Author Topic: Just got back from CFRC - need some advice  (Read 22102 times)

Offline Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
Re: Just got back from CFRC - need some advice
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 20:31:11 »
My thoughts were to get into to "fighter jet" combat scenarios as opposed to "other" combat scenarios although I am well aware that all aircraft play a role in the bigger picture.

The closest our boys from Cool Pool and Bag-town get to "combat scenarios"  is the occasional intercept of a Bear bomber (4 in past year).  Even when they deployed to Italy for use in Kosovo - they were dropping bombs from altitude.

If you are interested in getting into a stream that is combat driven I would recommend Tac-Hel (Chinooks are coming) or Maritime Aviation (only 3 combat aircraft in the CF, two of them are in support of the Navy).
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline Fireball

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 14:13:20 »
Maybe this should be a topic on it's own but here I go anyway.  With Canada's commitment to purchase only 65 F-35s, how does that affect the # of pilot slots for the next 3-5 years, specifically with those who want to fly fighter jets?  It is conceivable to me that those who are lucky enough to get fighter pilot spots from this point onwards will be gearing up not only to fly Hornets but the F-35s as well.

I'm sure it's too early to tell but I'd like to hear opinions :)

J

Offline Breacher41

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 14:21:40 »
It is conceivable to me that those who are lucky enough to get fighter pilot spots from this point onwards will be gearing up not only to fly Hornets but the F-35s as well.

No. IPs will be sent on 35s first. They're also two completely different beasts.
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

aesop081

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 15:44:56 »
Maybe this should be a topic on it's own but here I go anyway.  With Canada's commitment to purchase only 65 F-35s, how does that affect the # of pilot slots for the next 3-5 years, specifically with those who want to fly fighter jets?  It is conceivable to me that those who are lucky enough to get fighter pilot spots from this point onwards will be gearing up not only to fly Hornets but the F-35s as well.

I'm sure it's too early to tell but I'd like to hear opinions :)

J

Getting way ahead of yourself. On top of that, Canada has commited to buying nothing at all as of yet, let alone the JSF.

Offline Gazoo

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2008, 15:10:53 »
Fireball:
I just finished reading this thread and wondered if you had considered either ANAV or AEC.  If you had, or would consider AEC as an option I can answer any questions you might have as I am an instructor at CFSACO(Canadian Forces School of Aerospace Control Operations).

???

Offline Fireball

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2008, 15:24:27 »
Hi Gazoo,

Thank you for the response.  I know that AEC and ANAV are great fields, but I do have a preference towards driving an aircraft.  It wouldn't be fair to the CF or my colleagues to invest money/time/training in me for other trades if my intention is to remuster in a few years to Pilot.  Not to say it's Pilot or nothing, I would join as an AEC/ANAV if there is a path to Pilot AND my superiors are ok knowing that the above occupations would be a temporary stop (several years) in the long road to Pilot.

How would you handle this situation if you were me?  You have inside knowledge that a great majority of this forum does not.

J

Offline Gazoo

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2008, 15:40:53 »
Fireball:
My first bit of advice would be for you to determine exactly what you want.  From the sounds of it you have your mind set on Pilot.  That's great, and if it is the only thing you want stick to it.  However I believe, based on the info in this thread a couple of things are currently standing in your way:
1 - No degree, and CEOTP 'seems' it's not an option right now;
2 - Eyesight. If you eyes aren't currently suitable for pilot when do you plan to get the surgery, hope it works, wait an appropriate healing time and hope for the best?
3 - Your assesment of 'being 33 years old' and approaching some limitation to becoming a pilot.

As far as there being a path from either ANAV or AEC to Pilot, no it doesn't exist.  However we have had people in the past who have tried pilot first then came to us(AEC), and some who took AEC and tried Pilot later.  The advantage to being a qualified AEC or for that matter any occupation that interests you in the CF, going to Pilot, you will have an occupation to come back to if you are unsuccessful as a Pilot.

But as I said in the first line, if Pilot is all you are interested in, stick with it.  In the CF we really don't want people in occupations they don't like, but I know it happens.  Also in addition to being an AEC instructor I spent 3 years in recruiting in Hamilton.

Hope this helps.

Offline Fireball

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2008, 16:00:39 »
Hi Gazoo,

Thanks for the quick response.  As you have observed, Pilot is what I want and I'm not out to mislead anyone.  I appreciate your honesty and candor.  Just about everything listed as a limitation can be changed with hard work and time (except for age).  33 isn't too old from what I've heard and isn't too young either.  I'd hope that my civvie leadership skills, maturity, experience and enthusiasm would count for "something" during the selection process but I understand that it only makes up a small percentage of the overall score.  I'll hopefully be in line for laser surgery next month.  I'm also waiting to hear back from RMC regarding my Distant Education application to start Sept on a degree.  So many things, so little time.  That's life though!!

Thanks again and I hope I can lean on you going forward if I have any questions/comments or just looking for a kick in the pants!!

J

Offline Gazoo

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2008, 16:09:58 »
No problem.  I'm not retiring for another year, so I'll be around to answer anything I can.