaller vehicles
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 22:25:53 »
Ziploc bags ...

Yes, there are indeed ziploc bags in the system that us suppies get to use for packaging etc ...

By far, the best little goodie I've had in the field (well second best -- the best goodie was the polaroid I was holding when a certain Major AJ fell into a latrine during one of those end-ex smokers).  >:D

SOG!!?? -- Is this the very same SOG that was brought into the system for the Field Engineers (and rolled out to all posns within 'entitled' UICs)?? You know -- the SOG with the crimping tool that the engineers aren't allowed to use for crimping (I know plenty who just continue to use their teeth instead due to the "no-crimping with the crimping tool message")?? Just goes to show you that as with every piece of kit --- some love it/some hate it ... and it doesn't always suit the purposes for which it was originally intended.

No Sapper with even a half decently developed brain stem would ever crimp a det with his teeth.  That would be grounds for a Baillie carrying handle up the jacksie.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 22:29:55 »

No Sapper with even a half decently developed brain stem would ever crimp a det with his teeth.  That would be grounds for a Baillie carrying handle up the jacksie.

Talk to NFLD ...  ;)
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 22:31:04 »
The Silva compass, in mils. Indestructible and accurate (in the right hands, of course). Miles ahead of equivalent compasses issued by other countries.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2008, 22:33:08 »
Know how I got to be an OLD thumperhead?  By never putting a finger anywhere I wouldn't put my dick, and not putting noisy party favours anywhere near the old brain case housing assembly, C1.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2008, 22:39:19 »
Know how I got to be an OLD thumperhead?  By never putting a finger anywhere I wouldn't put my dick, and not putting noisy party favours anywhere near the old brain case housing assembly, C1.

You're not old, (Vern sucking up) but I get where you're coming from.  ;)
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2008, 22:39:55 »
The sewing kit. 'nuff said.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2008, 23:11:48 »
And of course, the folks who issue the kit!

(+1 to Vern, right Vern?  ;) )

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 11:10:35 »
Know how I got to be an OLD thumperhead?  By never putting a finger anywhere I wouldn't put my dick, ...

- Dare I ask, "How do you eat fried chicken?"

;D
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2008, 11:27:16 »
CadPat Fleece
ICES clothing
Mukluks
Ballistic Eyewear...how eyes could have been saved? Fovgive my bitterness, but some of the old codgers would freak out at the style, and I daresay some of the currently serving codgers don't care for them......but that's toooooooo bad. They are an issue item.
The C6 GPMG with the Sustained Fire Kit - great on its own and better when used with the other MG....the .50 cal HMG.
The fancey headovers/balacalava.....sometimes too warm, but hey......
The Lav III -

There are more I could name, but I don't want to bore yall!!! :cdn:
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2008, 11:36:46 »
The air force box lunch was an amazing sight to behold, bulging with all sorts of food, left the army box lunches to shame.

Offline NL_engineer

• CHIMO
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2008, 11:42:02 »

he just doesn't relies there are tunes of the old crimpers (the ones that we can't use any more  ::)) in tp stores  ;D

To add to the list, the double crimp crimpers (the newer non metallic EOD Pro ones), when you can get them  ::)
Note to any Taliban and AQ personnel on the Form:  ALL SUICIDE VESTS AND EXPLOSIVE DEVICES MUST BE TESTED TO INSURE THEY WORK BEFORE GOING AFTER A TARGET.

This is a measure to save any embarrassment that may occur when your explosive device, does not function as it is intended to.

It has come to my attention that these measures are not being followed, so for all Taliban; please refer to the above.

Thank you for your cooperation

Offline KevinB

• Has Been
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • As a Matter of Fact the Sky is Blue in my world...
    • FN America
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2008, 11:43:31 »
I crimp with the SOG -- I dont read memo's I dont like  ;)

SF kit -- good when new -- unfortunately most are past their prime.

CADPAT FLEECE - WTF over -- since fleece is/is not an outer garment -- why bother?  The Green worked well - and we could have saved millions - maybe got a good tacvest replacement  ;)
Kevin S. Boland
Manager, Federal Sales
FN America, LLC
Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 703-244-1758  | Fax: 703.288.4505
www.fnhusa.com

Offline Matt_Fisher

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Former Marine
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2008, 12:41:25 »
The air force box lunch was an amazing sight to behold, bulging with all sorts of food, left the army box lunches to shame.

Box lunches bulging with food = Troops bulging at the seams of their combats.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2008, 12:52:36 »
Infidel-6:
Although I do tend to agree....the CadPat fleece is softer and not as stiff as the old fleece. More comfortable in my opinioin.
And the SF kits are getting long in the tooth.

More good kit - The new helmet is a darn site better than the old M1 tin pot.
Coleman two burner.....our personal one is over 25 years old....still goes as if new.

Offline westie47

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2008, 12:57:45 »
I like the parade boots, ankle :salute:
"Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals train until they can't get it wrong."

"Excuses are for losers; professionals identify the problem, fix it, and move on."

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2008, 13:28:36 »
Anklle Boots.....I hate those!! Mind you, they're the shiniest in the Unit....as the CSM should be!!

Offline Simian Turner

is a veteran who enjoys oddities!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Do the right thing; do the thing right!
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 13:44:53 »
Soft (scratch prevention) covers for the BEW.  The prescription inserts for BEW and Gas Mask, replacing combat spectacles. 

ISDL, RSDL replacing the Fuller's Earth Mitt.
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Offline geo

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2008, 14:16:51 »
Heh... I have been building the shine on mine for over 30+ years....
One of the few pairs still around that are fully "shod"...
Chimo!

Offline alfie

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2008, 14:45:13 »
For all the eme types...
Crows foot for spark plugs