Author Topic: Non-Effective Strength (NES): Minimum Attendance  (Read 86414 times)

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5920.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: Non-Effective Strength (NES): Minimum Attendance
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 14:56:04 »
.......or better yet, when you turn in your kit, go to the Orderley Room and ask them for the details and what can be done. They're in the best position to speak to your paperwork, they generated it.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline NSmedicman

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 19:41:10 »
What is the process that a PRes member has to endure once they become NES for whatever reason?
"The greatest supporters of peace are those who are sworn to risk their lives when war occurs".

- Gen. Charles Krulak, 31st commandant, USMC

Offline ParaMedTech

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 20:18:34 »
Are you NES or being released NES?  Two different things.

Many units will allow you to resume parading, after a stern talking to and perhaps a recorded warning (or whatever it is now).  The time that you were deemed NES won't be credited towards CD, pension, or promotion time.  BUT, many CO has his own interpretation of how it works.
Carter, hand me my thinking grenades.

Offline lizbobiz79

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 20:20:14 »
It depends. Your unit has to send you 2 letters by registered mail letting you know that you are NES and you need to turn in your kit or you will owe money for your kit. If has gotten this far, CONTACT YOUR UNIT IMMEDIATELY. You have a minimum of 14 days to respond in some way, as to whether or not you want to be in the reserves.

If you want to still be with your unit, you'll have explain why you were NES (to your supervisor).There may be some sort of consequence, as each unit may have their own way of dealing with NES people.

If you want to release, you turn in your kit, do your clearances and off you go.....

If you don't respond to those 2 registered letters within the time given (it will be stated right in the letter), the process will be started for a 5F release (I can't remember off hand what exactly it stands for, but I think it's non-adventagously employable. If you ever want to be considered for a government job and you have that on your file, you will not be considered). Your kit costs will also be outstanding and eventually go to a collections agency. Also, if you moved and the registered letters go to your old address and are returned to your home unit, they will consider that as you have not responded and will start the release process after the time given on the letter.

Hope this helps, I can't stress enough to contact your unit asap!!!!
It's not about the destination, it's about the journey getting there.

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 20:49:57 »
5f release. From the QR&O's:

Unsuitable for Further Service.

Applies to the release of an officer or non-commissioned member who, either wholly or chiefly because of factors within his control, develops personal weakness or behaviour or has domestic or other personal problems that seriously impair his usefulness to or impose an excessive administrative burden on the Canadian Forces.
f

liz has it pretty much bang on. 2 registered letters, and 5f is BAD. Not only for government, but it might hit you for a security clearance or to get bonded. You let it get to that point, go in and just release.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline ParaMedTech

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 20:54:40 »
Now, that's the way it's SUPPOSED to work, however several areas I've worked have had huge unresolved backlogs of NES pers.  It's one of the Adm worlds priorities to clean it up, but that's not the way it has actually worked in many places.  Releasing someone 5(F) is not as easy as the clerks would like it to be...There are impediments to making it as timely as the pam says it should be, too.

FWIW, I've never seen a unit that has it's NES as under control as the Superintendant Clerk would like it be.
Carter, hand me my thinking grenades.

Offline NSmedicman

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 20:59:24 »
It's not near to the point of becoming NES.....I am just having a difficult time making it to training on a regular basis, due to work commitments....and it's not looking like it may improve any time soon.....if it does get to the point of being a problem.....I may have to do the right thing and release.....thanks for the info.... ;D
"The greatest supporters of peace are those who are sworn to risk their lives when war occurs".

- Gen. Charles Krulak, 31st commandant, USMC

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 21:00:19 »
Now, that's the way it's SUPPOSED to work, however several areas I've worked have had huge unresolved backlogs of NES pers.  It's one of the Adm worlds priorities to clean it up, but that's not the way it has actually worked in many places.  Releasing someone 5(F) is not as easy as the clerks would like it to be...There are impediments to making it as timely as the pam says it should be, too.

FWIW, I've never seen a unit that has it's NES as under control as the Superintendant Clerk would like it be.

I was an RFA(A) Clk (same thing as RSS - only with Communication Command) in Edmonton in 1989.  When I got there, there was a HUGE backlog of NES.  I set up a simple system, on a database (dBase II, I think), which automatically checked last parade dates, and printed the required letters when they were due.  My clerks just put them in an envelope and mailed them.  Within three or four months, our NES list went down to "recents".  No more backlog.  It wasn't that hard - of course, I had a MUCH shorter chain of command than my RSS fellows (Sqn (me) - Gp - Comd).  It does, however, take a concerted effort to keep on top of it.

All that being said - for the original poster - resolve this NOW, one way or another.  Either start parading (and take whatever lumps may be coming your way), or release.  To be released 5(f) is not a good thing.

Roy
I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand.

