Author Topic: A Discussion on the Evolution of the Civil Service- Split from Gomery  (Read 9369 times)

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Don't forget that it seems politicians, especially if they are appointed to cabinet (and maybe their entourage), get security clearances much more quickly than we mere peons. Perhaps corners are cut; I don't know.

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Don't forget that it seems politicians, especially if they are appointed to cabinet (and maybe their entourage), get security clearances much more quickly than we mere peons. Perhaps corners are cut; I don't know. 

Unfortunately, again, not an area I think we can discuss here...

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post

It's a conundrum: when the people of Canada elect one of their own to represent them in Parliament they give that person a vote of confidence that is very, very, very difficult for the security services to overturn. When the prime minister then selects one of those most trusted Canadians to serve in the cabinet he joins the people in saying "this fellow (or gal) can be trusted."

I think the PMO gives the PCO a list of potential new ministers almost as soon as the names are known and, as far as I know an appropriate security clearance - sometimes waaaaay beyond TS - is always in place just as soon as the oath is sworn. I wonder if, late in the process, the Clerk has ever gone to the PM and said, "Sir, you must not appoint M. Xxxxx to the cabinet; it would gravely endanger national security because ..."

That being said, several years ago I briefed more than one minister on quite sensitive matters. I worked very, very hard to avoid highly classified specifics - my military superiors were able to assure the minister involved that my presentation was supported by reams of solid but complex evidence which was available for review, if necessary. I was never asked for the details.

It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Must... resist urge... to rant... on myth of... paperless society ... >gasp<...

Ive seen that several IT systems/programs 'designed' to help track information are anything but, especially if supported by tech staff who refuse to make changes that would make the work easier for the user.  And it doesnt help that the bidding process favored either the lowest bidder or somebody's pal...

IT types firmly believe that removing the user and their obnoxious requirements from the mix will solve most of their problems, sounds almost like a religion. currently the RDMINS system being pushed is not accepted for classifiedor protected documents.