Linus van Pelt

Offline airmich

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 21:04:04 »
It's not near to the point of becoming NES.....I am just having a difficult time making it to training on a regular basis, due to work commitments....and it's not looking like it may improve any time soon.....if it does get to the point of being a problem.....I may have to do the right thing and release.....thanks for the info.... ;D

Talk to your supervisor about your concerns, before it bites you in the arse.  They may have an alternative for you, or may allow you to work less then what is required but are willing to accomodate you because you have brought it forward. If you suspect that things with your civy job may improve in the future, you can also look at a possible leave of absence.  And remember, you can also request to be put on the supp list instead of releasing completely as it still gives you that foot in the door.  Good luck.
So I'll raise a glass, not the first nor last, Come join me in this toast...Because the old black rum's got a hold on me ~ Great Big Sea

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 21:08:09 »

Forget not ED&T.

Offline steveyb4342

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2008, 20:16:25 »
Sorry I 'm obviously  not using the search function properly, thanks for the info George               

Thanks Steve
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 20:41:28 by steveyb4342 »
If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, you can better serve your country by livin' someplace else.
Stompin' Tom Connors
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2008, 20:33:08 »
Disclaimer: I did try a search before posting as this seems like something I should have been able to find but I came up dry, sorry if I missed it.

Steve

Well Steve 

I don't know how much I can believe you.  Look at all the pages I have found and added your post to. 

You should also look at the Topic on Excused Drill and Training (ED&T).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 20:37:06 by George Wallace »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline lone bugler

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2009, 18:05:57 »
can someone find the definition of NES on an official docoument? I need help because I'm currently NES when I don't believe I should have been put there

the period in dispute is when I last paraded on December the 4th 2008 and next paraded January 22nd 2009 (I parade on Thursdays)

I know that's 6 weeks they are counting me as not parading. but for anyone who's noticed by now this period of absence includes Dec. 25 and Jan.1 (yep X-mas and new years were both Thursdays), I was informed my reserve unit was on stand down during this time, so should it count towards being absent?

I don't know if it makes a difference but the absence was due to university exams and every time I don't show up for training I've notified my section commander in advance (not afterwards...)

any advice on this would be great

"Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder"

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2009, 18:27:46 »
Look for CMP Instruction 20/04 for the exact definition of NES.

NES for Mbrs of the Res F. Except for a mbr of the PRL, a Res F mbr shall be declared non-effective (NES) when their unauthorized absence from duty has exceeded 30 days, during which time no fewer than three duty periods were conducted by the unit. A period during which a mbr has been declared NES does not count toward qualifying svc for promotion, incentive pay, Canadian Forces’ Decoration or clasp, or the RFRG. NES shall not be approved retroactively;
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

bran

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 19:20:11 »
After talking to the unit clerk and due to some confusion I may be declared NES. Although I have put in for a ED&T form as of today so hopefully I'm not already NES. Just a question, would having an NES on your record be a hindrance for applying to CSOR or JTF2 even though it should have easily been avoided.

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2009, 17:23:03 »
If you have a change in your status then its your responsibility to let your Orderly Room/CoC know.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline Ferius

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2010, 13:20:19 »
I think the subject describes my question pretty good.

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 13:40:00 »
I think the subject describes my question pretty good.
Really?  Are you asking if being on Non-Effective Strength will affect a civilian teaching career?
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 13:51:04 »
If you are declared NES, your CO has 60 days to initiate a 5(f) release.... the ramifications of this is that it will affect you attempting to get a Federal Government Job and your acquisition of Crown Land.

Release 5(f) Unsuitable for Further Service.
Applies to the release of an officer or non-commissioned member who, either wholly or chiefly because of factors within his control, develops personal weakness or behaviour or has domestic or other personal problems that seriously impair his usefulness to or impose an excessive administrative burden on the Canadian Forces.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Ferius

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2010, 20:27:02 »
So it would not effect becoming a teacher? Because I thought that teachers worked for a section of the government.

Offline Spanky

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Old Soldier
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2010, 21:00:03 »
NOPE!  It would not affect anything regarding being hired as a teacher, unless you told them, and there would not be reason to. 
Nos superstes inflatus fossor
(We survive pompus fools)

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2010, 21:18:09 »
Because I thought that teachers worked for a section of the government.

They do, they work for a section (department) of the provincial government.

So no, it will not affect being hired as a teacher.
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline Monsoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2010, 21:32:41 »
So no, it will not affect being hired as a teacher.
That being said: how's about you do yourself and everyone else a favour and just fill out the paperwork to release properly? It's not f**king rocket science.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2010, 21:38:22 »
Go in to your armories parade for night to be taken off of NES and then ask to be placed on ED&T. That may give you enough time to sort your crap out.  If not go in to your work and ask to be released.

If you STAY on NES then like everyone is saying you will get kicked out of the military.
That looks horrible for ANY job you apply for.  I wouldn't hire you.   You may not make it to be a teacher either.
You're also owe thousands of dollars to the government for you're equipment.
Good luck getting a student loan for teachers college when you owe the government 4 grand.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline CallOfDuty

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2010, 21:52:57 »
...you don't owe them anything....put your pride aside, go in and release.  Time to man-up.
 :2c:
"I bought a box of animal crackers and it said do not eat if seal is broken.  I opened it, and sure enough...................."